New to Blood Bowl

Moderator: TFF Mods

Deacon.
Rookie
Rookie

New to Blood Bowl

Post by Deacon. »

Hello all,
I'm a new player to BB (having just started at launch of BB2 for PS4) and am very excited to learn and theory bowl with everyone! I always wanted to get into 40k but found the initial investment (both monetary and time) to be daunting. I'm excited to get my feet wet choosing and painting my first TT team, as well as learning how to crush in the online MM environment.

live near San Francisco, California
born in the early 80s

Great to meet you all!
-Deacon.

Reason: ''
GJK
Experienced
Experienced

Re: New to Blood Bowl

Post by GJK »

Hi Deacon, welcome! Playing TT is definitely the way to go. BB2 is fun to look at graphically but I think that it still needs some work (bugs that need to be ironed out).

If you're interested, I'm looking to play online using another way - VASSAL. With it, we could play live or by email (pbem). More info at (www.garykrockover.com/BB/). I'm biased but I think this is a great way to learn the game playing with people that you can chat with during play - there's no countdown timer or rush to get through it. Chatter during pbem is great because what you type appears in your log that you send to your opponent and they can read that when playing back your moves.

Another online way to play is with the very popular FUMBBL (www.fumbbl.com/). It has a HUGE online community that is very organized so if you're wanting to join an online league, this would be the way to go (though the VASSAL module would work as well if you had a group of friends to form a league with).

In any case, welcome and enjoy. I've been playing BB for a couple of years but don't have a ton of games under my belt as of yet (but always looking for more TT or Pbem opponents!).

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
TheAzman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TheAzman »

Welcome to the wonderful world of Tabletop Blood Bowl!!

The guys/gals on TFF are very knowledgeable about a wide variety Blood Bowl topics. Ask anything and someone will most likely have an answer for you. :-)

There is the West Coast Quake tournament coming to Oakland, CA on Jan. 16-17 2016. Just Google West Coast Quake tournament and you should find it. I'll be there with an as-yet-undetermined team to battle it out in my first ever Blood Bowl tournament. ( I've been playing for a number of years, just never made it to a tournament )You should come out, too. The venue is still to be determined, but it's just a short hop across the Bay Bridge for you.

Welcome aboard and have fun!

Winning... it beats losing.
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

Hi and welcome to Blood Bowl.
You've made the right decision and came to the right place! :orc:
GJK wrote:BB2 is fun to look at graphically but I think that it still needs some work (bugs that need to be ironed out).
Also, the rules are slightly different from Tabletop rules.
Changes are minor but it may be confusing.

Anyway, throw some passes, cripple some players, have some fun! :wink:

Cheers!

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Visit thenaf.net for everything you need, hopefully! If you don't find it there, let me know.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Wulfyn
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wulfyn »

Hi Deacon, I know what you mean about 40k! I think a lot of us that used to play that back in the proverbial day find we don't have a huge amount of time for games at that scale anymore. The beauty of bb being it doesn't take a big investment to make a team and games can easily be fit into an evening.

I'd recommend looking at the tournament scene wherever you live. Even the people that take it seriously (trying to win it) tend to not take it seriously (can have a laugh). And it's great to make new friends as well.

What teams are you liking the look of?

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Hi and welcome!
I hope to see you on FUMBBL!
:D

Deacon.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Deacon. »

Hey all and thanks for the warm welcome. Wulfyn I have been really enjoying learning the basics with the orc team in online matchmaking. I'm loving the strenth of the black orcs and the mobility of the blitzers. I have tried a few games with each of the bb2 teams online and think I would probably prefer to start with a mobile bash team.
I was looking at getting some used paints etc would this be a good deal?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/tag/5272232821.html

The Oakland tournament sounds fantastic, I'll have to go without a doubt. I'd love to see some tournament games in action after hearing all these recaps on 3DB!