League Question

Moderator: TFF Mods

Toenail
Rookie
Rookie

League Question

Post by Toenail »

I'm running a little league of my own where my brother and I will swap out which teams we coach for and such. I was wondering, do most leagues use the prizes listed in the rulebook for the majors tournaments? And don't you reset after the tournament? So aren't the prizes worthless? (other than for bragging rights)

Reason: ''
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Hi! Sounds like fun :)

A lot of leagues do have playoffs at the end of the season to determine the winner, loosely as described in the rulebook. In my experience they are generally simply called league playoffs, as opposed to the named majors.

A number of leagues do look to incorporate the flavour of one or more of the majors into their season, either with one off games during or after the regular season taking place, or as one off events. How this works is down to the local league commissioner!

The named Majors are now more familiar to many of as large scale annual tournaments, held throughout the world. Check out TheNAF.net or the tournament section for details - there might be one near you that you and your brother can attend!

Finally, a number of leagues allow teams that have competed (or even won) previous seasons to enter the next. This introduces the challenge of long term development strategy to the game, and for many is one of the core areas of enjoyment in the game as you turn that team of no hopers who languished in season 1 into a league winning monstrosity several years on :)

Hope that helps! :)

Steve

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: League Question

Post by Regash »

The idea is to play one team over and over, see them develop, see players leave because of death or injuries.
You do that in a league and you do that in a tournament.
I you snatch the grand prize at the Spike!-tournament, you keep the gold, alright!

You seem to confuse two things:
If, after you played a couple of league matches, you decide to put league play on a halt and play a tournament, that doesn't make your team to reset or vanish afterwards. You just grab the gold you won and bury the dead and go on, back to league play. Your players earn SPP and level up or suffer from injuries, just like normal. The changes to your team will be permanent and you go back to league play with the team you now have.

If you go to attend a tournament, which means you, as a coach/Blood Bowl player go to a place, meet other coaches to play against and, after 1 or 2 days, have a tournament winner, then yes, you will bring a new team created by the rules of this one tournament and after the last match, your team will be reset. You will most likely not be allowed to bring you veteran team to the next tournament. Most tournaments will not account for starplayer points you earned. You usually get an amount of gold and some skills to spend your team.
"What happens in the tournament, stays in the tournament!"

Those two types of tournaments have nothing to do with each other!

Maybe this helps.

adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

Sets up the league as you want.

If you are playing 2-person commonteams league,my suggetstion is play a minileague, let the 2 most succesful teams meet in a "tournamtent final", with special rules or not. If you do and use the major trophy prizes, i don't think spike will be fun in your environment, Blood Bowl might be a little bit to SPP-liberal and the Dungeonbowl trophy just isn't fair. But it is your call. I would start with the Chaos Cup, then finding own rules outfor a custom cup next time, then perhaps another custom cup or the Blood Bowl.

Between season keep the winning teams, and those that were fun, and add on a few rookieteams instead of those you are temporaryly tired of.

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Our league has an unwritten custom that the winning teams are retired, although the plan is to have a tournament of everyone's best teams after 10 seasons. Prizes we give for teams are carried by their coach to the new team to reward them for a good season.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup