Why do wood elves seem to be so hated?

Moderator: TFF Mods

MaximumG
Rookie
Rookie

Why do wood elves seem to be so hated?

Post by MaximumG »

Hi everyone,

Now maybe the above question might reveal how newbie I am but I really don't get why so many people seem to hate wood elves more than the other elf teams and I would like to know why they are hated so much?

I mean fair enough the wood elves have the war dancer which is probably one of the best players out of the box but the rest of the team in my opinion isn't much better than the other elf team and in some cases is worst.

For instance both pro elf and high elf catchers have a strength of 3 where as wood elf catches only have a strength of two so most players will be blitzing wood elf catchers and getting a two die block without an assist which can make it easier to defend against cause you have a pretty good chance of getting a knock down with two dice on at least on of the catchers.

I mean apart from the fact that you have 7 movement lineman which makes this team awful fast I just don't see why they seem to be considered so much better than the other elf teams. High elves and dark elves I believe get armour 8 lineman and armour 8 and blodge is just annoying and high elves have one of the best throwers and pro elves have the best catchers in the game.

It's not to say that I don't think wood elves are tier one i just don't see what makes people consider them better than the other elf teams apart from maybe in tournaments where starting with blodge and leap on two player and the catchers being almost tooled up to go for a one turn town down.

If someone could shed some light on this it would be most appreciated.

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Why do wood elves seem to be so hated?

Post by lunchmoney »

MaximumG wrote:Hi everyone,

Now maybe the above question might reveal how newbie I am but I really don't get why so many people seem to hate wood elves more than the other elf teams and I would like to know why they are hated so much?
Who hates Wood Elves? Care to provide some evidence to back up your claim that "so many people seem to hate wood elves"?

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
MaximumG
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MaximumG »

Hi there,

Maybe hate wasn't the right word. When i say hated I didn't mean in the sense that people actually hate them just that they seem to be considered more powered I suppose it might have been better to say hate to play against them. I would say that this opinion seems to comes from me listening to podcasts like three die block, both down, zlurpcast etc.

From what i have heard it just seems to me that they are considered to be more top tier than the other elf teams and on those podcasts they seem to be regarded as the most powerful of the elves and i am just curious as to why that may be case the other elf teams seem to be just as powerful in my opinion but in different ways so I don't really see why this team could be considered to stand heads and shoulders above the other elf teams but from your response maybe that was just the opinions of the podcasts I listened to and maybe they don't represent popular thought within the blood bowl community.

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

Obviously, no team is so seriously overpowered that it's even largely unbeatable or a shoo-in in a league or tournament. You'll run into people who hate Wood Elves for any or all of the following reasons:

1) They're frustrating to contain. AG4 gives them the ability to get away from a lot of threats, and their speed gives them the opportunity to break away and score in unpredictable ways that can be difficult to defend. Wardancers can waltz into packs of defenders and pop the ball loose, allowing for more of the above. Big plays (aka "elfy %@$#^!) happen a lot, and can send opponents into a rage.

2) They're not "tough guys," so they're easy to mock or pick on in a fluff sense. Getting beaten by dancing, flitting elves breeds haters.

3) Some players think any AG4-based team has it easy, because such a large percentage of dice rolls in the game benefit from it.

4) Undoubtedly, plenty of other reasons that you'll hear (and also hyperbolic amplifications of the above reasons).

That said, people 'round these parts have also expressed tremendous hate of other Elves, Dwarves, ClawPoMBers, Norse, any team that wins a tournament, children, and the automobile, so take it all with a grain of salt. Most players realize that seriously belittling a coach for playing a team that's legal and established in the game is bad form, and you can, one hopes, expect little more than good-natured trash talk across the pitch from an opponent.

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Wood Elfs (GW spelling ;) ) are consistently the team that have the highest win %, both in league and tournament play, so therefore will be the one that most people will dislike facing most.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Bashtastic teams and coaches hate them cos you can kill five of em and they can still beat you by miles.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

I play woodies and the reason I play them over the other elf teams is because of the wardancer. I've just started playing dark elf teams and I like their ability to take a hit, but they aren't wood elves.

The real reason is I think that many people really dislike min/max teams. Bashers hate the speed demons and vice versa. The wood elves are the embodiment of min/max. They run and move around like the wind but crumble if you breathe on them heavily. Some coaches think that's not much of a challenge.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Darkson wrote:Wood Elfs (GW spelling)
Actually GW calls them Wood Elves.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Simple answer: If your opponent has 3 or more Wood Elves on the pitch at any given point in time, then you stand a strong possibility of being bent over and elfed in your dwarf-hole.

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

I hate wood elves because people tend to win against me with them

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

They're one of two races (Undead is the other) that have no real weaknesses at tournament level, and are strong right up until high TV leagues where CPOMB starts hurting them at a rate greater than they can replace.

Unlike most other low AV teams they can mitigate their LOS weakness by plonking a tree on it, and they have two incredibly fast, agile, leaping Blodgers that come right out of the box.

How's that for cheese?

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

Fassbinder75 wrote:...and are strong right up until high TV leagues where CPOMB starts hurting them at a rate greater than they can replace.
Not sure the "C" has much influence on their survivability ;)

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

mawph wrote:
Fassbinder75 wrote:...and are strong right up until high TV leagues where CPOMB starts hurting them at a rate greater than they can replace.
Not sure the "C" has much influence on their survivability ;)
Treemen :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

What effect do you think removing standard A access on Elf Linemen would do for their long term league performance?

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Chris wrote:What effect do you think removing standard A access on Elf Linemen would do for their long term league performance?
Odds are you'd see a lot of Block / Fend linemen instead of Dodge / Fend.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup