High Elf vs Dwarf Strategy - Both New Teams

Moderator: TFF Mods

Warduke
Rookie
Rookie

High Elf vs Dwarf Strategy - Both New Teams

Post by Warduke »

Hey guys, so I have a High Elf team and my week 2 match is against Dwarfs. My lineup is 1 thrower, 2 blitzers (one is out this game w/ injury), and 8 lineman. My opponent has 2 TS, 2 blitzers, 2 runners, 5 blockers.

This is game 2 for both of us. I managed to level a lineman in game 1 and I'm most likely gonna take kick (per coach's recommendations on bbtactics). One of my blitzers picked up a niggle in game 1, he's out this game.

Looking at the Dwarf coach game 1 stats he threw 60 blocks against his opponent so I know he'll block the hell outta me if given the chance. Obviously I wanna dodge outta 2db situations but otherwise how do I keep my team from getting chewed up? Do I always dodge when he has me marked to get away? Obviously that's gonna chew up the rr's. Curious on some general tips on how to play my elves vs his dwarfs.

And a more general question, how long do I hang onto that Blitzer w/ a niggle? Prob build up my team first w/ catchers and then cut him??

Thanks for any help.

Reason: ''
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Re: High Elf vs Dwarf Strategy - Both New Teams

Post by Smurf »

2db is better than a 1d dodge IMO.

You may get luckly enough to get rid of some players but the push backs and not following up would be better.

Blitz his runners at any chance. Without block they out to go down. Removing them from the game may make him think about the ball more.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I’m not entirely convinced that kick is the best choice as the 1 skill to take against dwarfs. You don’t really have the speed to exploit a good kick since all your players bar 1 are MA6.
It’s good but with only 1 player with block this game you may want to consider block or wrestle on the lino.

I’d get an apoth 1st (assuming you don’t already have 1) and replace the blitzer before getting a catcher, catchers are expensive and squishy but they do skill up quickly.

Avoiding too much contact is certainly wise, though your whole team has AV8 and the same strength as the dwarfs so they are not that much better at blocking than you. A common tactic against dwarfs is to spread out so their low MA makes it harder to get 2D blocks and even for them 1D’s are risky.

Rather than dodging away you can block the dwarfs as you’ll only fail 1 in 9 times (1 in 36 for the blitzer turnover wise) compared to 1 in 6. You can use your blitz to block a dwarf away and then ideally keep moving to give an assist to someone else, the free player can then move to do the same.
If you limit the dwarf to a 1 square advancement per turn then they will struggle to score and may need to take risks. Keeping an elf in scoring range late half can be useful if the ball pops loose too.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

the most important thing to remember about playing dwarves is to complain, constantly. I find a constant low whine of expletives is best. I don't enjoy playing the broken lawn ornaments and make sure my opponent is not having any fun as well! :puke:

That being said with no dodge on your team the broken linemen are all paying for a skill that has no effect on the game. play to your strengths, block him off and pass/handoff the ball, with luck you should win by lots. concentrate on the runners and the slayers but WATCH THE SIDELINES frenzy can be a problem

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Warduke
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Warduke »

That's some good advice guys, I appreciate it.

I will make sure I complain a lot too Heff thanks :D