How to avoid quitters in Online League play

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Arioso
Veteran
Veteran

How to avoid quitters in Online League play

Post by Arioso »

..hiho Folks

This goes to organisers of large online leagues. Small Background: We are running the biggest german online bb league for the cyanide client for about 5-6 Years now (about 15000 Games played). We initially had a player base of about 220 coaches who play a league system with the champion being the 1st of league 1. you can advance from lower leagues to higher leagues by achieving good-enough ranking in the season-table (just similar to soccer/football). There is a 1-week per match schedule.

From the beginning we had about 20-30% of our players quitting league play for different reasons (mainly sadness because they didnt perform well, sometimes personal causes)
how do you handle this. in the first seasons we filled the gaps with players that signed late but when you got everyone a spot we had to give def-wins etc. this frustrates

a) the players that wanted to play
b) the orga (us) that had to do a lot of work

how do other leagues handle this. Do you let quitters join again ? do you have a special treatment or "system" that works well against quitting except telling people to think fair and of other players?

Honestly i never had this situation in a tt-tournament before until the last tourney, when an opponent left in the middle of a game while losing against my halfling team yelling "i didnt come to a tournament to lose against halflings" and left the tournament (obviously an online-gamer^^)

nevertheless how do you handle this. any suggestions to keep the players at bay (online) and keeping them playing instead of quitting the league?

Reason: ''
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Re: How to avoid quitters in Online League play

Post by Joemanji »

The short answer is: It can't be avoided totally, but you can certainly build a relationship with people and try to only accept coaches into your league who you trust to complete their games.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I think ukbbl have a test division where you have to complete a season before going into the competitive leagues. Then ban dropouts!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

Get all coaches who sign up to play a season understand that they are expected to play an entire season and ban any that drop out (without good reason). Big leagues are good, but slightly smaller leagues with reliable coaches are even better.

Arioso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Arioso »

You ban the dropouts forever ? We didn't do that yet.

I agree with smaller is better.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Not sure how long they are banned for, it's pretty strict I think.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

And how do they get past banning an account (vs. banning a certain player)?

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Don't know, sorry. Try contacting gavrad76 on the Cyanide forum, he's one of the commissioners and would probably have some better answers!

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WhatBall »

Smaller is better. 220 is absurdly large. At that size it is essentially open play anyway.

I think anywhere from 10 to 32 is good sized league. I prefer 10-16, only going above that if you want separate time zone divisions.
This creates rivalries amongst the coaches, makes the league more yours and theirs.

You will still have quitters, but less of them, and easier to replace if there is some demand for the league.

Javelin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Javelin »

The OCC is also a large Cyanide league and like all such leagues face the same problems. I am not a manager of the OCC, but I do play in it. As far as I know when you sign up for a season you are signing up for 9 games (divisions of 10 teams with a single round robin format). That is a 9 game commitment. Coaches that just disappear during the season are not asked back. I would assume that extenuating circumstances would be reviewed.

As for dealing with those losses mid-season, the OCC allows current coaches to play replacement teams. So my current division is 2C. But if a coach dropped out in 5B there will be a thread stating the race and TV of the team that needs to be replaced. We can normally find some coach currently in the OCC that has a similar team that is willing to play the remaining schedule for the missing team. If I had a similar team and the ability to play a few more matches that season I could step in. Obviously we can't always find a perfect fit, but sometimes a different elf team, different hybrid team, or different bash team around the same TV is the best we can do. It's still better than just handing out admin wins for the rest of the season. Proper OCC teams must start as rookie teams in the OCC and not play any games in other leagues. The rules for replacement teams are softer, but a replacement team will always be retired after the season and won't be allowed to continue the next season. In that way the OCC coaches have their entire list of teams as possibilities when needed for replacements.

I certainly don't know if the OCC handles it perfectly, but they are in the 31st season so its at least a proven sustainable model.

I think the biggest thing is having a team of dedicated admins that will work to replace the missing teams. It's really too much admin work for just one or two people. If you can get volunteers of admin helpers of one admin per every 10 or so coaches it will go a long way to keeping things running smoothly.