NAF Team Challenge - NAF / FUMBBL

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

NAF Team Challenge - NAF / FUMBBL

Post by Purplegoo »

NAF Team Challenge

The second Online NAF tournament of 2016 will be our first fully team-centric event! The World Cup Warm up featured a team challenge element, and it proved to be so popular that this time, teamwork will be the star of the show.

The structure of the tournament will be similar to past online NAF events - 5 rounds of Swiss will be played in (approximately) 30 team groups individually. The teams with the best combined scores will then advance into team v team playoffs.

Looking for a team? Check out our matchmaking thread. Teams should consist of a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 6 coaches. A team captain should be nominated, and he / she needs to follow the instructions in the scoring thread.

In the event you'd like to participate in the NTC as a lone wolf, you're of course more than welcome!

Cheers!

Phil / Goo.

Rulespack Summary

- Non-progression Blood Bowl!

- Team treasury: 1.20 M gold

- Format: 5 games of Swiss in approximately 30 team groups formed according to timezone preference (Europe, America, Oceania)

- Weekly rounds

- Teams consist of 4-6 coaches, and following the group stage (played individually), a playoff phase (team v team) will determine the ultimate winners

- Skill package is 2 double skills, 5 normal, all available before game 1

- Inducement access varies according to racial tiers. Check the rulespack for full details. Ensure you check your Inducement access before application!

Timescale

Rulespack available, full advertising and applications open - NOW!

Tournament kickoff - April 4

Rulespack and Application

The full rulespack is available here, here and here.

Teams should be created using this link, and coaches wishing to play in European timezones should apply here, North American timezones here, and Oceanic timezones here.

Reason: ''
straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: NAF Team Challenge - NAF / FUMBBL

Post by straume »

Nice. I like the rule tweaks, really gives options.

Now to see if I can round up some friends...

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

I'm sure you'll manage that! :)

If not, lone wolves are also welcome to join and contest a Swiss group. No one will miss out on the fun. :)

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

OK! The OP is updated, applications are open... what are you waiting for? GO! :D

Any questions, issues, interests, shout.

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

The rulespack has been updated with the following information:

• Teams must intend to play games with a minimum of 11 players. For those that are allowed, this may include Stars (e.g. you may build a team of 10 ‘rostered’ players and induce a Star for 11)

o Should teams play that have both induced the same Star, the Star will play for both teams

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

All currently applied teams accepted.

6 days of signups to go, and we already have 10 teams declared for the NTC. Strong stuff! Of course, you can apply as a lone wolf, but to look for a team, see the OP for all of the important information.

If you sign up before the weekend, the chances are (no guarantees) that I'll have chance to check your submission and let you know if there is a problem. You'd be surprised how many issues I catch, so it's always worth getting in early to get a second pair of eyes looking over your work.

Get applying, can't wait!

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

14 teams and (no doubt) some lone wolves signed up so far. Come one, come all, four days or so to get in on the action. There is an all Stunty team looking for two coaches, is that you..?

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

72 hours (plus a couple, I sort of mean three days) to go! Get 'em applied!

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

Everything is coming together rather nicely. If you're looking to join us: 9 pm UK time / 10 pm server tomorrow is your deadline.

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

Kickoff is TONIGHT! Get those final applications in!

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

We're away! 134 coaches are drawn and fighting out the NAF Team Challenge.

If you're interested, check out (the soon to be activated) Live Scoring!

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

Hi gang! Please find below the final group PM. We're now moving into the exciting team v team playoff phase, so this is a great time to get involved and watch brilliant Blood Bowl! You know where I am to find out how.

Hi gang!

We are currently reaching the end of round five (just tidying up a couple of final games), and with it, the NAF Team Challenge Group stage. There has been some lovely team-themed Blood Bowl played and a very high game completion rate throughout. Thank you to our brilliant tournament staff, to Wreckage for his great scoring script and to all of you for getting the vast majority of games played without hassle and in good time!

Now for the playoffs! As I look at the (almost) final live score table, Team Hellhound have come top with a very impressive 32 points from a possible 40. Waterbowl Euro Friends join Hellhound in automatically qualifying for the last four on 28; beating out two sides on the same number of points by virtue of using higher tier teams and winning the first tiebreaker.

Wildcard week will be contested between three French teams and Team Fantastic. The Fantastic ones (28 pts) will face Jack the Uber (26), and Joe le Taxi (28) will meet #fumbbl.fr (26) for those final two spots in the four team playoff. There is a very condensed field following closely behind Jack the Uber. The eight teams on 23 points or more will be left wondering 'if only'...

Congratulations to all of our playoff teams, and I'll be in touch with the captains shortly about kicking off the final bracket.

Our top four performing Stunty teams (with the points so close, it would seem too harsh to split them) were Krom72's Goblins and ThierryM's Ogres representing #fumbbl.fr and Zed's 'Flings and SzieberthAdam's Ogres from The Titchy & Stunty Show. It's pretty impressive the #fumbbl.fr playoff team features two Stunties! I think we have discovered the neutral's favourites. ;)

Finally on results, here are the individual group winners. Even though there are no individual playoffs this time, it's always worth calling these guys out. Well done all!

Euro Group 1: Strider84 (Wood Elf)
Euro Group 2: Jokaero (Dark Elf)
Euro Group 3: didier59 (Undead)
Euro Group 4: simon_MLF (Wood Elf)
North America: Wreckage (Slann)

So. What is our next tournament? When the playoffs are well underway, I’ll be across the BB Internet with details of our next event, and this time we're going to Canada for NAF Major link-up action. Be ready find out what a Spike! Magazine trophy tournament will be all aboot (sorry, couldn't resist).

Thanks again for playing and for making the NTC a great tournament. I'll be advertising those big playoff games, I hope you'll tune in with me for all of the fun.

Phil / Goo.

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

A review of Wildcard Week, remember there is still time to join us for the Playoff action!

All right then! Since the Playoff semi-finals have just been randomly drawn, let's review Wildcard Week!

(3) Team Fantastic 2-2-2 Jack the Uber (6)

Third seeds Team Fantastic (Coach / team quoted in order of fixture: Malmir / DE, Relezite / Nec, Wreckage / Slann. JimmyFantastic / Hum, PeteW / CD and Endzone / WE) battled to a 2/2/2 W/D/L with sixth seeds Jack the Uber (Thot / DE, gus.dwarf / Dwa, fxiii / WE, olivierdulac / Nec, Guizmo / HE, Justicium / Und). It could not have been any closer; a hard fought tie in the fixture meant that we went down to tie-breakers to establish who would advance. The first tie-breaker of captain's fixture ended 1-1 between Endzone and Justicium in a classic tier one powerhouse contest. With no winner there, TF advanced due to seeding established in the group stage. The four winning coaches here were Relezite and PeteW for TF, and Thot and olivierdulac for JtU.

(4) Joe le Taxi 1-4-1 #fumbbl.fr (5)

Perhaps it could have actually been closer? ;) Reigning team champions from the WCWU Joe le Taxi (Simon_MLF / WE, Bucks / Ama, azzroag / Und, geggster / Dwa, felix_le / Pact, Nathaniel_FR / CD) managed to draw four games with fellow Frenchmen #fumbbl.fr (Krom72 / Gob, sharkrudi / Khem, Marco27 / DE, Doofr / WE, didier59 / Und, ThierryM / Ogre), and again, the captain's fixture was a 1-1 tie between azzroag and Marco27, so the higher seed advances. But look at those #fumbbl.fr races! If a moral victory exists in Blood Bowl, surely this must have been it? Average tier of team was the first TB in the group stages, perhaps next time it will make it into the playoffs, and #fumbbl.fr will have the last laugh... The two winners here were felix_le and sharkrudi. Well done to you both!

I think you'll agree, Wildcard Week generated two brilliant fixtures that went right to the wire. Many of the games had over ten spectators, and the noise as coaches roared on their teammates was enough to almost blow my speakers. :) The Blood Bowl can only continue to captivate as we move into the final four.

Those all important semi-final fixtures are:

(1) Team Hellhound v Team Fantastic (3) and (2) Waterbowl Eurofriends v Joe le Taxi (4). You can assess the fixtures that have come out of the hat on the group page. The first things that sprang to my attention are the faceoffs between the captains (Strider84 and Endzone in a Woodie-off and mubo and azzroag in Undead v Undead action). It'll also be fun to see how Oventa's Vampires do against JimmyFantastic's Humans, and if nippylongskar's Pro Elves survive Nathaniel_FR's CDs.

Who are your picks? Can you even pick a winner, what with how close it has been so far? Will Joe le Taxi retain their FUMBBL crown? I hope all of the games will be advertised, and we can look on and enjoy these fixtures as they unfold. Exciting stuff! :D

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Why does the top seed face the higher seeded wild card team?

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

As per the rules pack, the final four were randomly generated. Seedings serve no purpose at this stage other than settling ties if the captains draw. Random generation of playoff brackets is a bit of a FUMBBL tradition, but I absolutely see your point. This is still a new format, I might change it next time. :)

Team Fantastic and Joe le Taxi both finished the group stage on 28 points, so there isn't really a benefit to facing one over the other. Indeed, TF have a higher seeding by virtue of using lower tier races than JlT, so you could argue that Hellhound got the plum draw after all! ;)

All 24 remaining coaches are crackers. It's going to be a good watch!