VASSAL Blood Bowl

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GJK
Experienced
Experienced

Re: VASSAL Blood Bowl

Post by GJK »

Hey MD, thanks for that info about FUMBBL. No doubt that it is the premiere way to play BB if you don't want all the glitz and glam of the computer game(s).

Again, I don't want to argue which is better as it's going to be a personal preference. I prefer not to coordinate meeting up online to play - I like coming home from work and having a turn in my email box. We knock out a few turns that night and I'm done playing. I'm a very casual gamer obviously. So with that, I built something that I felt worked for me and the handful of people that have played using it all agreed that it worked very well for them and so I felt it a shame to not share it with other players.

So, it's there if anybody wants to try it out. The install is java and then the vassal program which is a very light footprint on your computer. You try the module out and if it's worth keeping, great. If not, uninstall vassal and you're done.

If anybody wants to meet me online to check it out, I'm more than happy arranging that too. We could have a number of people meet and sync on a game and we could go over how it works.

But seriously, thanks again MD for the info and if I get big and heavy in to BB some day, which could be very likely, I imagine that I'll dig more into FUMBBL and other methods of playing.

Reason: ''
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Wrongfooting
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Wrongfooting »

You can't pitch FUMBBL as allowing for interrupted play in the same way as what PBEM is intended for. The FUMBBL rules specify that you shouldn't sign up for a game if you can't commit to 90-120 minutes of play. That can be a challenging prospect for some people. PBEM allows for 10-15 minute intervals of play separated over a few days. Its a lot slower to finish a game but for some (myself included at times) that can be the only way to play.

The big drawback to PBEM are skills that ask for the opponent's input during your turn - side step comes to mind as the biggest culprit...stand firm is another.

Hegel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hegel »

Wrongfooting wrote:The big drawback to PBEM are skills that ask for the opponent's input during your turn - side step comes to mind as the biggest culprit...stand firm is another.
These skills just slow down the game, but don´t cause problems. I´m playing PBEM matches because I´m eactly in the situation that I can´t commit on hour on a single match. Doing a couple of 10 minute turns per day on the other hand is no problem. Coffee brake, lunch brake, ... in a perfect world there woulkd be a PBEM client for my iPhone :)

GJK
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GJK »

Just an FYI for anybody that has downloaded the module- I've just completed and am uploading v1.0 of the module. Teams are now duplicated and color coded as either "Red" or "Blue". This will make it easy to distinguish the sides on the pitch, even when zoomed far out. Also, it will make it possible to field two teams of the same race, one being red and the other being blue obviously. Finally, the dugouts are only available for a team based on their color so that you can't accidentally place a player in the wrong dugout.

This version can be downloaded from http://www.garykrockover.com/BB/ (link near the top of each page).

Feedback and suggestions or recommendations most welcomed!

-Dean Vernon Wormer
VoodooMike
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by VoodooMike »

wrongfooting wrote:The big drawback to PBEM are skills that ask for the opponent's input during your turn - side step comes to mind as the biggest culprit...stand firm is another.
Ha! I just ran across this thread and as coincidence would have it, was just posting a thread that deals with some of these same topics. (link to the thread in question)

GJK, how did you decide to handle the choices that the other coach might be called on to make during your turn? Did you come up with default actions, or do you have it throw control back to the other player, potentially requiring several back-and-forth trades during a PBEM game in order to complete a single turn?

GJK
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GJK »

VoodooMike wrote:
wrongfooting wrote:The big drawback to PBEM are skills that ask for the opponent's input during your turn - side step comes to mind as the biggest culprit...stand firm is another.
Ha! I just ran across this thread and as coincidence would have it, was just posting a thread that deals with some of these same topics. (link to the thread in question)

GJK, how did you decide to handle the choices that the other coach might be called on to make during your turn? Did you come up with default actions, or do you have it throw control back to the other player, potentially requiring several back-and-forth trades during a PBEM game in order to complete a single turn?
Hi Mike,

Good luck on your digital implementation, I'll look forward to hearing more about it in the future!

As far as the issues that you raise in the other thread; that has been a *zero* issue for us thus far; both in the league that was run last year and in all the pbem games that I've played. Usually the decision on the action to choose for the other coach is fairly simple ('push' as opposed to 'attacker down') but even if it is not it's simply the exchange of one extra log file if there is a choice to be made so it wouldn't hamper game play much, if at all. I play Advanced Squad Leader using VASSAL pbem and that requires several exchanges during the movement/defensive fire phase but it still works. Blood Bowl is not hardly any of that and we've found that you can knock out several turns very quickly and easily. In fact, my dropbox just alerted me that I have a new turn in for a pbem game that I have going now...necro vs dwarf; a good game so far. :)

Keep us posted on how your implementation goes - where can I find out more about it?

-Dean Vernon Wormer
GJK
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GJK »

I'm looking for a pbem opponent after having just finished up 2 pbem games. Ultimately, I'd love to see a league start up. PM me if interested - I can help get VASSAL set up if you're new to it (it's rather easy, really).

-Dean Vernon Wormer
GJK
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GJK »

Hey guys and gals,

In case any of you have downloaded and tried the VASSAL Blood Bowl module, I've just updated it to version 1.1.

This version adds some blood to pitch, sounds and bug fixes. I think that it really plays smoothly and is great if you can't get in a face to face game. It's similar to FUMBBL except that it's quick and easy to set up a live game PLUS you can play it by email (my preferred method).

Check it out if you haven't already: www.garykrockover.com/BB

Enjoy!

-Dean Vernon Wormer
GJK
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GJK »

Version 1.2 is up (www.garykrockover.com/BB). More sounds and flavor. I have a number of Pbem playtests going and I think that it's quite polished; but would appreciate any and all comments/suggestions should any of you wish to give it a try. It works quite well for live play as well too by the way. 8)

-Dean Vernon Wormer
GJK
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GJK »

Preview of v1.3 is available on dropbox here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uyruaka1lirh ... qJAla?dl=0

Several new features added, along with a cleaned up GUI. Mores sounds, more interactive.

Any comments, suggestions, ideas that you may have are most welcomed!

I will be moving it to the website (www.garykrockover.com/BB) after a bit more playtesting is done with it.

-Dean Vernon Wormer
GJK
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GJK »

Folks:

VABBL (VASSAL Blood Bowl) has been updated to version 1.4

Updates include new sounds, a more verbose chat window (more details of what actions the pieces are doing), endzone naming, an easy to spot ball, piece labels, and some minor bug fixes that were identified during playtesting (thanks to the guys that have helped me playtest this project!).

More information and to download, visit:

http://www.garykrockover.com/BB

Hope to see you on the pitch!

(note: the video presentation is of an older build and doesn't contain all of these latest features but will give you an overview of the module)

-Dean Vernon Wormer
hutchinsfairy
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hutchinsfairy »

Personally I'm really relieved to see another Pbem client for BB. I have actually searched a few times for exactly that but only managed to find yours today somehow...

I would see it being most useful for tabletop leagues where two players are struggling to make their match and would otherwise hold the rest of the league up. Forced concessions aren't good for any league so, like you keep saying, being able to offer choices can only be good!

I also appreciate the decision not to try for much automation. I think that makes the client much more inclusive for house rules and potential rule changes.

I do have a few questions though:

1) Are the log files resistant to tampering/editing?
2) I know the log files can be viewed sequentially but can they be joined so that the whole match can be stored as a single file?
3) Can I import a team somehow?
4) Can I renumber players? I can find how to change names and labels but not number!
5) Can I flip the throw-in template for use on the endzones? Only seems to work for the sides of the pitch currently!

GJK
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GJK »

Hello- sorry for the delay in replying to you. I've been away from BB for a few months (just burned out on it) but just this past week I had a couple of people approach me about the module and we now have pbem games going and I'm finding again how much fun that is.

As to your questions:
hutchinsfairy wrote: I do have a few questions though:

1) Are the log files resistant to tampering/editing?
Yes. If you open one in a text/word editor you will see that it is encrypted. Each side is also controlled with a username/password so I can't log into the module as somebody else and do a bunch of moves, save it and then present that as evidence that you did or didn't do something during your turn.
hutchinsfairy wrote: 2) I know the log files can be viewed sequentially but can they be joined so that the whole match can be stored as a single file?
Yup, you can. You basically create one final log file that you record while playing back each of the logs from the game in order. This will create a single file playback of the entire match.
hutchinsfairy wrote: 3) Can I import a team somehow?
That's a good question but unfortunately you can't and offhand I can't think of how that would be done in VASSAL but I'll think on that one. You can however edit the stats and skills for each of the pieces so that when you mouse over them, their stats will match up with what you have on your spreadsheet (or however you track your rosters). One thing that you could do - if your team has lots of skill/stat modifications - is use the last log from a match where you used that team to start a new match. The other side would have to enter their info however unless of course it was a rematch of that previous match. :)
hutchinsfairy wrote: 4) Can I renumber players? I can find how to change names and labels but not number!
This is actually one that I decided that I wanted to update on the module when I went to load a team and the numbers from the online team builder didn't match. What I'm going to do is modify the graphics by removing the numbers altogether and then have a text field in that box so that you can enter your own numbers. That'll probably be something that I start this week.
hutchinsfairy wrote: 5) Can I flip the throw-in template for use on the endzones? Only seems to work for the sides of the pitch currently!
That's another "to fix" items on my list (and that one is a very simple fix).

Thank you for the feedback, this is exactly what I've been looking for!

-Dean Vernon Wormer
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi GJK and Hutchinsfairy,
if you're looking for a pbem league, then you're welcome to join the NTBBL.
The league has been running for several years, and we're currently 25 coaches AFAIK.
Just PM me for details.
Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
GJK
Experienced
Experienced

Post by GJK »

plasmoid wrote:Hi GJK and Hutchinsfairy,
if you're looking for a pbem league, then you're welcome to join the NTBBL.
The league has been running for several years, and we're currently 25 coaches AFAIK.
Just PM me for details.
Cheers
Martin
Thanks Martin, I'm checking it out now. I was just about to begin a pbem game with a friend so he too may be interested. I'm trying to recall what medium you use for the pbem- did you have a java app for it or could we submit our pbem turns via the VASSAL module?

-Dean Vernon Wormer