Why Cyanide BB isn't getting any better...

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Why Cyanide BB isn't getting any better...

Post by Darkson »

Because they'd rather fleece you for more money.

Dungeon Bowl. :roll: :evil:

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Why Cyanide BB isn't getting any better...

Post by WhatBall »

Whenever you've had enough, and feel like giving fumbbl a second chance, I'd be more than happy to meet you on the pitch. Just give me the word.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

How are they going to manage that then?

I’ve seen a few adaptations of Dungeonbowl to the 3rd edition rules but they were never thoroughly playtested. The 2nd edition game was a nice bit of fun but I question it’s longevity as the 1st to score rule makes a huge difference. I could see some nasty basher team caging up in a mega bunker whilst the rest of the team spends the remaining time hunting down the other team. Equally a speedy elf or gutter runner could get lucky and find the ball in turn 1 and score in turn 2 using the teleports.

Also how they go about balancing the teams will be interesting, I wonder if they will stick to just 8 teams. If so it will be hard to include all the races whilst making them interesting and balanced.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Wonder if they'll use the mixed race rules. Which were utterly busted.

The general tactics do boil down to "Wait in your endzone, then boil forward as soon as one of your guys has the ball".

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WhatBall »

Thadrin wrote:Wonder if they'll use the mixed race rules. Which were utterly busted.

The general tactics do boil down to "Wait in your endzone, then boil forward as soon as one of your guys has the ball".
The press release mentions mixed-race, with 3 races to a team.

Play testing? That's for suckers. Just make some dungeon models, reuse the existing team models with new roster files, slap in some teleportation code and sell it to the masses. Who cares about balance?

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Far more important to do this and try and capitalise on these gaming licence tie ups (they have done another awful conversion for confrontation or some such) then actually sort out products like blood bowl that still lack all the stars required for balanced league play...

Can't say I will be buying it.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

I want a polished, bug-free, CRP-compliant BB (with all Star Players and teams), but considering Cyanide's legendary incompetence, it's not going to happen.
Dungeonbowl is going to be another huge disappointment.

Spiky
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Spiky »

It looks from the press release that it's online only, meaning at least there will be no crappy a.i.

Also means I will not be buying it unless our tabletop league dries up...

Geocaching - The most fun you can have with a smartphone and a pencil
First official recipient of 'The Glowworm Award'
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Thadrin wrote:Wonder if they'll use the mixed race rules. Which were utterly busted.
Yes, Dungeonbowl will feature mixed race teams.
From the official site (in red the part about mixed race teams):

"Cyanide announces Dungeonbowl on PC.

We are pleased to announce the upcoming release of Dungeonbowl. This online only game is played with characters from Games Workshop's renowned Blood Bowl world.

Dungeonbowl is the next exciting Blood Bowl experience, set in the fantasy American Football inspired game world already adapted as a video game by Cyanide. The key difference between Dungeonbowl and Blood Bowl as is rather obvious from the name, is that Dungeonbowl is played in a dangerous dungeon!

The wizards created the Dungeonbowl as they wanted to know which Magic College was the most powerful. The game introduces some subtle modifications to the standard Blood Bowl rules. A match is still played between two teams, but each side is composed of three races. For example, the roster of a Rainbow Wizards team contains Wood Elves, Halflings and Humans. The second difference is that the first team to score a touchdown wins the match. This task is made significantly more difficult by the fact that the ball is hidden in one of six treasure chests, five of which are booby-trapped with an explosive spell. Last, but by no means least, movement within the dungeon is both facilitated and complicated by teleporter pads. These allow players to magically zap from one position to another; a mishap, however, can lead to a player being zapped out of the match. As with Blood Bowl, the game is driven by dice and each player plays in turn.

Dungeonbowl continues Cyanide's successful collaboration with Games Workshop and their rich and varied Blood Bowl world. The gameplay should therefore delight existing Blood Bowl fans as well as offer a gateway to this zany parody of Warhammer®and American Football for fans of tactical sports gaming.

Dungeonbowl is scheduled for release in the second quarter of 2012 and will be available on the Windows PC."

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

MattDakka wrote:
A match is still played between two teams, but each side is composed of three races. For example, the roster of a Rainbow Wizards team contains Wood Elves, Halflings and Humans.
This is the part I want to know about.

Does that mean you can have Wardancers, wood elf catchers and throwers and some cheap fodder human linemen? Maybe a halfling or 2 as they might be quite good with stunty. Are Treemen part of the wood elf and fling roster or a separate race?

I hope they won't follow the old version too closely as that was designed for 2nd edition teams and a lot more teams have been added since. Also there is quite a lot more variety in the positionals too.

I can't really begrudge them releasing Dungeonbowl as at least that is a new game in it's own right. They are very cheeky asking people to pay full price 3 times (with a slight discount for the 2 follow ups if you had the original) for a game that will still miss 2 teams and a lot of the stars. Not to mention all the issues, how can they still not fix the formations option?

If they'd done the original with 8 teams 1/3 of the stars and all the inducements and fully lrb5 compliant I don't think that would have been too bad. They could then do legendary with another 8 teams, 1/3 more stars and make it crp compliant before bringing out the last version with the remaining team and stars that GW would let them. Sadly they wasted a lot of time and effort making rubbish that no one wanted, asked for or uses. Real time and blitz mode are a complete waste of time, maybe they could have chucked them into one of the sequels as a bit of fun.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
dsavillian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dsavillian »

While likely terrible, it might be a good pickup via steam sale at christmas time. if I can get it for $5 or less, I might try it.

Coach of the Fancy Lads
Blood Bowl League of Calgary
http://twitter.com/bloodbowlcgy
@dsavillian on twitter

It's called Blood Bowl, not Fun Bowl
Gremdel
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gremdel »

I'll probably buy it. It's still Blood Bowl(ish) and I love it, warts and all. Sure, I get more enjoyment out of real life Blood Bowl and FUMBBL, but it's still better than most things I spend money and time on. And at least this is a relatively new twist that isn't duplicated in my real life league or FUMBBL.

My crazy hypothesis: as part of their contract with GW, Cyanide is required to create a Dungeon Bowl video game to correspond with a new release of the Dungeon Bowl board game. So, I expect to see an announcement from GW within the next month. However, that might also mean that the computer game is only good enough to fulfill their contractual obligations (hence the online only aspect).

PapyHarzen
Experienced
Experienced

Post by PapyHarzen »

spubbbba wrote: If they'd done the original with 8 teams 1/3 of the stars and all the inducements and fully lrb5 compliant
From Jeuxonline.com forum, Siamoize (Siam from Cyanide) said:
"On a adapté avec le CRP, oui."
Translation: "We adapted with the CRP, Yes"

Thus, you can expect another work of amateur... :-?

Papy

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

spubbbba wrote:
MattDakka wrote:
A match is still played between two teams, but each side is composed of three races. For example, the roster of a Rainbow Wizards team contains Wood Elves, Halflings and Humans.
This is the part I want to know about.

Does that mean you can have Wardancers, wood elf catchers and throwers and some cheap fodder human linemen? Maybe a halfling or 2 as they might be quite good with stunty. Are Treemen part of the wood elf and fling roster or a separate race?
I've just asked that for you on the official forum, I hope we'll get an answer: :D
http://www.dungeonbowl-game.com/forums/ ... 81446#p249

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Didn't the old DB rules have limits on certain player types so that you couldn't do that?