BB PC Game League

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

styphon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by styphon »

Jural wrote:
styphon wrote:Just so you know, number of teams must be divisible by 4. Or that was the case in the beta so we're assuming it's true for the final version.
30 IS divisible by 4.
Really? Last time I checked 30/4 = 7.5. 28 and 32 are divisible by 4.

Reason: ''
Proud member of the Herts & Essex Blood Bowl League - http://www.hebbl.co.uk
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

no one said it had to be divisible to an integer

styphon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by styphon »

Well that's just being pedantic. If someone says it must be divisible by a number, they generally mean it must be a whole result. What the hell is the point in having 7.5 teams playing a week???

Proud member of the Herts & Essex Blood Bowl League - http://www.hebbl.co.uk
swntzu
Experienced
Experienced

Post by swntzu »

This why people hate geeks.

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

... and why Jural hates qualitative data. He knows that even if he never slips up ever again we'll still rip the piss out of him for this one time and again :D

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

styphon wrote:What the hell is the point in having 7.5 teams playing a week???
Most of my squads seem to only have half a team. :-?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
dazlamb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dazlamb »

Divisible by 4 would make more sense for a knock out tournament....
As for league I would say it should be Casual play any team a maximum of twice over 6 months then have a cup competition(So divisible by 4 does make some sense). It would be nice if everybody played each other but I would not want to penalize anybody for not getting enough games in.
30 does seem a lot to me to no everbody on TBB is going to get the game and not all of them would want to join the league 16 would be a good number.

What hints could I get from long running fummbl leagues?

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

call me silly, but why is there even a limit

why not have it unlimited and whoever wants to join can?

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

An open format is generally quite easy to run. While it has numerous disadvantages these are all known well in advance by all parties and are often a fair exchange for the advantages in flexibility. All you need to define is:
- points (3 for a win? :))
- restrictions (dont play the same team 24 times in a row)
- deadlines (the league finishes in exactly 3 months, 12 days, and 27 seconds)
- who wins/playoffs (so it doesnt appear abitrary or unfair when at the end)

I wouldnt worry too much about the KO tournament at the end. Just as long as you know how large it will be, when it will be, and who will qualify (e.g. the top 16 teams) then you should be absolutely fine. The big advantage of an open format is that people can join whenever they please :)

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Stonekloud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stonekloud »

I would be up for a league I dont have to worry about some DC if I happen to be ahead in a game. US Central.

Ergukrael
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ergukrael »

Don't get your hopes up on private league flexibility. Sure, you'll be able to create one, but I suspect it won't have the level of customization that some of your are hoping for.

OTOH, pay attention to the stuff that gets posted up on bloodbowldigital.com in the next few weeks. Some of the stuff coming soon has to do with pulling files so you can track stats better. With it, you could theoretically just leave teams in the open ladder, and have league members upload their match reports.

It then becomes a tradeoff: External regulation vs. flexibility.

Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

styphon wrote:Well that's just being pedantic. If someone says it must be divisible by a number, they generally mean it must be a whole result. What the hell is the point in having 7.5 teams playing a week???
Sorry, it's a quote (paraphrase) from the movie "Little Man Tate". I guess I'm the only one who saw that movie?

I wasn't trying to be pedantic, just bring a smile to the face of some :) But at least somebody called me a geek- things are looking up this Monday morning ;)

Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

SillySod wrote:... and why Jural hates qualitative data. He knows that even if he never slips up ever again we'll still rip the piss out of him for this one time and again :D
I love qualitatitive data! It allows me to win less than half of my games but claim I'm a great coach.

pyttroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pyttroll »

Just to let you know, the max # of teams per league is 32. This mean we might have to create multiple leagues to fit everybody.

The other option would be to have all our teams in the public league and manage the league externally using a tool like the OBBLM.

Pyt

Most sporting - Golden Sweetbun 2009
wedge22
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wedge22 »

If a league can only have 32 teams maximum then it makes sense that these teams are based out of the same timezones or very similar ones.