Tactics, not Development

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

honeycomb kid
Experienced
Experienced

Tactics, not Development

Post by honeycomb kid »

I'm a somewhat seasoned coach and I don't really need help with skill selection but was wondering if anyone had any info on what I believe is a much more important (and often neglected) part of the game: set-ups for/and offensive and defensive plays (though these are more difficult). This is something you often see rookie coaches ignore and this makes all the difference.

Does anyone know of any links for this type of stuff (looking for undead in particular)? Nearly all of the links I've checked follow 3rd ed or 4th ed not LRB and talk about werewolves and vampires being "key contributors," and I don't think the plays will work for the non-vamp/wolf roster. I checked out that french site that has the defensive playmaker, pretty cool, but looking for something more race specific.

Thanks

Reason: ''
Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

Unfortunately there are very few strategy articles written for LRB, we're all too busy arguing... :wink:

-Balrog

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

We are not! ;)

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
Hox-ii
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hox-ii »

Galak's website has a collection of links to tactics and strategy - there are some undead links with information on setups for defense and offense.

http://www.blood-bowl.net/Tactics/BBTactics.html

Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

Hox-ii wrote:Galak's website has a collection of links to tactics and strategy - there are some undead links with information on setups for defense and offense.

http://www.blood-bowl.net/Tactics/BBTactics.html
Yeah, but like he said, they are almost all for 3rd edition, not LRB. Things have changed quite a bit...

-Balrog

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Re: Tactics, not Development

Post by DoubleSkulls »

honeycomb kid wrote:I believe is a much more important (and often neglected) part of the game: set-ups for/and offensive and defensive plays
LOL - there is far too much focus on setups! Have a look on http://www.blood-bowl.net Also there have been lots of posts on the subject here. Use the search function

Attention focuses on setups because they are the only real set piece in the game. After the 1st turn of a drive everything is so fluid that its difficult to give opinions.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
D'Arquebus
Experienced
Experienced

Post by D'Arquebus »

ianwilliams wrote
LOL - there is far too much focus on setups!
I would have to disagree. It is true that they are the only set pieces in the game and so would lionise alot of attention. However, for new players or people struggling to become better they are very important.

I do not think that anyone can argue that a poor set up can seriously handicap you for a particular drive, and depending on the results of that drive, possibly for that whole game.

Heck, my last game against my main Human rival saw me almost lose 3-0. Only at the end did I refocus and execute a solid 6 turn TD running play. Before that on offense I had set up to losely and a early poor roll and turnover let him through my line. He then easily tied up my players in tacklezones and left me with only 1 dubious chance to stop him from scoring on the second turn of my drive!

This all came about as a result of trying to win it on the line on defence. His agility let him slip through easily and by not having a deep defence I could not scramble adequately to stop him.

Set up can be a game maker or breaker.

I am of course aware of the irony of this post considering Balrog's
Unfortunately there are very few strategy articles written for LRB, we're all too busy arguing...
:oops: :D :D :D

Unfortunately, other then defending the need to have a good knowledge of set ups, I will have to leave it to others to carry the day. Uni assessments are looming and its very late at night here in the "Land Down-Under". I look forward to catching up on this thread in a few days time.

13th to 24 Teams Worldwide :)

www.ausbowl.com - The Home of Australian Blood Bowl.
www.nzbbn.com The Home of New Zealand Blood Bowl

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Wasn't someone putting a list together of all the setups with a nice diagrams?

I can't remember who, but I remember suggesting a couple.

My standard defence (where strength/speed are relatively even)

Code: Select all

-----------------
____|__XXX__|____
____|_______|____
__X_|X_X_X_X|_X__
_X__|_______|__X_
Its got no real gaping holes that are easy to exploit and apart from the wing guys you have to put me down to get throw the TZs. If you are worried about being outflanked you can always pull one of the central guys back a bit further.

You can try 3-4-4

Code: Select all

-----------------
____|__XXX__|____
____|_______|____
_X__|X_____X|__X_
_X__|X_____X|__X_
If you are confident of holding the middle section or unconcerned by your opponents speed down the middle.

Most other formations really rely on having high S, stand firm or sidestep to be very effective.

There are lots of possibilites - most are completely useless unless you know the two teams involved.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
kaboom
Super Star
Super Star

Post by kaboom »

i use every time 3-4-4! it's rulez

wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

depends on race and opponent's race. If I'm elves I usually play a 3-6-2 or a 3-7-1. If I'm orcs I'll tend to load the line a bit more, maybe a 5-5-1 or a 4-5-2, or whatever, again depending on opponent. :)

Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

sorry, i dont find an old thread about position...
better ask DW on this one, there were a lot of examples

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

ianwilliams wrote:Wasn't someone putting a list together of all the setups with a nice diagrams?

I can't remember who, but I remember suggesting a couple.
Yep, try:
http://uk.geocities.com/martyn_quick/defense.html

Martyn

Dark Elf Blitzer 8/3/4/8 Block, Dodge, MA+1, Shadowing, Side Step, Tackle