Treeman for WE: Essential?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

StillGas
Experienced
Experienced

Treeman for WE: Essential?

Post by StillGas »

My Wood elf team is currently developing rather nicely and I was wondering what the views are of treemen. This is under LRB mind so no 4 deeproot front line for me!

My current team is:

2 WD (1 strip ball, 1 side step)
10 LE (1 st 4 + block, 1 block, 1 dodge)
1 thrower (just signed)
FF 9
2 RR
TR: 141
Now I'll probably sign a couple of catchers next but after that I don't know whether to go with another thrower, more catchers, or a treeman.

By the way a BIG thanks to those who gave me advice on the "Rookie WE vs Nasty Orcs" thread; played them last night and had a resounding 4 - 1 victory! :D I got iron man and bad press (no use that one) on handicap table, and despite having to start with 8 men (he's got the Chaos Cup) and kicking I still scored first. My iron man frustrated his ogre for the entire match :) , his DP got sent off after his first foul :) ( only a stunning) and he didn't bring his chainsaw goblin on till the start of the second half (when he kicked off) and, after seeing half a dozen elves bearing down on him, legged it rather than trying to start his weapon. I scored 2nd turn, goblin sent off, happy elf coach! If only it always went so smoothly :wink:

Reason: ''
Nuffle Sucks!

Novice Heretic
Nuffle Blasphemer's Association
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Far from essential. Actually, a lot of people are pushing to have it removed from the wood elf team completely.

Now if you're asking whether it would help to have one, the answer is yes. Most people would advise however to wait until you have 14 or 15 players before buying one.

Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

Just a question out of curiosity here, but what benefit does the Chaos Cup give teams in your league? We have it give the holder one handicap in every game in ours.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
StillGas
Experienced
Experienced

Post by StillGas »

Skummy wrote:Just a question out of curiosity here, but what benefit does the Chaos Cup give teams in your league? We have it give the holder one handicap in every game in ours.
Sorry I wasn't clear. He rolled the delay d6 players result on the handicap table; it's not some warped house rule, honest! As I say, it didn't really help his cause 8)

Nuffle Sucks!

Novice Heretic
Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

No worries - I thought you might be using the handicap cards, since the rules for the tournaments actually say to do so. Come to think of it, those rules could stand some clarification by the BRRC. I'll add that to Galak's list.

EDIT: Seems I was misremembering the new LRB - handicap cards and new tournament prizes have already been added :oops: .

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
lyannou
Experienced
Experienced

Post by lyannou »

IMO treeman are not essantial if all teams of your league are not strong team. I will go for more receiver... imagine four players with a movement of 9 and 2 wardancers 8) Your opposite coach will loose his head :wink:

kaboom
Super Star
Super Star

Post by kaboom »

no!
WAR DANCER ARE ESSENTIALS!

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Essential? No. Cool? Yes!

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
Mirascael
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mirascael »

As far as my FUMBBL-Woodies are concerned I'd say yes. It's amazing how much damage they absorb and how much cash they saved until now. Therefore, if your league has a high casuality rate, a Treeman might be worth a serious consideration. I wouldn't like to miss him. :smoking:

At higher TRs opposing teams with lots of PO/MB/DP/Tackle (not to speak of RSC/Claw) can destroy half your team (at least) easily. A tree at the line simply means one elf less to hit (50% chance of him being there first half and 50% you're receiving means 75% you can put that tree on the line at the beginning of your kicking half). The tree can become a major distraction, too. Just avoid the mistake of relying on your tree as an active player - you play elves primarily, don't let yourself being distracted by your own tree.

Hox-ii
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hox-ii »

You know...

With my first Wood Elf team, I was all excited to pick up that treeman. Finally, I would have someone who could counter that nasty minotaur from the Norse team in our league!

On turn two, the minotaur was forced to block my treeman because of WA. My luck being as it was, 2 pows were rolled. Armour was broken. Casualty caused. Serious Injury. Niggle. Lovely!

I decide to use my apothecary straight away, since I just spent a wad of cash on that treeman - didn't want to have that treeman tainted already.

Two turns later... the minotaur is two spaces away from the treeman as the treeman just stands up. The minotaur blitzes... horns gives him the ability to do a one die block. Rolled a skull/pow, so we both topple. Minotaur was fine...

As for my treeman? Yes, he died. Turn four of his first game, and he collapses.

My wood elf team was retired right then and I began making a dwarf team. :roll:

Heiper
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Heiper »

Thats a really unlucky first game for your treeman.

But back to the topic. It really depends on what teams you meet in your league. My woodies are now coming up in a league with 2 undeads, 1 chaos, 1 orc and a lizzie team. I'm buying that Treeman to handle some of the strength up on the line. But I have 14 players already, so this is number 15.

If you play in a league that is about equal with hard hitting and running teams, I would drop the treeman. He will bring down the movement of your team alot. As someone else said, meeting four MA9 catchers and two MA8 WDs is scary when you have to defend yourself :-D (not to forget the MA7 linemens too)

So, in a hardhitting league, Go treeman, if not, drop him. He can screw the game without that RR on his blocks.

-Heiper-
wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

Heiper wrote:So, in a hardhitting league, Go treeman, if not, drop him. He can screw the game without that RR on his blocks.

Nah, the point isn't so much that he even makes blocks. If he's going to make a block that would get you in trouble with double skulls, don't make the block. The usefulness of a tree on a wood elf team isn't that he can hit people. It's that he's hi St and hi AV so you can put somebody on the line who isn't a wood elf!

The other thing he's good for is to distract your opponent. I can't count the number of times my opponent has piled 5 guys to take down the tree while I'm running by and scoring. In fact I encourage this with a little psychology...be all concerned when the tree goes down, and say something like "well crap, now he'll have to roll just to stand back up!". Encourage your opponent to hit the tree all the time without being obvious about it. You'll win SOOOO many games just that way. :)

So yes get the tree. :)

Veteran
Veteran

Post by zeroalpha »

Without being essential, i think that you can easily find a use for a treeman on a wood elf team.

So i guess, essential no, useful very.

StillGas
Experienced
Experienced

Post by StillGas »

wesleytj wrote:
Heiper wrote:So, in a hardhitting league, Go treeman, if not, drop him. He can screw the game without that RR on his blocks.

Nah, the point isn't so much that he even makes blocks. If he's going to make a block that would get you in trouble with double skulls, don't make the block. The usefulness of a tree on a wood elf team isn't that he can hit people. It's that he's hi St and hi AV so you can put somebody on the line who isn't a wood elf!

The other thing he's good for is to distract your opponent. I can't count the number of times my opponent has piled 5 guys to take down the tree while I'm running by and scoring. In fact I encourage this with a little psychology...be all concerned when the tree goes down, and say something like "well crap, now he'll have to roll just to stand back up!". Encourage your opponent to hit the tree all the time without being obvious about it. You'll win SOOOO many games just that way. :)

So yes get the tree. :)
I like that! What's more my opponents would sooooo fall for it!

I think once I have my 2 catchers, the tree will be no 16 in my squad.

Nuffle Sucks!

Novice Heretic
NightDragon
Legend
Legend

Post by NightDragon »

Treemen are awesome if around, but I don't think you need to rely on them. Just dodge your front line out, you don't need to fight at all.

NUFFLE SUCKS! NUFF SAID!
Heretic
[img]http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=4dd13d90-202c-2355-3cbb-46081754461c&size=[/img]