Anyone tried Multiple Block on a big guy?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

VorTeX
Veteran
Veteran

Anyone tried Multiple Block on a big guy?

Post by VorTeX »

Hi there,

just thinking about what skill to give my ogre next. He already has block. And now i m thinking about giving him Multiple Block. Flanking him with two Guard Blitzers could be effective.
But i never played a guy with Multiple Block. Any tips on that?
Or should i better take another skill?
The rest of my team can be found here http://home.arcor.de/bloodbowlers/blood ... bblers.HTM

Thanks for any tips.

Reason: ''
Let´s bowl. League, teams, pics and other stuff...
http://www.dbb-liga.de/ ...free for all.
wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

i'm not a fan of multiblock....it always sounds great in theory but it never seems to work out in the actual application without a lot of work (which means you're worrying too much about that and not enough about the actual flow of the game)...you're orcs, you shouldn't have any trouble hitting people with your black orcs, blitzers, etc...your ogre only really needs to hit 1 per turn. :)

I'd give him stand firm. Makes him a much bigger pain in the neck...that immovable force in the middle of the line. Or guard...makes the people around him even more secure, same basic idea. If you don't like either of those go with tackle.

Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Multiple block is quite nice if u have block. Just dont think u have to use it every turn.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Pro, Pro, PRO.

Sorry, but Pro is a must. It reduces the chance of failing a Bonehead to ~1/10 and gives you a chance of surviving double skulls. On top of which you can use it to help you put people down.

Maybe take Multiple Block after Pro. It would work quite well, especially on a +ST Ogre.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
D'Arquebus
Experienced
Experienced

Post by D'Arquebus »

wesleytj said
i'm not a fan of multiblock....it always sounds great in theory but it never seems to work out in the actual application without a lot of work (which means you're worrying too much about that and not enough about the actual flow of the game)...
I would agree with this. I think ST 6 would be my requirement on a player before I bothered. I have seen Multiple Block with ST 6 cause immense grief and that with ST 5 hardly any. The extra point of ST makes an enormous difference. The first only needs 1 assist for a 2 dice hit, the second needs two, plus the favourable setup ie both opponents adjacent etc.

I would also probably go with Guard. I did in my Chaos team. I found the Bone Head was often left till late in the turn (or not used at all) as he could not be trusted to a) act at all, or b) succeed (no reroll). This way he helps the whole team around him by just being large, immovable, and there. It has worked a treat. Of course if you luck out and get +1 ST definitely go for Multiple Block.

13th to 24 Teams Worldwide :)

www.ausbowl.com - The Home of Australian Blood Bowl.
www.nzbbn.com The Home of New Zealand Blood Bowl

kaboom
Super Star
Super Star

Post by kaboom »

i dont like multiple block, exept if you have some guard in your team/

Redfang
Legend
Legend
Location: With the wife, watching Zara and the Hasslefree chick from behind their bedroom curtain...

Post by Redfang »

I got my ogre (in my old Dwarf team) guard as his second skill; this makes both him and the players around him (often Longbeards with..... Guard) a lot stronger and more secure.

I would definitely go with guard

R

Ik wou dat ik twee blondjes was,
Dan kon ik samen spelen.

[size=67][url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334]Bragging[/url][/size]

What keeps me busy nowadays: [url=http://www.bruchius.com/]Fun with violence.[/url]
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

wesleytj wrote:I'd give him stand firm.
Stand firm requires a double. Might as well have said, "i'd give him dodge". Of course you would, but you can't!

How come nobody has suggested piling on yet? It's the obvious choice really. It's so good that you shouldn't even be considering anything else.

D'Arquebus
Experienced
Experienced

Post by D'Arquebus »

Zombie said
How come nobody has suggested piling on yet? It's the obvious choice really. It's so good that you shouldn't even be considering anything else.
To which I would reiterate
I would also probably go with Guard. I did in my Chaos team. I found the Bone Head was often left till late in the turn (or not used at all) as he could not be trusted to a) act at all, or b) succeed (no reroll). This way he helps the whole team around him by just being large, immovable, and there.
Yes, Piling On is terribly effective for the individual but the Guard skill helps the whole team probably as much. My Chaos team mentioned has an Undead opponent with a PO Mummy. The Mummy gives me a great deal of pain and took out several key players during our last game. However, I won and in the end it was because my Ogre got into the scrums for the ball (there were two major ones in the game) and helped to tip the balance and then tie up alot of the Undead team. Even with the players taken off the field for the PO Mummy, a ST 5 player successfully manouvered can help counter the player deficit.

Another example against the same team, the second to last game I managed to tie up 3 Ghouls and 1 Blitzer with 1 Beastman with Tackle and the Ogre. They couldn't dodge out (at least 4+ no reroll) and couldn't hit their way clear (because of Guard).

13th to 24 Teams Worldwide :)

www.ausbowl.com - The Home of Australian Blood Bowl.
www.nzbbn.com The Home of New Zealand Blood Bowl

Fronko
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Fronko »

I have a strength 6 ogre in an (almost) all-guard, all-MB dwarf basher squad. So far he only got the strength increase, nothing else. What will be next, block, multi-block, piling-on or MB?

Thanks for your help...

[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/DesTroy1968/nba3-1.gif[/img]

Official wesleytj fan.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Fronko wrote:I have a strength 6 ogre in an (almost) all-guard, all-MB dwarf basher squad. So far he only got the strength increase, nothing else. What will be next, block, multi-block, piling-on or MB?

Thanks for your help...
Well as you've already got MB that's helped shorten the list.

A lot depends on your style of play and how you intend to use the Ogre.

If his primary job on the team is getting casualties Piling On is the best choice.

If his job is to act as a roadblock, Block is the best choice.

Multiple Block, IMO, is less useful until you already have Block and Pro. No point blitzing if you fail the bonehead roll. However it would be a very tempting 3rd or 4th skill.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Redfang
Legend
Legend
Location: With the wife, watching Zara and the Hasslefree chick from behind their bedroom curtain...

Post by Redfang »

I'd go for Block, or Guard.
Probably Block, I can never stand having 1 player in my Dwarf team without block... I always tend to roll Skull/pow results with that kind of players...

R

Ik wou dat ik twee blondjes was,
Dan kon ik samen spelen.

[size=67][url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334]Bragging[/url][/size]

What keeps me busy nowadays: [url=http://www.bruchius.com/]Fun with violence.[/url]
Fronko
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Fronko »

Yeah, ok, MB was my mistake. :)

I'd rather take PO then. I can't seem to get any cas at all with these dwarfs, so maybe at least my big guy will deliver some. grumble ....

Or pro perhaps...

[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/DesTroy1968/nba3-1.gif[/img]

Official wesleytj fan.
Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

PO would be awfully tempting. Whenever you knock 7 armor player down, it's an automatic +1 injury roll. That should get you to your third skill pretty quickly.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]