Rookie Woodelves (TR: 123) due to play nasty orcs

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

StillGas
Experienced
Experienced

Rookie Woodelves (TR: 123) due to play nasty orcs

Post by StillGas »

I can put this off for only so long (seeing as I live with the orc coach!) but its not a nice prospect. The orcs are coached by a sadistic swine and have a TR of about 170. 3 black orcs (unskilled), Ogre (block), and chainsaw wielding maniac are my main concerns. Oh and his DP. What do I do? :cry:
So far I've had a couple of games against lizard men and have the following side
1 WD (strip ball)
1WD
1 line-elf (block)
1 line-elf (strength 4; he has 3 casulties in 2 games :wink: )
8 line-elves (1 missing for next match)
1 apoth
I've been pleased with the way I've been able to keep out of harms way so far but the prospect of playing someone who is unlikely to play the ball (and he WILL gibber manically when making that casulty roll!) makes my blood run cold. Is it worth the risk? I do like a challenge but then I don't want an obliterated team so early on.

Reason: ''
Nuffle Sucks!

Novice Heretic
Nuffle Blasphemer's Association
Fronko
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Fronko »

The only thing I can recommend is the"Don't-hit-but-run" tactic.

Just try to stay out of any orcs way. Unfortunately you don't have much dodge, so it will be hard, but it's your only chance. Don't try and hit anyone, unless you can free the ball or you get a decent shot (2dice with block skill) at his chainsaw pal. Leap might help in that. When he's grounded, hit him hard with a lineelf (foul). If you can get that guy out of the game, the biggest threat is removed. As for the black orcs/ogre: You should be able to avoid them, or block their way with an unskilled lineelf.

Talking about unskilled lineelves: They should be on the LOS. Don't waste your skilled players there, they WILL take a beating.

Your game plan should be to score as often as possible. You have strip ball, use it. Try to blitz the ball carrier, before he is in the cage. The more drives you have, the more opportunities are there to recover ko'd players and less opportunities for him to gang up on your players. New setup means you have few players in base contact.

So, take the ball as often as you can and score.

[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/DesTroy1968/nba3-1.gif[/img]

Official wesleytj fan.
martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

I agree with Fronko - as soon as that chainsaw is running knock that guy over. The +3 modifier on AV works nicely against the chainsaw wielder and will probably see him off the pitch pretty quickly.

Martyn

Dark Elf Blitzer 8/3/4/8 Block, Dodge, MA+1, Shadowing, Side Step, Tackle
StillGas
Experienced
Experienced

Post by StillGas »

Cheers for the advice. I've managed to fit a couple of games in for tonight before that showdown so fingers crossed I'll be in a slightly better position. It is nice to have recently taken charge of a race that can do stuff: For the past four years I've had seriously mixed fortunes with the undead and have had enough of dying ghouls (particularly when they get hit by rocks :puke: ).

Nuffle Sucks!

Novice Heretic
Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

Here's advice from an Orc coach who also has a chainsaw wielding player: wait for the chainsaw to be running then go and get him with everything you got. You need to get him out of the game, with your low armour he'll just rip your elves open.

Good luck!

-Balrog

StillGas
Experienced
Experienced

Post by StillGas »

That goblin will be mine! Incedently, I just managed to do a number on CD's (3-1): Without taking a single casulty! Hurrah! My armour was repeatedly beaten but I got away with a load of stunnings and KO's :lol:

My st4 line-elf got a bonus MVP at the start on handicap table and with block is becoming a frighteningly efficient blitzer. It certainly helps ease the load of the wardancers as well as giving my oponents an additional headache. May he go from strength to strength.........

Before I forget, I play in a league with VERY few players with dodge but is it worth giving a chap tackle just to help deal with the goblin?

Nuffle Sucks!

Novice Heretic
Rogerg1979
Experienced
Experienced

how about...

Post by Rogerg1979 »

Instead of Tackle... how about Shadowing?

Tackle only really helps if you're facing Dodge, but shadowing can make a pretty effective annoyance to receivers (With the diff in MV it'll annoy the gobbo no end!) and keep forcing those dodge rolls! They'll fail eventually.

Gk.

Heeeyyyy sexy mamma.... Wanna kill all the humans? ;-)
StillGas
Experienced
Experienced

Re: how about...

Post by StillGas »

Rogerg1979 wrote:Instead of Tackle... how about Shadowing?

Tackle only really helps if you're facing Dodge, but shadowing can make a pretty effective annoyance to receivers (With the diff in MV it'll annoy the gobbo no end!) and keep forcing those dodge rolls! They'll fail eventually.

Gk.
If there were many recievers I might use it; unfortunatly I am a bastion of elegant play amidst a mire of bashy teams. Anyone starting in a tackle zone is FAR more likely to get whacked than have someone trying to dodge out of their tackle zones. Still, if the opportunity arrises (ie one of my opponents decide they coach orcs in elves' clothing!) I'll consider it.

Nuffle Sucks!

Novice Heretic