Buy a lineelf or wait and buy a position player?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Buy a lineelf or wait and buy a position player?

Post by martynq »

I've got the following conundrum:

There is just one match left at the end of the season and my dark elves haven't done enough to gain anything from the season through wins. For this last match I will have 11 players available:

2 blitzers
1 witch elf
1 thrower
1 kicker
6 line-elves
TR174

(A further blitzer is SId so misses the match, while another line-elf has just failed his EXP aging roll and misses the match. We are using the kicking rules and the EXP aging system.)

I have 70k to spend: should I buy a line-elf so that I have a reserve for the final match of the season or shall I hang onto the money and buy my fourth blitzer or second witch-elf to be ready for the next season.

In the end, I guess I am only building for next season anyway, so winning the next match isn't that important, but ensuring I can keep players alive is important.

Any thoughts?

Martyn

Reason: ''
Dark Elf Blitzer 8/3/4/8 Block, Dodge, MA+1, Shadowing, Side Step, Tackle
Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

Save the money and buy a blitzer, unless you're playing against a really bloodthirsty team.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
Mortalman
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Mortalman »

Aye, you can always buy another lineman after the match if you lose one, so in terms of your long-term team dreams it won't make a lot of difference unless you expect a rookie elf lineman to pick up a bundle of experience. On the other had you could take the opportunity to fill up on position players.

"Well I am a king!"
"Oh King! Very nice! And how d'you get that then?"
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Buy the lineman

Post by Smeborg »

Linemen are not to be sniffed at, especially Elf linemen.

In your situation, every time I keep the money in reserve, I get creamed.

So experience tells me you should buy the lineman.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I'd wait. If the game is meaningless and losing just costs you 10k wait to see how much you've got to spend.

I'd buy the 4th blitzer before the Witch. I don't like S3 Frenzy (unless combined with Dauntless).

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

frenzy is a lot more manageable now that it's only 1 extra hit. you just have to plan a little and be careful how you set the block up.

i'd save as well, as long as it's not a psycho evil killkill team you're playing in that last game. if it is, get that line elf for cannon fodder. Otherwise save for a witch...I never start a team with them, but on a tr 174 team you have enough support for her that she can be ok. :)

Super Star

Post by martynq »

One problem is that I don't know who the opposition is and won't find out until it is too late to spend the money. (We basically have to do that immediately after the match.)

I guess I'll save the money for the fourth blitzer.

Martyn

Asmodan
Legend
Legend

Post by Asmodan »

Save the money.
And if you meet a hardhitting team (again :wink: ) just go for the survival instead of the win.

Asmodan

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Winning the next match...

Post by Smeborg »

I'm a bit curious why you're playing that next match if winning isn't important!

With 11 or 12 players you can beat any team if you play well.

Play to win!!!

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless
martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

Winning would be nice, but it's not the most important thing - the team will continue next season and I would rather make sure I had all my players intact: a close victory with three players dead would be counterproductive, for example.

As it is, I'm playing Deathwing's high elves - and he's managed to KO two players in two turns! :roll:

Martyn

Cervidal
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Cervidal »

Why is your player who aged sitting out? Players who age do not sit out a game. They simply take their detriment and go on to the next match.

Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

Cerdival: They're using the EXP system, which is an alternate system to the Aging table in the LRB.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Playing to win!

Post by Smeborg »

Martyn -

If you play to win, you will get less beaten up (because your opponent has to concentrate on the ball, rather than on blood).

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless
lightingbug
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by lightingbug »

Martyn-

What's going to help you for next seaon. Are you going to have to redraft your current team, carry them over, start new. Does saving money to use for drafting next season or having a larger number of players at the end of this season make more sense.

With only 2 games left I probably wouldn't buy another player unless there is a benefit for next season.

Hope that helps.
Lightingbug