+1 to dodge for an already AG3, dodge player?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Mortalman
Experienced
Experienced

+1 to dodge for an already AG3, dodge player?

Post by Mortalman »

Hi,

I have and Orc blitzer with ST4, block (obviously) and dodge - yes I was lucky! I'm thinking about what to give him next because he's becoming a favourite runner for hopefully apparent reasons. I thought break tackle would be good for my last roll, but he rolled a double and I couldn't pass up dodge. Now he only falls over on a 1/9 unless he's dodging through tackle zones (which I just wouldn't do unless emergency) or they have tackle/prehensile tail. Do I really need to give him the +1 break tackle would give him? Or alternatively would another skill help me more?

Also if I roll another double I'll almost definitely take stand firm, so that would almost make break tackle useless!

Reason: ''
"Well I am a king!"
"Oh King! Very nice! And how d'you get that then?"
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Tackle or Strip Ball are tempting as he's the one who is blitzing most often. Maybe Mighty Blow since you'll be hitting with him a lot. If none of them appeal, Guard as he can get suck in.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

ianwilliams wrote:Tackle or Strip Ball are tempting as he's the one who is blitzing most often. Maybe Mighty Blow since you'll be hitting with him a lot. If none of them appeal, Guard as he can get suck in.
agreed.

Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Personally, i never take break tackle unless it gives me at least +2 (i.e. bull centaurs, saurii, etc. but not chaos warriors).

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Every team needs a couple of guys with Sure Hands.
If you want to use him defensively then either Tackle or Guard with Stand Firm on a doubles.
You could also consider Catch on a doubles. All of a sudden you get a ST4 Blodge reciever. Very useful.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Mortalman
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Mortalman »

I have a couple of other blitzers with tackle, one of which has mighty blow, the other strip ball. I tend to find they are very effective on defence because I can keep them back to blitz incoming runners/catchers. Mr S4 is usually on the line, so he has to dodge/GFI to blitz such characters so that isn't really where he's going.

MB is always a good choice so I'm obviously thinking about it. I'm just a little concerned that I've over developed my defensive play and left my offence a bit weak, and I'm thinking this guy is the idea offensive star but short of double rolls (for catch/sure feet/stand firm/frenzy) I can't think what will help him out. I already have 2 throwers so sure hands would only protect me against strip ballers really.

"Well I am a king!"
"Oh King! Very nice! And how d'you get that then?"
zeroalpha
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zeroalpha »

If you are using him to carry the ball the sure hands is always a good option, then just hand off to someone else to score. Considering he already has ST4 block and dodge, by adding sure hands it'll be tough to get the ball from him.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Sure hands is also useful against kick offs out of reach of those lovely slow throwers. That, and immediately after you've taken down the ball carrier: he can blitz in, take out the ball carrier and get the ball for you without too much trouble.

Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

SH also makes him immune to Strip Ball, which can be the bane of the 4 ST ball carrier.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

On a normal skill roll, any of the above suggestions would work (i.e. Tackle, Guard, Mighty Blow, Sure Hands). But on a double I would go with Sure Feet (MA 8 Orc Blitzer anyone?).

-Balrog

Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

A doubles roll has to be Stand Firm. Few things could be more irritating on the line of scrimmage than a Blodge 4 ST player with Stand Firm. Give him Guard and your team just doesn't give ground on defence.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Yes, stand firm is so much better than anything else he could get, it's not even funny. Sure feet? Pouah!

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

The only problem with that is that this guy is a ball carrier. Why waste that on the line, where you're going to want your Black Orcs and Troll anyway? why not enjoy the fact that he's got the cool stuff for a different use?
Just because he's an orc doesn't mean he has to be all about Bashing. I think Sure Feet is a good idea. That said, Stand firm is also a good idea as it opens up the sidelines a bit more because you can't be pushed off. It also irritates opponents no end. My dwarf team has three Stand Firmers and they irritated hell out of my CD opponent on monday, while a pair of Flesh Golems were most irritating to my rookie Ogres in FUMBBL today.

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Stand firm is the perfect skill for a blitzer, as it allows him to dodge with abandon. Really, nothing even comes close to it. The only thing that did come close is dodge and he's already got it.

Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

Zombie wrote:Yes, stand firm is so much better than anything else he could get, it's not even funny. Sure feet? Pouah!
I like to pick different skills then the usual run of the mill no-brainers. Pouah! right back at you bub.

-Balrog