new League. I play Chaos Dwarves against a lot of Elves HELP

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

scrollmaster
Experienced
Experienced

new League. I play Chaos Dwarves against a lot of Elves HELP

Post by scrollmaster »

We have just started the new league and I have ended up in conference South (http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/league.php?season_id=9) which contains my Chaos Dwarves, humans, Dark Elves, Skaven and Wood Elves!!!

I had this tactic managed to built up at the end of last league, but it was geared towards Stregth teams more than anything else.

So now I'll have to face many AG teams..... I am considering going more HobGob than Chaos Dwarves now, maybe even stick to the 3 Chaos Dwarves I have and leave it at that.

Give all HG Block (sure hands for second skill), all CDs Guard or Stand Firm on double and the BC Break Tackle, block, (standfirm on double)

OR go for a 6CD team (to counter dodge) with a huge amount of guards and then really go turtle speed iron-cage.

This option will leave me vulnerable for elves breaking through unless I keep BC at the back at ALL times and never involve them in any ball movement, but for 260K this sounds like an expensive back stopper.

Anybody got any comments on this or have faced a simular situation with Chaos Dwarves??

Reason: ''
[url=http://www.scrollmaster.net]www.scrollmaster.net[/url] - Location: London, UK
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

No comment :D

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Fronko
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Fronko »

Hint: There is another Chaos Dwarf thread going on. Read that carefully.

Unfortunately, I don't have any expertise on CDs, so my advice would be of theoretical nature only and I don't think that kind of advice would be of any use in the league you are playing in. :)

[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/DesTroy1968/nba3-1.gif[/img]

Official wesleytj fan.
scrollmaster
Experienced
Experienced

Post by scrollmaster »

I've read the other couple of starting a new CD team but I have a team. Now I need some advice to what direction to take it
I don't have any expertise on CDs
unfortunatly not many have :-)

Ian, shutit =D

[url=http://www.scrollmaster.net]www.scrollmaster.net[/url] - Location: London, UK
Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

I'd always start with 6 CDs. Turtlespeed and clumpsy as they are, they are the heart and the skill of your team.

When facing Elves in defence, i like to put 2 CDs along with 2 hobgobs as assists in my backfield, 2 CDs in the widezones and 2 along with a hobgob (or Troll in a later development) on the line of scrimmage. I use a Bull Centaur to charge deep into the elves half to create some pressure on the pickup and passer, but keep the rest of the team deep. I mark all charging catchers with a CD plus a hobgob) and try to blitz one followed by a quick foul if i can't take him out.

Make them spend the Rerolls early and negate all dodge-skilled receivers with CDs. However, you still have to wait for some rolls of 1 or 2 (statistically this should happen every third roll :-? ). Never think you made an error in defence, if the elf team dances through your defence with a series of 3+ rolls, it's just not possible to stop this. Try again, make them do dodges, passes, gfis ... make them use their rerolls, the 1s and 2s will come.

Tim (whos Chaos Dwarfs worst loss at the Blood Bowl was 1-3 against AV9 woodelfs with no 1 on the dice). :D

scrollmaster
Experienced
Experienced

Post by scrollmaster »

Tim, sounds like good advice although putting a HobGob at the LOS sounds like a bit too risky for me :-)

btw, Nice CD team you have and I'm glad you replied to this post because your coach is actually what inspired me to do the one I am painting at the moment (esspecially the walking stick) but I couldn't remember where I had see this walking stick idea. Now I know :-)

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

There isn't much of a problem doing the old classic bashing team 2-1 grind against elves early on in the team.

You will have plenty of block and they won't a slow cage would be faily easy to maul down the pitch (luck allowing). If they come in you can hit them and you might pick up some spp to get the much vaunted guard skill. Also starting without bulls means you can stock up on a hellva lot more reolls than elf teams normally start with.

After you have picked up some guard skill and got a bull well you can cage even better with a st4 player and guard. Deffo get one hobbo with kick as soon as you get a bull and get one with sure hands first to hold the ball in the cage, wardancers are a pain.

scrollmaster
Experienced
Experienced

Post by scrollmaster »

My teams is already made, so i don't have that many Block's but I do have two BCs

2BC
3CD
6HG
4RR
9FF

But the questions rather more where do I take it from here. Do I buy up loads of CDs or do I try to go fast and use more HGs?

What would work best against Elves and Skaven?

Kamikaze Rudy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kamikaze Rudy »

Buy your Chaos Dwarfs, they are the heart and soul of the team. Always make sure you have plenty of blocks for them. Use the Hobbos for assists if you need it and block the player off them. Try not to leave Hobgoblins in tackle zones ever. In the division that you are playing, I would take Sure Hands with a hobgoblin first. If you leave the ball on the ground because you failed to pick it up, the teams in your division will snatch it right up, especially the Skaven and Wood Elfs. When possible, use the Chaos Dwarfs to blitz, being as they have tackle and Block. The Bull Centaurs will normally be doing the blitzing though, and they are the players you use to flank the opposing team.

Always Block, Block, Block....

That is your tactical advantage!

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

The chaos dwarves' strength is the bull centaurs first and chaos dwarf blockers second. Play to your strengths. Hobgoblins are just there to fill the rest of your 11-man roster. And make sure to give the ball to your bull centaurs, your opponents will hate you for it.

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

I'd just give up, roll over and say "there's always next season" There's no way you're going to win. The best you can hope for is not to totally disgrace yourself. :P

OK, one tip from an opponent and one only. Mike usually fields 2 BCs, 5 CDs and 4 HGs on his drives and gives me a hell of a lot of trouble. Lots of CDs and enough hobgobs to keep the ball moving but not so few as to make them targets.

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
scrollmaster
Experienced
Experienced

Post by scrollmaster »

I'd just give up, roll over and say "there's always next season" There's no way you're going to win. The best you can hope for is not to totally disgrace yourself.
Marcus, shutit =D

It sounds on all of you like staying to my original plan (lots of CDs) is the way to go. thanks guys

Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

The best thing to do against elves is when they have the ball, surround a few of their players and then just lay on the pain until they score. A few drives of this should reduce the elven numbers down to manageable levels.

Make sure your Bull Centaurs are scoring your TDs, they need the SPPs.

Also, look into getting a Troll eventually, he'll be able to help out on the line of scrimmage.

Last, I would suggest the following for CD avancement: Mighty Blow, then Guard, then Pro

-Balrog

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

no way ive played chaos dwarfs in a league twice and they work so much better going guard before mighty blow

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Both types of dwarves (longbeards on dwarf teams) kick serious tail if take mostly guard, stand firm, and or dodge as their 1st skills. The most annoying team in our 3e league was the Dwarf team with 5 longbeards that had block, standfirm, and guard.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.