Dauntless vs. Horns - Gutter Runner

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Amon242
Experienced
Experienced

Dauntless vs. Horns - Gutter Runner

Post by Amon242 »

I'm currently considering the development path for a defensive Gutter Runner. I'm looking to go the Block/Strip Ball/Horns model, but was wondering if it would be better to give him Dauntless instead of Horns on a double? Any thoughts or experiences anyone would care to share?

Thanks

Amon

Reason: ''
Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

Horns is a garaunteed 3 ST any time he blitzes, nothing can take it away. But dauntless will help him take on even those nasty Chaos Warriors and ST upgraded freaks. It's a toss up really. I guess it comes down to whether you want a garaunteed 1 die blitz against any ST 3 opponent or a not-so-garaunteed 1 die block against anyone.

Don't worry too much because if you take horns you'll find him in the TZ of ball carrying ogre and if you take dauntless you'll roll snake eyes against that Chaoss Warrior who is about to score. :lol:

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
Count Zappa
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Count Zappa »

Dauntless. When successful, you can take on anyone.

With a re-roll, it's like a four-dice block!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I'd probably go Horns 1st, then Dauntless, as there's more ST3 players out there than ST4+. But get both to be sure :lol:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
zeroalpha
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zeroalpha »

I think you'd be better off with Dauntless, as the gutter runner is only ST2 adding one ST on the blitz i don't think will helpas much as if you have Dauntless

Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

Dauntless is probably better, but it's a toss up really.

-Balrog

Mortalman
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Mortalman »

I reckon you'd probably find horns more useful on a gutter runner, since their advantage is being able to sprint after catchers/skinks and the like anywhere on the field. Big guys, blockers, chaos warriors and so on are less likely to be a scoring threat due to low AG and are unlikely to be able to outrun your team. Therefore get a stormvermin or lineman dauntless at the first opportunity - chances are the main target for your attentions will be on the LOS - and leave the gutter runner to softer things!
It's important to remember that if you fail a dauntless roll and take a beating from a Kroxigor or something else big and spiky you'll be grateful for every point of AV you can get!

"Well I am a king!"
"Oh King! Very nice! And how d'you get that then?"
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Dauntless - because you don't need to move. This in my mind more than compensates for the chance of failure.

BTW if you get another double take horns. They do stack so you've got a 2 dice block on anyone. :evil:

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Rogerg1979
Experienced
Experienced

Both IS better

Post by Rogerg1979 »

I can vouch for the validity of having a gutter runner with both horns and Dauntless.

My game last week had 3 kills, all by the same gutter runner (The targets? 2 ST4 Chaos warriors and an Ogre), p****d off Shaun no end...

Hee hee...

My point Dauntless+Horns... You know it make sense!

G

Heeeyyyy sexy mamma.... Wanna kill all the humans? ;-)
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

I'd go for dauntless, for two reasons. It works on blocks and on blitzes when you start next to the opponent, and it works against ST4+. Besides, against ST3, it will rarely fail, and you can use a team reroll if it does, so there's not much of an incentive for horns. The only reason for taking horns is if he blitzes a lot of ST2 players.

Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

My experience with Dauntless has made me a believer. Also, you really need someone with the skill on a team like Skaven, or you can't deal with high strength ballcarriers effectively. My 5 AG, Leap, Block, Sure Hands, Dauntless Gutter Runner has caused some serious havoc in the opposition's backfield.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

yer always go dauntless first

horns is better on its own on a storm vermin

nkelsch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nkelsch »

Every 'mutable' team should have one 'goon' with horns/dauntless.

Being able to 2 die block ANY model is a worthy goal.

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Always dauntless first. If you get doubles again, get horns, if not, get strip ball.

I love my horns/dauntless GRs, I really do =)

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]