Best plan of attack

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

redlizard
Rookie
Rookie

Best plan of attack

Post by redlizard »

You're a brand new HE team (whatever roster you want). You are up against a ~TR150 lizardman team. He sets up on defense like this:

Code: Select all

.......s.......
.s...........s.
....S..s..S....
.S...........S.
....S..K..S....
---------------

S=Saurus
s=skink
K=Krox
The Saurus on the LOS have block and the skinks on the wings have sidestep. What's a good plan of attack?

Reason: ''
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Cracking the Lizzie defence

Post by Smeborg »

Hi, Redlizard -

That looks like a good standard defence (not quite the best IMHO), but it's not overly difficult to crack.

Block one of the Saurus on the L.O.S. out of the way (2-dice Block). Make a 2-dice Blitz with your Blitzer on the Saurus behind the one that you whacked on the L.O.S.. Before doing this, you need to move a few Linelves (two to assist the Blitz, and one to cancel an assist).

You may now swarm your opponent's backfield with your Catcher types. Depending on the Block results, you may need to dodge. One or two Re-rolls in the starting roster are important.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

A lot depends on possession of Dauntless, Tackle and Guard.

Ideally knock over the whole front line - pushing them across where possible. Then whack one of the backfield Saurus to create a hole.

Alternatively whack the central skink - that should give you a decent shot at dodging through the line.

What is really important is to tie up the Saurus so they have to dodge to be able to get back and blitz the receivers. Ideally cover them all with block dodgers, but preference is for dodgers against those without block. Worse case use your sacrifical line elves.

You aren't too worried about skinks - with only 4 available he lacks the numbers to blitz one receiver and cover the other effectively.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
redlizard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by redlizard »

That looks like a good standard defence (not quite the best IMHO), but it's not overly difficult to crack.
What would be better in your opinion?

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

A better defence

Post by Smeborg »

Something like this:

xxxx.LxxKxxL.xxxx
xSxx.xxxxxxx.xxSx
xxxx.xxxxxxx.xxxx
xxxx.LxxLxxL.xxxx
xSxx.xxxxxxx.xxSx
x
x
x
x
x
x
xxxx.xxxLxxx.xxxx
x

L is for Saurus, S for Skink, K for Krox. Hope you can read it otherwise.

The reason I think this is better (others may differ) is:

- It's deeper.
- It puts more squares in tackle zones.
- The "box" on and near the L.O.S. is at least as strong, but uses 6 players, not 7.
- There is a Blitzer (Saurus) as a "deep safety" who cannot be put in a tackle zone on your opponent's first turn (except on a Quick Snap result).
- The forward Skinks on the wing can strike deep (for example on a Blitz result, or following a positional error by your opponent - or a curse of Nuffle, of course).

And if I were your opponent, I would probably put my Saurus with Block in the second and third lines of defence, rather than on the L.O.S. That's where the real action will be.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I've just seen the bit about brand new HE team :oops:

To be honest I'd try to score in 3/4 turns rather than 2. Suck him into you and you'll have a lot more space to exploit. Concentrate on whacking the LOS and hitting the skinks (without block) with Dragon Warriors.

Hopefully you'll manage to get a few players off the pitch and that should create holes. In addition the skinks ability to run through your lines is very annoying, so the fewer there are the better.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Mortalman
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Mortalman »

HIT THE SKINKS! Elves great advantage over other races is they have the M and AG to go after the skinks on a lizardman team. If you were equal team rating I'd say concentrate on scoring and playing tight defence - ie play a 'clean' game and hope he makes errors due to lack of skills/re-rolls. However, being a starting team against an experienced one you pretty much need positional advantage, in other words you need to squash some skink! They do all have dodge but hopefully every other one you take down will stay down, and if they go near the sidelines shove them off!
Not only will removal of skinks balance the losses you will take (don't kid yourself, against that many strength players your team is going through the mill) it will hopefully prevent him getting assists and being able to pick up the ball!

"Well I am a king!"
"Oh King! Very nice! And how d'you get that then?"