Thrown Teammate Defense

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Thanks, but...

Post by Smeborg »

Thanks, Zombie -

But I'd rather have the pleasure of working it out by myself.

And I suspect that your spreadsheet may be based on only one defence, perhaps with a few variants, rather than working against anything that can be thrown at it. Forgive me if I am underestimating it.

But now I am beginning to suspect that the Dwarf/Norse one turner may be achievable, if only in theory... Oh, to win a tournament like that!

Cheers

Reason: ''
Smeborg the Fleshless
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Dwarf and norse can score in one turn, if only they have a guy with MA7. Like that dwarf runner we heard about not long ago. Failing MA7, MA6 and sprint would do it too.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Re: One turn scoring - best defence

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Smeborg wrote:You may be right, but then again, you may not! And I may well be wrong, but I'm not sure yet!
It isn't a defence against TTM 1 turners. Defend deep against those.

The defence I put forward is entirely designed to stop the push back 1 turner.

More players around the LOS makes this harder because its harder to get 3 or 2 dice blocks. The fewer dice the less chance of getting a push result. Also it means you can place your tackle/diving tackle players in better locations - he has to come in close to the LOS and can't blitz anyone else (unless there is a quick snap).

The perfect defence just requires two players with side step or stand firm.
Smeborg wrote:...the coach who works out how to do it with Dwarfs (MA6, 2 players with Frenzy).
You don't have to use your blitz for the 1st block. Therefore you can blitz for your final block an extra square.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Rogerg1979
Experienced
Experienced

Ummm errr (I'm stupid!)

Post by Rogerg1979 »

Im having problems visualising the situation you guys are discussing.

Any chance of a visual aid?

G

Heeeyyyy sexy mamma.... Wanna kill all the humans? ;-)
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Re: Ummm errr (I'm stupid!)

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Rogerg1979 wrote:Im having problems visualising the situation you guys are discussing.

Any chance of a visual aid?

G
Its pretty complex to describe without a board (too many changes of position). What I'd recommend you do is just set up the board and work through various options.

Basically blitz one of the guys on the LOS into your half. Then it is set up so that when you block him again there are no empty squares so you choose to push him into your receiver - pushing the receiver into his half. Repeat this until you are far enough in to score in a single turn.

Quick snaps make the whole thing a lot easier.

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

ianwilliams wrote:
Smeborg wrote:...the coach who works out how to do it with Dwarfs (MA6, 2 players with Frenzy).
You don't have to use your blitz for the 1st block. Therefore you can blitz for your final block an extra square.
You do have to blitz for the first block, unless of course you can show me otherwise, but i highly doubt it.

nkelsch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nkelsch »

Here is a bunch of other things to consider when setting up like that:

*As a TTM orc team I am CONSTANTLY thwarted by that GD kickoff table... If you get blitz... you can easily run in and stomp the gobbo. Your setup is going to negate almost all of the advantages you get from setting up.

*Also, if something were to go foul on MY side of the field (hand off, fumble player) you got no one who caan do anything. Your 3 linemen are going to be crushed utterly and your guys will be ABRLEY even to get NEAR the ball when if your guys were up, you could do some serious blitzes and snatch the ball.

*Gobbo Cage: I have played somone who does very much what you do and here is my tactic.

*smash linemen into paste.
*THrower get ball and pass ball with PASS to the gobbo.
*ogre and gobbo stomp down the field.
*orks form mega cage.

Now I have my whole team about 5 squares into your side and my gobbo and ogre are secure in a cage. you now HAVE to swarm me or else I am going to poke a hole and run it in.

And if you don't I can do a few things:

*Gobbo hand off to a blitzer and have them run it in
*Ogre freely fling gobbo (since they are much closer)
*Or counter attack and move the cage.

While YES that set up PREVENTS the turn 1 score, I think it puts most 'fling' teams in a better position... I think it will pay off more forcing them to make a risky 'fling' and try to recover when the gobbo eats grass and the ball is in your backfield with no other model anywhere near it.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Zombie wrote:You do have to blitz for the first block, unless of course you can show me otherwise, but i highly doubt it.
With a Frenzied player you don't. 1st block pushes them sideways, 2nd block back into your own half.

Now you've freed up the blitz to be used later.

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Good point. I guess that could work, but my suspicion is that you wouldn't have enough of 11 players to block all the paths and pull it off, even if all goes well. It's already pretty tight with MA7 and frenzy.

ZanzerTem
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Tampa, FL (I USED to be able to see Galak in the distance!)

Post by ZanzerTem »

How does MA7 and Frenzy help you get free movement?!?!? The 2nd block requires a square of movement....the skill clearly states that:

"If the frenzied player is taking a Blitz action and runs out of normal movement, he can stop attacking (ie, he does not have to throw the additional block), although he can Go For It to throw the block if you want him to - assuming he still has go for it squares left of course.

Are you saying the SCORER needs frenzy, or another player on the team with Frenzy to push the opponent into the scorer?

Man that would be a lot of work if it is the latter.

NAF # 581
Commish of the ABBL, Tampa Bay's premier BloodBowl League!
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

he already explained that do keep up

ZanzerTem
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Tampa, FL (I USED to be able to see Galak in the distance!)

Post by ZanzerTem »

Obviously it was not explained well for us slow learners :wink:

NAF # 581
Commish of the ABBL, Tampa Bay's premier BloodBowl League!