Amazon pointers

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Munkey
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Amazon pointers

Post by Munkey »

I've just started a new amazon team and was hoping for a few pointers as to general tactics and skill development. As they are a new team (to my league from 3ed)

I'm sure that I can come up with a few plays of my own but it would be nice to hear how others play them and what the general do's and don'ts are.

Reason: ''
[size=75]The short answer is "no", but it is a qualified "no" because there are odd ways of interpreting the question which could justify the answer "yes".[/size]
ZanzerTem
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Tampa, FL (I USED to be able to see Galak in the distance!)

Post by ZanzerTem »

1) Give your whole team Block.
2) Give your whole team Block.
3) Give your whole team Block.
4) Give your whole team Block!

Regardless of your starting setup and how many losses you suffer, BUY AN APOTHECARY 1ST. AV7 means you will need the Apo as much as Wood elves.

Against Dwarves, Chaos Dwarves, you are screwed. Do damage control and minimize your losses. Do your best to keep your Blitzers free to harass the ball carrier as much as possible.

Otherwise, put Dodge to work. Don't be afraid to screen Catchers downfield in droves to wait on a Pass. Remember, unless the other team has block, there is only a 1 in 6 chance you are going down without ending their turn. Only a 2 in 6 chance if the DO have block.

Play like Elves. Dodge the hell away. Make them come to you.

Your Blitzers are golden, and cheap too. Try to score with them 1st (before the Catchers) to get them Mighty Blow/Strip Ball/Tackle, and you will love them :)

A Blodging Passer means you can get up close and personal and not hang in the backfield as much. If you decide to get Accurate, make sure she stays out of the fighting.

3 words for your catchers: Nerves of Steel.

Remember, you have the ability to force your opponent to play how YOU want them to play.

NAF # 581
Commish of the ABBL, Tampa Bay's premier BloodBowl League!
ZanzerTem
Super Star
Super Star

Post by ZanzerTem »

Although it takes freaking FOREVER to load, you can check out my FUMBBL 'Zon team here:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team& ... am_id=1871

NAF # 581
Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

Give everyone Block, then develop them the same as humans. I believe Amazons to be one of the strongest rosters in BB, comparable to Orcs.

-Balrog

Blackscale
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Blackscale »

Balrog wrote: I believe Amazons to be one of the strongest rosters in BB, comparable to Orcs.

-Balrog
I agree, I have been playing amazons for a while now and it is very easy to develop a strong team with lots of rerolls (only 40k!).
As for playing against Dwarves and Chaos Dwarves, that is a bit of a disadvantage, but not that much: not every player on either team has tackle. One of the last times I played dwarves, I won and I can usually get a tie. (They even had a higher team rating).

We have looked in the face of our creators and seen the face of an enemy
---Rodimus Prime
ljm
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ljm »

Bloodbasher Masher wrote: Play like Elves. Dodge the hell away. Make them come to you.
Actually, I think dodging away is not nearly as necessary as with wood elves. Blodgers can take a beating and 3+ dodges do fail every now and then. You can often just leave your players in contact with the opponents provided they dont have tackle.

ljm

One false move, wizard, and your familiar gets it!
ZanzerTem
Super Star
Super Star

Post by ZanzerTem »

From my experience, its just generally safer to stay one square away and use guerilla tactics with your blodgers. Amazon simply cannot get into a casualty war with most teams, because they typically come out the losing end.

Be sure to seek and destroy any players that have tackle (unless you are playing a tackle filled team).

NAF # 581
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Did anyone else wonder of the nature of this thread from the title, or was it just me? :oops:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Munkey

Post by Munkey »

Wow, I've been busy for a few days and have not had much time to get to the boards and the thread gets buried!

Thanks for the tips, I'd figured out some general stuff but the skill choices were a little confusing (other than the obvious Block).

Main difference I found from humans (apart from the obvious) is that catchers are slower which makes it hard for them to get downfield as fast as other teams and reduces the passing threat. Guess I'll work on it though.

[size=75]The short answer is "no", but it is a qualified "no" because there are odd ways of interpreting the question which could justify the answer "yes".[/size]
Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

Munky: You're absolutely right. The 'Zon team in our league didn't really take off until they got 2 players with a 7 movement.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Getting screwed by Dwarfs and Chaos Dwarfs...

Post by Smeborg »

Monkey, you are correct that the main weakness of Amazons is their MA6.

You have no reason to fear Dwarfs or Chaos Dwarfs. Remember that the fastest players in these teams (Bull Centaurs, Hobgoblins, Runners, Blitzers, Trollslayers) all come without Tackle. You can run rings round these guys.

Amazons are a strong side. At CanCon (Australian national tournament in January), an Amazon coach came 3rd after beating Dwarfs 3 times during the weekend.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless
grep-v
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Getting screwed by Dwarfs and Chaos Dwarfs...

Post by grep-v »

Smeborg wrote:Monkey, you are correct that the main weakness of Amazons is their MA6.
You have no reason to fear Dwarfs or Chaos Dwarfs. Remember that the fastest players in these teams (Bull Centaurs, Hobgoblins, Runners, Blitzers, Trollslayers) all come without Tackle. You can run rings round these guys.
Only if your opponent doesn't know how to position his players. As soon as he learns how to spread his players and to separate your players, forcing you to take dodges for every significant action, you will be lost if you roll the normal amount of 1/2s.
The same goes for lizards having a real advantage in speed.

Detect + Neutralize + Eliminate = Win
Munkey

Post by Munkey »

Mmm, i'm not looking forward to playing the lizards, but when do I ever?

For the record I was thinking of sure feet for the catchers to improve the speed before the obvious block.

Sure hand seems a good choice for throwers given that we have a lot of strip ball. I may turn one thrower into a run and pass guy with Block and try to develop a second with accurate as a long distance thrower.