Starting High Elf lineup

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Talafar
Experienced
Experienced

Starting High Elf lineup

Post by Talafar »

Hey my first post here 8)
Ok here goes:

What would you reccomend as the best High Elf starting lineup, for league play?

In the league I play with my friends I went with:

The Tirellion Aces

Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior
Phoenix Warrior
Line-elf
Line-elf
Line-elf
Line-elf
Line-elf
Line-elf
Line-elf
Line-elf
2 Re-rolls
Fan Factor: 6

This team has done brilliantly (against my friends), but I am less sure if it would work at the local GW.
A league is starting there in a couple of weeks, and at least 3 of the coaches went to the BB GT and did quite well, so the competition is going to be very challenging.

So what do you coaches think? Is my starting lineup ok, or should I change it?

Reason: ''
Talafar

If one piece of bad luck will lose you the game, you do not deserve to win it
martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

Seems a pretty decent starting team to me... it's what I started with in the MBBL2. I presume that the league won't be running for that long, so the 11 line-elves + 3 re-rolls one is probably not worth it. The only other thing you might consider is dropping a position player for more fan factor, but again if the league is not running for *that* long it might not be worth it.

Martyn

Dark Elf Blitzer 8/3/4/8 Block, Dodge, MA+1, Shadowing, Side Step, Tackle
Thor
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Thor »

That's the same HE line up that I started with this season. It has work well for me. I wouldn't change it. My first purchase was an apothacary (used every game since purchase).

Some days you are the dog. Some days you are the fire hydrant.
Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

That's a good strong starting line-up (well, for HE anyways).

-Balrog

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Tried, tested, popular and proven.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Rupert
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Rupert »

I agree its a strong starting-line but you could also consider:

8 line elves
1 DW
2 LW

6 FF
2 RR

The lions will steal a lot of TD and that may be a problem but at least you will be competive right from the start (the LWs are awsome against other rookie teames). I tried this line-up with my last HE-team and have won my first five games against good opponents.

The rookie HE team do not have a good cage-breaker and since games are won on defence all the rookie HEs can do against good/strong opponents, is hope for some mistake or a bad roll, and then be prepared to rush in and take advantage. The Lions makes it possible to get the ball if the opponent misses a pick up or fail a pass on his own half. Just dont grow too attached to them if you use them like this - they will become very unpopular and you will have to leave them on their own once in a while.

Talafar
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Talafar »

Rupert wrote:I agree its a strong starting-line but you could also consider:

8 line elves
1 DW
2 LW

6 FF
2 RR

The lions will steal a lot of TD and that may be a problem but at least you will be competive right from the start (the LWs are awsome against other rookie teames). I tried this line-up with my last HE-team and have won my first five games against good opponents.

The rookie HE team do not have a good cage-breaker and since games are won on defence all the rookie HEs can do against good/strong opponents, is hope for some mistake or a bad roll, and then be prepared to rush in and take advantage. The Lions makes it possible to get the ball if the opponent misses a pick up or fail a pass on his own half. Just dont grow too attached to them if you use them like this - they will become very unpopular and you will have to leave them on their own once in a while.
Well I see what you mean, but Lion Warriors are only 1 faster then Dragon Warriors, and dont have block or dodge, and are at AV7.
If you can survive the first game it would be good, but with no apothecary I think its very risky to have such expensive, easy-to-kill players.
Still, I might try it in a friendly.

Talafar

If one piece of bad luck will lose you the game, you do not deserve to win it
Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

Plus, it's really easy to advance Lion Warriors later on, whereas Dragon Warriors won't be advancing very fast on an experienced team.

-Balrog

wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

i would drop the thrower for a line elf and 1 ff. you want to have line elves throwing your passes for you so that you can spread out spps, that way no matter who gets the mvp they can get a skill.

plus 6ff is a little light for an elf team who needs every penny they can get.

Experienced

Post by Thor »

I agree that Elf teams need a good FF for future purchases, but I still wouldn't drop the thrower for 1 FF. Thowers are just 10K more than a lineman and 10K is a good deal for the pass skill.

Having said that, don't have your thrower do all the passing or else your lineman development will suffer. When I receive, I usually have a lineman pick up the ball and quick pass it to the thrower. This gives SPPs to linemen, but lets you have access to the pass skill for your longer pass down field on your next turn. :wink:

Some days you are the dog. Some days you are the fire hydrant.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Thor wrote:Having said that, don't have your thrower do all the passing or else your lineman development will suffer. When I receive, I usually have a lineman pick up the ball and quick pass it to the thrower. This gives SPPs to linemen, but lets you have access to the pass skill for your longer pass down field on your next turn. :wink:
That's exactly what my HE do too. However I'm still less decided about the need for a Phoneix in the starting lineup and I think I'd push more towards FF.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Korhil
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Korhil »

Another starting line to consider:

1 Dragon Warrior
1 Phoenix Warrior
9 Line Elves
2 Re-Rolls
9 Fan Factor

Its solid because it has 2 RR and the 9 FF.
Look to getting the Apoth then the 2nd Dragon Warrior first.

---Korhil