High Elf skill choice

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Thor
Experienced
Experienced

High Elf skill choice

Post by Thor »

Okay, Here is my league High Elf team (10 in total due to death):

DW, Block
DW, Block, Dodge
PW, Pass, Accurate
Lineman, Block
Lineman, Kick
5 Linemen
2 RR
5 FF (unlucky FF rolls)
Apoth

After my last game, 2 of my unskilled linemen got skill rolls. First skill roll was "normal skill," the second skill roll was "double 5s" (cool). For my first skill roll, I was thinking about taking Dodge, or maybe Block. For my second skill roll, I am considering, +1MA, Guard, or Leader (leaning towards Guard).

What do you think? :roll: What would be most useful? In my league, I only play against strength teams.

Thnx

Reason: ''
Some days you are the dog. Some days you are the fire hydrant.
Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

For the regular Lineman I would take Dodge, and for the doubles I would go with Dauntless, in an all strength team league you'll need a way to deal with Big Guys.

-Balrog

Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

I'd take Dauntless or Guard with the doubles.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
Khail
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Khail »

Guard.

Commissioner of the Cascadia Blood Blowl League
Bellingham, WA USA
Asmodan
Legend
Legend

Post by Asmodan »

I would have taken guard since you dont have any players with it from before.
And i would have chosen block on the other player, but only because i hate to play strenght team without players with block.

Asmodan

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

If there are lots of dwarves/chaos dwarves in your league (you say it is strength heavy) or lots of Tackle, take Block ahead of Dodge for the first elf.

I would also go for Guard on the doubles roll.

Martyn

Dark Elf Blitzer 8/3/4/8 Block, Dodge, MA+1, Shadowing, Side Step, Tackle
BadMrMojo
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by BadMrMojo »

I think block and guard would probably be your best choices for the two linemen.
Just remember to keep feeding them some SPPs. It's easy to get a guy with guard who suddenly never advances again because he just moves into position to assist and doesn't end up doing anything else. Maybe I'm the only one who does this, but I catch myself doing it and it really bugs me.
3 linemen with Block, Sidestep, and Dodge (probably low priority, as most of the strength teams are going to have plenty of tacklers by the time you get a few skills...) is a great thing to aim for for your front line, as well. Very annoying to your opponents.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Block for the normal skill.

If there are lots of Big Guys or high Strength players in your league Dauntless, otherwise Guard.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Mortalman
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Mortalman »

I don't think you can go wrong with block on your first lineman. For the double 5, don't take movement just to get a stat increase - it's nice but only on a more developed lineman. I don't think guard is a great first skill. It'll benefit your team a bit, but he'll get targetted by other players and he has no defensive skills yet. You can use him as a precision tool (ie make it easier to blitz backfield people by negating the net of tackle zones) but again this places him in danger. Dauntless without block is a bad idea, and really requires someone with guard to work well.

Skills worth considering: jump up, leader and pass. Pass will save you 80k for another thrower and can easily be built up into a good defensive thrower without ever rolling another double! Sure hands, block, dodge, sure feet will fill in the next four increases - he still throws quick/short passses with very low chances of success. That way the real thrower can concentrate on being a pure passer (strong arm, accurate, safe throw etc).

Just an idea

"Well I am a king!"
"Oh King! Very nice! And how d'you get that then?"
D'Arquebus
Experienced
Experienced

Post by D'Arquebus »

If the strength teams have alot of high strength people a Dauntless player would be very useful. Now as Mortalman suggests Dauntless without Block is not very good, especially as most of the strength players will get Block 1st thing. However it does not need guard to be really effective. You're an elf team, dodge those assists to the right spots. :lol: Just use the player to score a couple of TDs and get him to 16 SPPs. Then Block and away you go.

NB: just remember not to then use him on or near the line. He is still 1 little elf against a team of bruisers. Use him at the critical points of the line/cage/what-have-you in a pinpoint strike. Ie use him like an elf. 8)

13th to 24 Teams Worldwide :)

www.ausbowl.com - The Home of Australian Blood Bowl.
www.nzbbn.com The Home of New Zealand Blood Bowl

roysorlie
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by roysorlie »

First og of all, go with block, and guard. Spare your dautless for a DW if you get a double. You are not supposed to get stuck in. Make sure he (prefreably) only get's to block you once per turn, (the blitz)

And I'd definatively choose sure hands before accurate on the thrower.

But here's a little tip. Especially nasty when playing slow moving teams.
Develope a lineman to get kick.

Keep placing the ball far back, so he'll likely have to wait with passing a couple of the receiving turns.

Develope at least 2 Lion Warriors to get pass block, and run them up field to intercept when he next want's to pass. Make sure he can't blitz them easily.

This tactic work surprisingly well against many strength coaches. (due to slow movement and low ag)

Cheers.

Roy

Norwegian National Tournament Organizer.

Coachname [url=http://fumbbl.com/~SnakeEyes]SnakeEyes[/url] on [url=http://fumbbl.com/]fumbbl.com[/url]
NAF member 187
martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

BadMrMojo wrote:Just remember to keep feeding them some SPPs. It's easy to get a guy with guard who suddenly never advances again because he just moves into position to assist and doesn't end up doing anything else. Maybe I'm the only one who does this, but I catch myself doing it and it really bugs me.
No, I end up doing that too. Bugs me also.

Martyn

Dark Elf Blitzer 8/3/4/8 Block, Dodge, MA+1, Shadowing, Side Step, Tackle
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Mortalman wrote:Pass will save you 80k for another thrower and can easily be built up into a good defensive thrower without ever rolling another double!
:o Sorry but this is a terrible idea. A 2nd Phoneix Warrior costs 10k more than a line elf. Extremely good value for money in anyone's book. That double is just wasted taking a passing skill. Elves are too low on strength to pass up the opportunity of Guard/Dauntless.

As for guard/dauntless being useless without block - its only 10 SPPs more so you can force feed him every SPP possible to get him there in another 3/4 games. Just make sure to run him upfield on offence in support of your other receivers. Hopefully he gets ignored as a receiving threat and you pass to him for an easy 3 SPPs.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Rupert
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Rupert »

What about Leader on the double - it takes a long time before HE can afford to buy RR.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

ive always thought leader was a waste of a skill, certainly a waste of a double roll, there are far more useful skills to take