Wardancer with Dauntless and MultiBlock?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Fronko
Super Star
Super Star

Wardancer with Dauntless and MultiBlock?

Post by Fronko »

Do you think, that was a good combination? I have a wardancer with dauntless already and now I'm thinking about what to do, if he gets a double on his next increase.

I would use him

a) to singlehandedly clear a path on one of the sidelines (ok, another elf would assist, to get 2 dice) and then rush all my catchers through
b) to attack the ball carrier and his pal in a cage (if possible) to negate guard on that pal.

I DO know, that b) is hard to achieve, if the ball carrier is inside the cage and not on the margin, but maybe I can push him there with a previous block (?).

I just think that once my opponents get guard more frequently, cage busting will be a hard thing, even for WD's. So that maybe will help. What do you think about it? Will this work or is it nonsense?

What other suggestions do you have?

Jump Up is fine for any blitzer, so that would be my second choice.
Mighty Blow is not that good as we use a variation of standard rules, that says we have to announce the use of MB on armour or injury BEFORE rolling. So, that makes MB less valuable.
Frenzy is not so good, as I'll use my WDs as precision tools, which frenzy would kind of negate.
Guard I'll rather take for my lineelves.

Anything else you might think of?

Reason: ''
[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/DesTroy1968/nba3-1.gif[/img]

Official wesleytj fan.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Not a bad idea. I think I'd prefer Jump Up or Guard though. Its quite high risk - against S6 you've got a 45% chance of failing the dauntless.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

It's a combo that may seem good on paper, but in practice it pretty much sucks. Too often you'll fail your dauntless roll and end up in trouble.

I'd stick with the obvious choice if i were you. Go for mighty blow. Or if you want to make him better at what he does, frenzy is the way to go.

nkelsch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nkelsch »

The Multiple Block/Dauntless combo really isn't worth doing without horns... When a beastman (or minotaur) does it... it becomes a 'end of turn' action where you throw ONE model into the fray and if he lives and pounds people... yay, if not, you were going to end your turn anyways.

Why the hell would you want to do a dauntless Multible block when it is only going to result in a 1 die block anywho??? For it to be worth your time you would need a 'sidekick' with guard to follow the wardancer around so your dauntless would gain an assist. And even with all that you have a good chance of failing and giving them a 2 dice THEIR choice on your best guy!!!

Dauntless is best used for taking out big guys when your treeman can't take the pitch... otherwise he should be moving 10 squares and blitzing weenies who are harrasing your ball carrier.

If you have an urge to multiple block, get your treeman MB and give him a 'guard sidekick. That is 7 on 6 most times and 2 die block all over...

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

Ah the days of the Block, Dauntless, Frenzy, Thick Skull, Multi Block, Piling On, Jump Up, Mighty Blow Troll Slayers...memories...

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

I think it depends more on if u think u can expect to have assists where u want them, guard is hard to get on elven teams.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

All you need is an assist on one of the two victims to get a two-dice block. No need for guard.

Fronko
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Fronko »

I don't believe, this "getting an assist" problem is too difficult. I have quite a few ideas on how to do that, Zombie got it right, that an assist on any of the multiblocked guys helps. And after all, once I get someone with guard, this debate is over anyway. So, I'm pretty confident, I can do that. Next thing is the percentage of that dauntless roll failing. but if I go that route, pro will be next. I assume, that pretty much takes care of that problem. And heck, If there wasn't a chance, that at least one of my actions fails, my pals probably wouldn't want to play me anyways. :smoking:

Guess, I'll probably have to think about this some more... It's tempting...

Official wesleytj fan.
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Even with pro, you'll fail a lot more than you think. Most of the time, you'd be blitzing two ST3 players. That mean 21/36 chance of beating that with dauntless. With pro, the chance of failing the dauntless roll remains 29.5%.

So about once every 3 or 4 attempts, you'll be throwing a two dice against block, and risking a turnover. Like i said, it's a pretty crappy combo. I used to think it was good. That was until i actually tried it!

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Not to mention the fact that you've probably already burnt the TRR on the leap.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Fronko
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Fronko »

Well, I don't necessarily have to leap, to reach my target.

But I see your point. Though, if 1 in 3 fails, that means 2 in 3 will succeed. :)

As I said, I'll think about it. Still not convinced to discard this idea...

Official wesleytj fan.
Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

If you really want to use Dauntless and Multiple Block, do it with a Trollslayer, not a Wardancer. Play to your team's strengths.

-Balrog