Need Advice on long-term strategy for a Wood Elf Team

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

nkelsch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nkelsch »

It is an 'INSURANCE POLICY'...

If he piles on, the target will get -6 to armor and +1 on injury (Mighty Blow)

This SERIOUSLY increases the chance the targeted player will be 'off' the pitch. And since treemen don't move much anyways do to failure to dodge, the hardness in getting him up isn't too bad unless you fear FOULING... (which I don't with an AV 10 treeman and sidekicks to prevent foul assists)

It is not something I would suggest you use often, but it puts a psych out in you ropponents mind which forces him to keep his good players away...

Psych outs are a good thing.

Reason: ''
wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

the tree doesn't have to cause cas to be useful. all he has to do is stand on the line and not be an elf. putting him on the ground for your opponent is counterproductive to that plan...therefore don't give the tree piling on.

:)

Rookie

Post by nkelsch »

Tell that to an Orc team who only has 1 gobbo and a very successful 'throw team mate' reputation... piling on the gobbo to give -6 to armor and -2 to injury is almost guaranteed to send the gobbo off the field.

Just because you have PO doesn't mean he has to use it every single time... playing on both sides of the treeman there are many times when piling on would have seriously made a difference.

And it is a big guy crusher... nothing is worse than the wood elves getting 'blitz' or 're set up' and to have that treeman on your ogre... 2 dice... pile on = good chance ogre out of game.

wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

nkelsch wrote:Tell that to an Orc team who only has 1 gobbo and a very successful 'throw team mate' reputation... piling on the gobbo to give -6 to armor and -2 to injury is almost guaranteed to send the gobbo off the field.
You can always make up examples when a skill would be useful. And in that case how often does the tree even get a chance to block the gobbo in question...that tactic is generally used for the 1-turn score mode...the tree can't be involved there.
nkelsch wrote:Just because you have PO doesn't mean he has to use it every single time... playing on both sides of the treeman there are many times when piling on would have seriously made a difference..
Well if he's not going to use it then why take it....there's only one type of player that exists in blood bowl, that has to make a roll to stand up, the treeman. and you want to give him a skill that makes him do that more often? That's crazy.
nkelsch wrote:And it is a big guy crusher... nothing is worse than the wood elves getting 'blitz' or 're set up' and to have that treeman on your ogre... 2 dice... pile on = good chance ogre out of game.
you don't need the ogre out of the game...that's why you have the tree...the tree will keep him occupied. and if you're lucky the ogre will call over a few friends to knock the tree down, meanwhile your elves are laughing as they score. :)

Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Munkey »

nkelsch wrote:And it is a big guy crusher... nothing is worse than the wood elves getting 'blitz' or 're set up' and to have that treeman on your ogre... 2 dice... pile on = good chance ogre out of game.
As long as you are happy with a one-for-one trade, the Treeman is likely to not get up and at the speed he moves may not be much use for the rest of the drive.

There's still a good chance the Ogre will be only stunned, especially with Thick Skull, but it's worth considering if big guys give you hassle.

[size=75]The short answer is "no", but it is a qualified "no" because there are odd ways of interpreting the question which could justify the answer "yes".[/size]
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Seriously, only a dumb coach would be scared of a piling on treeman (unless of course he has MA3 like the one in my league). If i played against a MA2 piling on treeman, i'd be begging for the other coach to use that skill on me!

Khrys_Antos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Khrys_Antos »

A treemen would have been useful; IF, their had been bruiser teams. I face Amazons, High Elves, Dark Elves and Skaven. The Skaven is the only one which comes close to a bruiser team and he only has the RO to do the CA.

A PO Treemen is nothing to fear, he'll spend most of the game on the floor. Another bad thing is he's expensive, very expensive.

I'm sticking to the plan from the website and going to boost my linemen by leaving the healthy skilled one's off the LOS and making small passes with them. All I want now is for my players to stop dying. I could handle some serious injuries; that would give me more LOS meat. :D