second skill for a trollslayer

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Ancalagon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

second skill for a trollslayer

Post by Ancalagon »

My Trollslayer has got a normal increase and now I don't know which skill should give him: Guard, pile on, multiple block or Strip Ball. Usually I use him to throw players out of the pitch or block big guys. My next game is against one undead team (1 pileon mummy, rating more than 150).

My team:

1 ogre Without skills
1 trollslayer dodge, pile on
1 trollslayer dodge -new skill-
1 blitzer +1 st
1 blitzer guard
1 runner +1 mo block
1 runner +1 mo nerves of steel
1 LB's stand firm
3 LB's guard
2 logbeards
4 RR
8 FF
Apo
210 treasure (will hire deathroller and alchemist next match)

Reason: ''
If you love something, let it go. If it doesn’t come back to you, hunt it down and kill it.
Redfang
Legend
Legend
Location: With the wife, watching Zara and the Hasslefree chick from behind their bedroom curtain...

Post by Redfang »

Wow both slayers haev dodge :o

How about mighty blow! Always my first choice for a slayer, would have used those doubles for stand firm though...

R

PS Tackle might also be nice to knock down all those dodgers and prevent them from laughing at you when you once again have to either see a catcher escape a blitz or when you have to follow up a dodge player to throw another block in your disadvantage...

Ik wou dat ik twee blondjes was,
Dan kon ik samen spelen.

[size=67][url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334]Bragging[/url][/size]

What keeps me busy nowadays: [url=http://www.bruchius.com/]Fun with violence.[/url]
Asmodan
Legend
Legend

Post by Asmodan »

I would go for Tackle or Mighty Blow as this is usually my first choices on Troll slayers on normal skill rolls.
Guard i think is not very useful on Slayers as they are not the supporting type and Multiple Block is not a very useful skill, at least i have never had much use for it.
Piling On and Strip ball is a good choice but i would have taken Tackle and Mighty Blow first.

Asmodan

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon »

I think pile on is better than MB with latest rules, this is the reason why I didn't choose it. About tackle... well I've got a lot of tacklers in my team...

I did choose dodge on both TS when rolled doubles because this helps to keep them alive, SF just avoid people push them out of the pitch but I have enough guard Longbeards to protect them if this happens.

If you love something, let it go. If it doesn’t come back to you, hunt it down and kill it.
Redfang
Legend
Legend
Location: With the wife, watching Zara and the Hasslefree chick from behind their bedroom curtain...

Post by Redfang »

PO will place the slayers on their back. My experience is that slayers are prime targets for opponents even when then don't have any increases!
I ould prefer to get PO on some longbeards which are easily replaced, have higher AV and aren't considered as targets in the first place.

Dan kon ik samen spelen.

[size=67][url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334]Bragging[/url][/size]

What keeps me busy nowadays: [url=http://www.bruchius.com/]Fun with violence.[/url]
Asmodan
Legend
Legend

Post by Asmodan »

Well most of your other players do have tackle,but that does not help the Troll slayer when he is trying to knock other players down.
I have found it terrible annoying to not having tackle on him when i am facing Blodging teams.

Asmodan

Redfang
Legend
Legend

Post by Redfang »

PO also prevents slayers more or less from blocking next turn!

Dan kon ik samen spelen.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

PO is quite a good choice - it makes the other one less of a target.

Pro is very useful for those dauntless rolls & blocking.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon »

ian: I have 4 RR and my players are quite full of skills I think pro won't be much useful on this kind of player.

Nobody voted for multiple block...

Redfang
Legend
Legend

Post by Redfang »

I tried Multiple Block on a slayer once, and it raised all kinds of questions back then, such as must I follow up and Frenzy-block both players again, or only one of them, can I mighty blow both, only one,neither? etc.
Some of these questions have now been answered (I believe) in the 2002 Review, but some have not. Furthermore it's a skill that stalls gameplay and is annoying to use. Therefore, I don't like it.

R

Dan kon ik samen spelen.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Ancalagon wrote:ian: I have 4 RR and my players are quite full of skills I think pro won't be much useful on this kind of player.

Piling On is the best injury causing skill available.

Pro I still like - it helps put players down when blocking and you don't necessarily want to use a TRR for that. On top of which it helps give dauntless a bit a of a boost.

Tackle is another useful skill - across the board tackle is a complete pain for some teams.

Break Tackle - well you've already got dodge, so 3+ instead of 4+ means you may use it to move.

Strip Ball is unesssary - Tackle/Pro with Frenzy should give you excellent odds of putting a ball carrier down and be useful on other players.

Multiple Block can't be used with Frenzy so there is absolutely no point taking it.
LRB 2.0 wrote:Frenzy is not used with secret weapon attacks or any other kind of attack other than a straightforward normal block on one opponent!

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Ancalagon wrote:ian: I have 4 RR and my players are quite full of skills I think pro won't be much useful on this kind of player.

Here's right, you should consider pro. It's the perfect skill for rerolling non crucial (read non turnover threatening) rolls, like dauntless and blocks. Even if you had 8 team rerolls, pro would still be a good choice for a player like this.

zeroalpha
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zeroalpha »

I would consider tackle or pro. Mighty blow needs a mention as well. I guess it all depends on your style of play, as many of your team come with tackle already maybe pro is better suited to the slayers.

zeroalpha
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zeroalpha »

I would consider tackle or pro. Mighty blow needs a mention as well. I guess it all depends on your style of play, as many of your team come with tackle already maybe pro is better suited to the slayers.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

BOTH my Slayers took what should be your chice as their first skill. Mighty Blow.

Slayers are there to hurt people. Especially people bigger than themselves. MB is an enormous help in that.

(I would have SFed the Slayers too. Means a frenzy can leave you by the sideline and you don't have to worry about Crowd surfing. Also makes him incredibly annoying when you later give him Guard.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.