Pro for whights strategy?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Vargtass
Rookie
Rookie

Pro for whights strategy?

Post by Vargtass »

I am extracting this point on Pro usage for whights in the classic Undead roster from the thread "Am I the only person who doesn't like Pro?".

The question is if Pro is a good choice for the whights in order to increase the team's overall reroll capacity? Examples include making it possible to stop several turnovers each turn, and to save the available team rerolls over a larger part of the half.

The idea is to use Pro every time a reroll is needed for any player possessing Pro, and then use a team reroll to reroll the Pro. Statistically, this result in an expected output of 100% success for the cost of 0.67 team rerolls (see the referenced thread).

Another arguments supporting the idea is that the use of Pro increase the knockdown rate (and thus the cas rate).

So, is this a good strategy, or should anything else be preferred?

Vargtass

Reason: ''
Watch the lizard with the crimson veil ...
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

I wouldn't go for it on my undeads, as they start with 4 rerolls. At least not before tackle and either strip ball or sure hands. Maybe as a third skill, and never for the use you describe (not when the outcome can be a turnover).

zeroalpha
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zeroalpha »

I think pro is a worthwhile skill for a player who is generally active (as in rolling more dice, blitzer vs lineman for example).

Wether you are looking to concerve re rolls or not, it has its advantages

Redfang
Legend
Legend
Location: With the wife, watching Zara and the Hasslefree chick from behind their bedroom curtain...

Post by Redfang »

I've never used pro, and never considered it either. (Though I was wondering only yesterday whether it would be a good skill)

However, I might consider it as a 3rd skill for a wight, after skills like tackle and possibly strip ball (another skill I've never taken)

R

BTW In my current Undead team, I have 4 wights, 2 with 1 increase (tackle) 2 with 2 increases (tackle and +1 Ag/tackle + Mighty Blow)
I also have 5 rerolls and a full squad, allowing me to buy more rerolls for my money!

Ik wou dat ik twee blondjes was,
Dan kon ik samen spelen.

[size=67][url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334]Bragging[/url][/size]

What keeps me busy nowadays: [url=http://www.bruchius.com/]Fun with violence.[/url]
Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Re: Pro for whights strategy?

Post by Marcus »

Vargtass wrote:Statistically, this result in an expected output of 100% success for the cost of 0.67 team rerolls
How do you get 100% success? You've only got a 75% chance of getting a reroll on the failed roll.

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
Vargtass
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vargtass »

It's an expected output average. Check out my original post at the thread "Am I the only person who doesn't like Pro?" in the Rules and Skills Queries topic.

Vargtass

Watch the lizard with the crimson veil ...
Mortalman
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Mortalman »

I think pro is a fine skill for any blitzer type on a log AG team, especially where you don't have access to a lot of agility skills. For an elf team it is possible to kit out your blitzer with sure hands, sure feet, catch, dodge etc and re-roll virtually any dice you want but this isn't likely for a wight so Pro is the logical alternative. Granted it isn't 100%, and I never use team re-rolls on the pro roll as I don't feel that's in the spirit of the rules (no judgement on other players, just my opinion) but it's still good for desperate 'last chancers'.

"Well I am a king!"
"Oh King! Very nice! And how d'you get that then?"
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Tackle and/or Strip Ball 1st. 2nd skill it may be worthwhile as they do a lot of hitting.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Vargtass wrote:It's an expected output average. Check out my original post at the thread "Am I the only person who doesn't like Pro?" in the Rules and Skills Queries topic.

Vargtass
Still, how can you have a 100% AVERAGE? If you can't have more than 75% success for any one roll, you sure as hell can't have an average above that. Your math seems very suspicious.

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Yeah, in your other post you added something up to 150% probability. Slight misunderstanding of probability I think, probability always deals with numbers between 0 and 1 IIRC.

Besides which your original argument is predicated on the assumption that preserving rerolls is the most important use for them. I see your point about wanting to maximise your chances of succeeding over the long run, but the game is about more than maximising long term returns.

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
Artificial Penguin
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Artificial Penguin »

"Statistically, this result in an expected output of 100% success for the cost of 0.67 team rerolls (see the referenced thread). "

AAAAAAAIIIIGHGGH!!!! Please work on the semantics here, this rubs me the wrong way.

As for the Wight thing, you'd have a hard time convincing me that you shouldn't take Tackle AND Strip Ball FIRST. Zombie also made the point of having 1 or 2 Sure Hands players on your team.

However, given that you can take 4 Wights, why not try it out on your 3d or 4th Wight and let us know how it compares to the other guys?

I'm a bubble in a sound wave
A sonic push for energy
Exploding like the sun
A flash of clean light hope

For Blood Bowl in Seattle, check out the Game Wizard in Ballard (www.game-wizard.com).
wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

Zombie wrote:I wouldn't go for it on my undeads, as they start with 4 rerolls. At least not before tackle and either strip ball or sure hands. Maybe as a third skill, and never for the use you describe (not when the outcome can be a turnover).
hehe i start undead teams with 6 rerolls, and i still take pro on wights. you only get to use 1 team rr a turn. :)

Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

One of the coaches in my league started an undead team with 6 rerolls and all his wights are taking Tackle as their first skill and Pass Block as their second. So far this seems to work great.

-Balrog

wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

Balrog wrote:One of the coaches in my league started an undead team with 6 rerolls and all his wights are taking Tackle as their first skill and Pass Block as their second. So far this seems to work great.

-Balrog
that those are effective wight skills as well. just because i prefer tackle and pro on all but one and sure hands and pro on the other doesn't mean any other way is wrong. :)

Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

wesleytj wrote:hehe i start undead teams with 6 rerolls, and i still take pro on wights. you only get to use 1 team rr a turn. :)
How? At 70k apiece, that's 420k right there. I don't think anyone would start undeads without a mummy, so maybe you get something like this?

2 mummies 200k
1 wight 90k
1 ghoul 70k
2 skeletons 60k
5 zombies 150k
1 FF 10k
6 RR 420k

Seems sub-par to me, but that's your call!