Pro for whights strategy?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

I don't remember exactly, but I think my friend's undead roster w/ 6 rerolls went something like this:

2x Wight 180k
10x Skeleton 300k

6x Reroll 420k
9x Fan Factor 90k

Treasury 10k

The team didn't do so well in its first few matches, but now that he has 2 mummies and 4 wights the team is rockin'.

-Balrog

Reason: ''
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

What kind of rules do you play to have 3 mummies on an undead team? And don't tell me Khemri because they don't have wights. Seriously, you have to be a rookie to start undead without 2 mummies. Everyone knows they're the most underpriced players in the game! And wights are about the most overpriced, so...

Cervidal
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Cervidal »

On Pro:

Personally, I would rather see it taken as a second skill on a Zombie (if such a thing exists!) If I give Pro to anyone, it is to my Linemen or Big Guys who tend to throw a lot of blocks. I am loathe to reroll block dice that don't result in attacker down. It feels like I am throwing the reroll down a well. Pro, however, gives me a 50/50 chance to take another stab at bashing your front line.

Pro is also good for Line-type players in that it also acts a bit like Dodge when you desperately need to go elsewhere on the field. This is important because there aren't many Lineman-types who can normally get Dodge.

Pro would never be a first skill on my players, though, regardless of the position and role that player fills.

wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

Zombie wrote:
wesleytj wrote:hehe i start undead teams with 6 rerolls, and i still take pro on wights. you only get to use 1 team rr a turn. :)
How? At 70k apiece, that's 420k right there. I don't think anyone would start undeads without a mummy, so maybe you get something like this?
Seems sub-par to me, but that's your call!
1mummy
1wight
10zombie/skel
6rr
9ff

it is subpar for a game or two, but once you get going it's unstoppable. :)

and i've actually won my first game with this roster before...it was harder than hell but I did it...vs chaos iirc. I do have a losing record overall on my first game or two when i've done it this way (probably 1-4 or so 1st game), but as I've said in the long term it ROCKS. :)

Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

Zombie wrote:Seems sub-par to me, but that's your call!
1mummy
1wight
10zombie/skel
6rr
9ff

it is subpar for a game or two, but once you get going it's unstoppable. :)

and i've actually won my first game with this roster before...it was harder than hell but I did it...vs chaos iirc. I do have a losing record overall on my first game or two when i've done it this way (probably 1-4 or so 1st game), but as I've said in the long term it ROCKS. :)

Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

sorry had an error so i didn't think it sent the 1st time...didn't mean to duplicate.

Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

you could have just deleted the second duplicate post

wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

how do you do that?

Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Edit post, then check the "delete this post" box at the bottom.

Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

Zombie wrote:What kind of rules do you play to have 3 mummies on an undead team? And don't tell me Khemri because they don't have wights. Seriously, you have to be a rookie to start undead without 2 mummies. Everyone knows they're the most underpriced players in the game! And wights are about the most overpriced, so...
Oops, the 3 was a typo, fixed it to 2.

And why do you have to be a rookie to start without Mummies? It's not like they go up in price after starting the team, and 2 mummies with 6 rerolls is a sweet setup. Seriously Zombie, you need to lighten up and accept the fact that not everyone sees BB the same way you do. This team was obviously very weak in its first few games, but now he's on game 7 and he has a 2-2-3 record, not bad at all. One thing that my friend really liked about starting with this roster is that it taught him how to play with crap players like skeletons and use them effectively, instead of right away relying on his mummies.

-Balrog

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

The last 3 teams i've started (chaos dwarf, halfling and amazon) could all have started with 6 rerolls without sacrificing any positional player (the 12th player for chaos dwarves, the 14th and 15th players for halflings, and the apoth for amazons). The only reason i went with only 5 every single time is because i didn't think i'd get to use the 6th reroll much, so it would have been kind of wasted. In retrospect, it was a good move in all those case. And that's from someone who takes a lot of risks in his games, so needs a lot of rerolls.

What i'm saying is that even long term, it's a better move to start with 2 mummies and drop the 6th reroll.

Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

Zombie wrote:What i'm saying is that even long term, it's a better move to start with 2 mummies and drop the 6th reroll.
For you yes, but maybe for someone else no. That's all I'm saying. ;-)

-Balrog

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

I've never met anyone who takes more risks in a game than i do (in fact i take too many for my own good, go for it too often, etc). I find it hard to believe that anyone could use a 6th reroll more often than i do.

Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

It's not necessarily a question of risk taking, it's a question of reroll usage. For example, if you get a two die block with a wight against a player who doesn't have block and get only a pushback, do you use a reroll? Most coaches would say no, but some might say yes. So, it's not just risk taking, but playing style as well.

What it comes down to though, is that my friends line-up for undead works for him, and it's obviously different then what you would do. Each person approaches the game differently; on this board you will find many coaches who use an analytical approach (you and I both fall into this category), but my friend uses a much different approach, and although his decisions are sometimes mind-boggling to me, they work for him.

Like you, I thought that his starting roster seemed a little weak, but now I see that his team is very strong; so I guess we are wrong.

-Balrog

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

I guess that like you, i'd have to see it to believe it.