Wood elf lineman skill

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Fronko
Super Star
Super Star

Wood elf lineman skill

Post by Fronko »

Hi folks!

It´s me and my wood elves again. :)

One of my linemen has got an AG increase on his first level-up. For his second increase I was thinking about leap, pass block and dodge, finally gave him pass block, because I thought, those additional SPPs would help him get to the third increase faster.

Now he is close to his third increase, and again I´m thinking about three choices:

a) Leap - that would make it easier to get behind enemy lines and he´d be a serious annoyance
b) Dodge - similar, will also help to dodge through the lines, might be a bit more risky, but also helps, when this guy will be blocked
c) Catch - that would increase the chance of an interception from 50% to 75%... is that worth it?

I usually use that guy both on offence and defence, on defense he tries to cause turnovers by interceptions and on offense he acts as a distraction, dodging through on one side, while my main assault breaks through on the other.

So, what do you guys think? Or is there something else, I might have missed?

Reason: ''
[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/DesTroy1968/nba3-1.gif[/img]

Official wesleytj fan.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Dodge means he can just run straight through enemy lines and gives him a bit of protection from blocking. I'd think he gets hit a lot.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Nermal
Veteran
Veteran

dodge

Post by Nermal »

on the other hand dodge is countered by tackle. basic knowledge i know. but leap is a 2+ with AG5 no matter what. he can make a leap unaffected by other skills.

food for thought.

Rolling Thunder
ZanzerTem
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Tampa, FL (I USED to be able to see Galak in the distance!)

Post by ZanzerTem »

Id say catch and leave him on your side of the field.

NAF # 581
Commish of the ABBL, Tampa Bay's premier BloodBowl League!
Nermal
Veteran
Veteran

skills

Post by Nermal »

i have to say that i am dubious about "giving skills to earn star player points"

i am guilty as everyone else of doing it though. in days gone past i have given line men dirty player as it would ensure rapid development but giving skills that may not be esentially a good skill for the player to hurry up his development is not always the best way to develop a team...

thoughts anyone ???

Rolling Thunder
horekim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by horekim »

I lost my block, AG 5, leap, dodge Dragon Warrior last night to my opponents only player with tackle!! Nevertheless I'd still go with dodge for the protection.

Lead Under The Bed - My painting blog
Asmodan
Legend
Legend

Post by Asmodan »

Tough choice.
I would say it depends on what else you have and what you want to use him for.
Leap is something i feel all ag 5 players should have simply because it really helps when you start meeting good teams with tackle.
Dodge is also very helpful unless you meet a lot of tackle teams, then i would have considered something else.
Catch will mostly only help you to intercept, but since most players are not stupid enough to try and throw the ball over an ag 5 catch players, it would not help you get more SPP.
So the only thing it helps for is to stop the opponent throwing the ball.
But this could be a good tactic if you have a player to break cages.

Other skills worth considering:

Block is a must for elves and you should get it fast.
Strip ball is also a good skill combined with leap and ag 5.
It helps you break those cages.

Asmodan

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

My call would be dodge. Helps you get into passblock position, both during a passblock move and standard move. Leap helps there as well but, as Ian pointed out, won't help you when you get hit.

Sure you can be hit by tacklers but:

(a) Not everyone has tackle
(b) If they have tacklers that's one they have to use hitting this guy and not a wardancer
(c) You may force your opponent into burning skill choices on tackle, which will benefit you in the long run in the league.

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

Bloodbasher Masher wrote:Id say catch and leave him on your side of the field.
catch? all elves catch on a 2, it seems like a total waste on the guy who's got more ag.

i'd say definitely leap or dodge.

leap has the benefit of making him much more dangerous. dodge is almost as dangerous but has the added benefit of making him harder to knock down (unless opponent has tackle)

that's prolly the key: lots of tackle in your league, take leap. not so much, take dodge imo.

Super Star

Post by Fronko »

Hi and thanks for all that support!

Nermal:
Well, maybe you´re right, didn´t make a single interception with that guy so far. But I believe, over time, he´ll make it. :)

Asmodan:
I have enough cage breakers, i.e. my wardancers. Though they´re only AG4, they have all the skills they need. I will use this guy for those two purposes I mentioned only.

Tad:
The only reason I was considering catch is for increased interception chances. That would give me a reroll for that 4+ interception. I believe it would be a good addition if thinking about interception only, but leap/dodge are more commonly useable.

So, I get the common stream is leap or dodge, depending on how much tackle there is in my league. Hard to say, I haven´t encountered it so far, but I strongly believe, once all the other teams are fitted with block, they start giving them tackle. After all, it´s a 3 elves, 1 human, 2 bashers league. They WILL be getting tackle, don´t you think?

Do you think, it would be worth getting both dodge and leap? Or, as these skills seem to be similar in effect, is it going to be a waste?

So many questions... :)

Official wesleytj fan.
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Can I put out a shout for Diving Tackle on doubles?
Use the pass block move to get him into position.
Shadowing for similar reasons.
You can use pass block to get next to teh guy, the extra AG helps with the dodges through Tackle zones you might need and the int attempt, and then you're going to be a pain for the reciever to get loose from.

Just trying to come up with idea that haven't been mentioned...things that combo well with PB.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Fronko
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Fronko »

Good point Thadrin, but that´s what I have my catchers for. PB and shadowing is a nasty combination, I agree.

My line of thinking was the following: I´ll have to catchers with PB/Shadowing, for that "attaching business". So, on his turn, hopefully he can only blitz one of them away. And THEN I´ll use the AG5 dude for intercepting the pass. Ok, a sensible opposing coach maybe won´t let ALL of this happen, but that is pretty much my plan.

Oh, and, I don´t need doubles for AG skills. But I´m sure, you actually know that. :)

Official wesleytj fan.
Heiper
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Heiper »

I play Woodies in my league atm. AG upgrade on Linemen isn't IMO all that good. But I would go as the others say here with dodge first, WE goes dodge before Block just because they have MA7, as it makes the whole team a 2-turn scoring threat. Yes i guess ppl in your league will get tackle after a little while, but the added protection (at least for a while) and the help he gets combined with PB makes this the best choice. Getting a double would put you in a hard position, it would be as good as a wasted double, I think I would still have gone with dodge.

Tbh, you were unlucky you got the AG upgrade on the lino, on a WD, Catcher or Thrower it would have been a dream upgrade.

-Heiper-
Fronko
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Fronko »

Allright, I would'nt call it unlucky. Sure, an AG5 WD is better, than an AG5 Lineelf. But he still rocks. He will (together with his two catcher friends) disrupt any serious passing play. So, I'm quite happy to have him. At least, his AG+ was on first increase. There is nothing worse than stat increases after you have already assigned 2 or 3 skills.

And my positions still have enough upgrades for ST+ or AG+ :)

Official wesleytj fan.