Orc Team Progression

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Mortalman
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Mortalman »

If you TTM a goblin and he fails his landing roll, then its only a turnover if he is carrying the ball
What is this all about? Sure a turnover occurs if anyone from the moving team is knocked over/falls over? So if the gobbo fails to land safely it's still a turnover isn't it?

Reason: ''
"Well I am a king!"
"Oh King! Very nice! And how d'you get that then?"
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Only if he has the ball. If its a gobbo without the ball then its not a turnover. This is an exception to the rule ;]

Maybe you can think of it as not landing rather than falling over, or being knocked over.

Mortalman
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Mortalman »

Sorry to harp on about this but where does it say that business about the exception to the rules? Cos I've never seen anyone play that - not that I've seen a goblin chucked in a while.

"Well I am a king!"
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Funnily enough its the in throw team mate landing section. Page 23 of the LRB.
A failed roll does not count as a turnover unless the player was holding the ball.
You still have to make an armour and inj roll for them, but assuming they pass that they can then take an action if they have not done so.

Mortalman
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Mortalman »

Well thanks for that I checked and you're bang on. Sorry for the mistrustful attitude, but on other forums I've been on I've found rule interpretations cited that while commonly played have no basis in the rules themselves! Does this mean, then that a player can be chucked, fail to land, not be hurt and then get up for three points of movement? If so (as long as you had a good thrower) it could be worth chucking the gobbo first without the ball, and if he can make it to the endzone then have the thrower lob him the ball. At least that way you wouldn't bother exposing the ball if the gobbo didn't make it!

Also, just as an aside I reckon if a BG throws a little guy accurately and he lands, he should get a passing completion SPP, I mean it's hard enough!

"Well I am a king!"
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Nope you can't do that in one turn. If you throw the goblin then its the pass action used up that turn, so you then can't throw the ball to him as well. You could throw a goblin one turn though and then throw him the ball the next turn if you want. The only way to get a 1 turn td by throwing the goblin, is to throw him while he is holding the ball. Same goes for halfling teams ;]

nkelsch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nkelsch »

I have an ogre with +1 agility and a goblin with pro, and the 1 turn TD is a very real and viable solution.

3/4 past games I have pulled it off.

Even if you don't plan to do it, it SERIOUSLY breaks how your opponent will set up. The THREAT is still there.

I deploy my ogre in a widezone with the gobbo in base to base.

I put my kicker/thrower (sure hands) in the backfield.

Depending on the scatter, the ball handler grabs the ball (3+ with reroll), Hands off (Gobbo catch on 3+) and from the LOS the ogre can throw him with a -1 and still be in TD range. (5+ for accurate) Gobbo lands on a 4+ (3+ if accurate) and scampers in. With a Pro reroll for the gobbo and a team reroll, the only weak spot is the ogre throw...

Lots of rolls? yep... but simply deploying that way FORCES most people to COVER the backfield with at least 4 players where on a kickoff they would most times put maybe 1.

So TTM can be used as a 'psyke out' because if they don't cover the back field I might throw him...if they do, I might bust his line and run it.

Blaccug Bonecracker
Rookie
Rookie

Orcs on offense

Post by Blaccug Bonecracker »

To get back to the offensive play question, one thing that one never should forget is that you have to advanse to score. I have played vs hitting team coaches who have knocked down your line of scrimmage, picked up the ball, but didn't follow up or advance. They then tried to make a cage in their side of the field. That has never worked, as they have too much field to cover to score.
When your orcs have knocked down the LoS, run others up in contact with the rest of their team, to form a cage with the rear being your LoS players! Then keep hiting them.

Of course, this is just one method, but the important thing is to think forward!

And, as others have said, for orcs part of the offensive tactic is to decimate the opposition. For me, tthat means Mighty Blow, and Tackle, of you expect lots of elves and other pests. I don't use Piling on, as that leaves a player lying down, which means he can't block next turn. In my league, we do not foul much, so I seldom take Dirty Player either. That would be on a gobbo, perhaps. My orcs are more useful to me on the field than sent off...