Apothecary for Vampires

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Cestrian
Rookie
Rookie

Apothecary for Vampires

Post by Cestrian »

I bought an apothecary for my vampire team but I'm struggling to work out how best to use it. The league I'm in is quite early on, so the risk to my vampires is still fairly low. Would anyone use it on the thralls to stop going down below 11 for the next drive for instance?

For reference, my team is: 10 thralls, 3 vamps, 4 rrs, 6 fan factor, apothecary.

Reason: ''
harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Apothecary for Vampires

Post by harvestmouse »

Probably not. Everything is case by case though in this game. Generally, save the apo for the vamps. However, if it is for a positive reason e.g. result changing then definitely don't save it.

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

I would take the app almost exclusively for the vamps (or a really, really developed thrall if there is such a thing). Also, take it on the first vamp that gets injured and don't wait for later injuries. They might never come and you are potentially crippling yourself in the meantime.

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
Cestrian
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cestrian »

Thanks, that's helpful. I'll let the first few thralls stay injured and only use it on a thrall if it's game changing.

purdindas
Super Star
Super Star

Post by purdindas »

Remember it can be used to keep a knock out on the field also

Have you tried my Crispy Pancakes?

Scottish Blood Bowl Captain
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Cestrian wrote:... so the risk to my vampires is still fairly low ...
That's dangerous thinking. You've said this is early-league, so I'm guessing that your 3 vamps don't have many skills. People hit your vamps all the time, with Blockers and Tacklers. Regeneration helps but you have to decide whether to use an Apothecary before you roll for it.

I wound up with a ST3 (skilled) vamp because, a few turns earlier, I thought a +AG thrall was more important.
Thralls are cheap to replace and honestly you don't want them so skilled that you'd consider an apothecary - a few blockers and a kicker, fine. But you are going to end up biting them, that's what they're for, and it sucks to have to bite a Block/Kick/Leader/Guard Thrall because that's the only one near where you have to pass ...

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Cestrian
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cestrian »

A few games in with the apothecary and I've not used him once! Just thralls getting injured/killed, and none at any really vital points so I've just let them go. I have been tempted with using it on knocked out vamps but in both cases it was 1st/2nd turn of the game so thought it was too early.

Long may that continue!

El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

I could see a second half early KO negate by an apoth on a Vampire. Especially if the opposing team has no MN or DP skills on their players.

Keeping a player in the game is vital if this player is a Vampire.
They are the reason why you play Vampires.
3 Vampires give you plenty of Gaze options to Blitz the Ball with ST4.
But 2 doesn't.

I'm looking forward to new 2020 Vamps.
Animal Savagery allows your Thralls to suffer to do the actions you wanted any way with ST4 AG 2+.

So my analysis is that Vampires have less of a downside and might be a very solid tier 2 team. Which will sometimes just murder it's own team while the opponent is doing the same.
Some games it might just fall apart because of Nuffle.

But on the whole getting Pro(3+) and Animal Savagery is no longer a liability and possible TO is HUGE for Vampires! 🧛‍♂️ 🧛‍♂️ 🧛‍♂️
As long as you have team mates to punch. 👊

I can't wait to paint them up and play with them.