New League, new Orc Team...just simple help

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

kenshin138
Rookie
Rookie

New League, new Orc Team...just simple help

Post by kenshin138 »

I have played BB for quite a while, just wanted some other help so I can decide which to start with:

3 Blitzers
1 Black Orc
7 LineOrc's
1 Thrower
3 Re-Roll's
8 Fan Factor

- OR -

3 Blitzers
1 Black Orc
6 LineOrc's
1 Thrower
4 Re-Roll's
7 Fan-Factor

Also...since Blitzers and Black Orc's are the same cost..I can change some around. In my previous games I ran 3 Blitzers and 2 Black Orc's and it worked very well. I could start with 2 of each...but Blitzers are faster, more agile, and can score easier. I am tempted to go with the 4 re-roll's to start with as most of the other team's in the league only have 2 re-roll's and it would allow me to score easier and hopefully make some cash early on to get a 12th player.....though 7 fan factor starting kind of bites, its not TOO bad.

Thoughts?

Reason: ''
++
Ryan
martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

Popular opinion seems to be that it is worth starting more black orcs earlier on than you have done, since it allows them to start developing their skills sooner.

Other than that, if you are playing in a league (which from the high FF I guess you are), then you can get away with 11 orcs in the initial line-up due to their high AV. So I would prefer the second line-up to the first.

One possibility is to consider dropping a re-roll and converting a lineman into a black orc.

Just some (highly non-expert where orcs are concerned) thoughts!

Martyn

Dark Elf Blitzer 8/3/4/8 Block, Dodge, MA+1, Shadowing, Side Step, Tackle
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Have a search - there was a recent thread about starting an Orc team.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
kenshin138
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kenshin138 »

Yea, I read most all of the Orc related threads....I was having some "issues" getting my account to let me login so I couldn't post.

Hmm...more Black Orc's eh.

Perhaps the 2 and 2 is a better idea......

++
Ryan
victorvoncarstien
Star Player
Star Player

Post by victorvoncarstien »

I suggest going with the 2nd line up.

The Runaway leader in werewolf lynchings. Now with a suggested 28.57% more lynchability than the leading competitor.

The Postman
Mortalman
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Mortalman »

I'd actually consider 3 BOs to one Blitzer, depending on the other teams in your league. I started a team with 2 blitzers and 4 black orcs (I wasn't so bothered about my FF) and found a nice strong wall of S4 very good for running plays. Opponents are just less willing to block you, and it's very good for tying up players on fast but not too agile teams like Skaven/humans. Obviously if there are a lot of block/dodgers out there you'll want more blitzers to even the score, but I found a strong line good fun.

Just my 2 pennies.

"Well I am a king!"
"Oh King! Very nice! And how d'you get that then?"
nkelsch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nkelsch »

Strength 4 guys can really give you some 'early wins' in a leauge before the other teams get thier skills built up. Black orcs early in the season simply overpower everything but after 4-5 games, most people will have a few guys with guard meaning your str 4 guys will be much easier to 'deal with' by your opponents.

I would start with more black orcs and every time your blitzer gets a SPP roll, buy a new blitzer. Blitzers are going to be your primary ball handlers later in the season so they will get spp pretty quickly...

If you start with more BOs you can get them Block and some rude skill like pile on or stand firm quickly...

(personally, I like starting with an ogre... You want to piss people off? start with an ogre!)

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Don't go blackorc heavy on a starting team unless you're going with lots of rerolls, they'll be pinned down and have to make a lot of block rolls, you're gonna fail a few.

IMO it's blitzers that win games for orcs, not blackorcs.

I'm a fan of:

3 Blitzers - your playmakers, got the speed, got block.
2 Blackorcs - stick them in the outside linebacker position on D to make it hard for finesse teams to get recievers downfield.
2 Throwers - 20k more than a lineman and get to reroll pickups
4 Linemen - makeweights
3 RRs - solid starting number
8 FF - I never start with less than 7

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
nkelsch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nkelsch »

I really like that roster.. 2 BO is a good starting and with 2 passers (or one passer/one kicker) Means you have a serious passing game early in the season.

If your worried about casulties, you can always chop up one fo your 80k guys into 2 gobbos and that would give you 12 players and simply having gobbos around forces players to cover them (because once down field, a gobbo catches as good as any other orc.)

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

The one problem is Marcus's BOB lite Orcs is that BOBs are very slow to progress - getting them in early means they have a better chance of getting that 1st crucial skill before everyone else's team has developed.

It just means you have to be careful when blocking with them.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

I have to agree with Marcus here, I started my orc team w/ no Black Orcs and I haven't lost in 8 games. BOBs will cause many more headaches then they will cure, as they will chew through your rerolls like nobody's business. I wouldn't recommend starting with more then 1 BOB, he's all you'll need at first anyways. The stars of the Orc team are the Blitzers, start with as many as you can afford and proceed from there, there is no such thing as an Orc Blitzer with too many skills.

Also, don't start with more then 4 Linemen, as the Orc team has a lot of positional players, so you won't need more then that.

My suggested line-up:
4 Blitzers
1 Black Orc Blocker
2 Thrower
4 Linemen

3 Rerolls
8 FF

-Balrog

Joshua Dyal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Joshua Dyal »

I started my latest team with:
1 Troll
3 Blitzers
2 BOs
1 Thrower
3 Line orcs
2 Gobbos
3 Re-rolls
3 FF ? (Trying to remember exactly where that left me.)

I agree, the BOs have been essentially no starters -- they don't do much of anything except serve (along with the troll) as a very intimidating front line to my cage (I typically play high elves.) Gobbos and Troll together make for the threat (at least) of a TTM play, and gobbos who advance a little bit actually don't make for half-bad recievers, so you can develop a reasonably competent passing game as well if you want.

But my blitzers are my real stars -- they have almost all my TDs to date.

And the troll is a bit disappointing -- on second thought I'd probably get an ogre now instead. Although I'd probably have to sacrifice a BO into a lineorc or something to pay for him...

I also don't see the need for a really high FF in league play -- you can leech off of the other team's high FF (assuming they have it) and the you can probably spare the occasional lost kick-off result. My FF has sorta equalized with my opponents after about half a dozen games, and I still win things like Perfect Defense and Blitz (both in the second half of my last game) regularly enough to not worry about it. For Tournament play, that'd probably be different, but for league play, I don't think the high FF pays off.

[i]"Alea iacta est."[/i] Julius Caesar
kenshin138
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kenshin138 »

In the end, I started our new season with the following:

3 Blitzer
3 Black Orc
1 Thrower
4 Lineorc
3 Re-Roll
7 Fan Factor

Thus far I have played 2 pre-season games and 3 regular season games. I have lost an orc lineman (first game!) and a black orc. My current team looks like this:

1 Blitzer (+1 AG, Dodge....VERY lucky rolls)
1 Blitzer (Dodge...again...with the luck)
1 Blitzer (a skill, I haven't picked yet, probably strip ball or guard)
4 Black Orc's (one has 2SPP, they dont get much)
2 Lineorc's (both have dodge)
3 Line Orc's (nothing)
1 Thrower (block & accurate)
1 Apothecary
3 Re-Rolls
9 Fan Factor

I won both pre-season games, and am 2-1 for my regular season games. My loss was to a Khemri team (hate mummies....hates!!!). For some reason Nuffle loves my Blitzers, cause they roll great for skills. Nazgut, my star blitzer is fast becoming a target however...he has 7 touchdowns and 28spp already, plus people get sick of orc's dodging on 2+. Skumdreg my thrower has 3 touchdowns of his own and tends to run more than throw, but accurate is still useful. My stupid black orc's can't seem to get any SPP though, hell, I have a LINEORC with 3 casualties (his only SPP), my last game saw a black orc get killed (bought him back) but he got he MVP so that was kind of a waste.

Ah well.......I am still doing quite well despite losing two players already.

++
Ryan
massacre
Rookie
Rookie

Post by massacre »

My Orc team started as follows :

Blitzers x 4
BoB x 3
Thrower x 1
Ogre x 1
Goblins x 2

2 RR and the rest FF 6 i think

Currently we have just finished our first trophy and they came out 5th out of 14 teams, 50% experianced TR 180+ teams (when i was TR 100)

They worked good for me, and dont forget, goblins are expendable..... FOUL!!!! (and get the DP asap ;)

MasSAcrE - NBBL - Essex - England

-==Batfink`s Gonna get Ya!==-