DE team with multiple skill-ups for last game of League

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Athanatos
Rookie
Rookie

DE team with multiple skill-ups for last game of League

Post by Athanatos »

I am a rookie coach in a short league. The league started with 1,300,000 but no skills. There are two divisions, experienced and rookie. As well as standard winnings you get two sponsors who contribute D3*10k per match (if you roll a natural 1 a random player misses a game) Star players are allowed though I chose not to have one to maximise the experience of skilling up.

I have played 6 games in the league and won them all. (Lost the 'cup' game to the player at the top of division 1)
I currently have:

Blitzer (Blodge) with 15 SPP
Blitzer (+Tackle) with 9
Blitzer (+Tackle) with 11
Blitzer with 3 and (MNG-Injury)
WE (+Block) with 14
WE (+Block) with 6
Runner (+Pass) with 11
Assassin (+ Multiple Block) with 8
LE with 3
LE with 1
3 LE with none (one is MNG-Injury)
200k in the treasury (=+50k to TV)
FF8 with 1 Cheerleader and 1 Asst Coach

The MNG are irrelevant as of the 3 games left in the league two coaches have withdrawn (both Dwarves) so I only have one league game left, against a Human team which is also unbeaten. The games against the withdrawn teams will give me an auto-win, with 2 MVP rolls and double winnings per game. Still counts as a game so the MNG is 'used'.

I have 7 players within an MVP of a skill up though not sure how it works, (ie whether I put 3 up for MVP roll once and that one doesn't get the MVP, or put 3 up, roll and then put another 3 up, or put 6 up and roll for each batch of 3) Either way I am guaranteed 2 skills for the first missed game, and a certain 4 if the first and second way with a certain 3 on the 3rd way)

Which skills would you give the possible players, and which order of preference?

Reason: ''
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Re: DE team with multiple skill-ups for last game of League

Post by mattgslater »

Blitzers and Line-Elves, maybe the Block Witch. Fish for doubles with all of them, try to get as many discrete skill rolls as you can by spreading the MVP.

1) Blitzer w/15, Blitzer w/11, Witch w/14. (you can't nominate Blitzer w/3, 'cuz he's MNG).
2) Add Lino w/1.
3) Add Blitzer w/3.
4) Add Lino w/3.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Athanatos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Athanatos »

mattgslater wrote:Blitzers and Line-Elves, maybe the Block Witch. Fish for doubles with all of them, try to get as many discrete skill rolls as you can by spreading the MVP.

1) Blitzer w/15, Blitzer w/11, Witch w/14. (you can't nominate Blitzer w/3, 'cuz he's MNG).
2) Add Lino w/1.
3) Add Blitzer w/3.
4) Add Lino w/3.
Did the rolls this evening almost exactly in the sequence you suggested ( had Lino with 1 in first lineup instead of Blitzer w/11.

4 skills. Regrettably none of them rolled a double. So what skills do you suggest.

The D3 random dice selected:
Lino w/1. - Kick?
WE w/14 - Side Step?
Blitzer w/15 - ?? SS again?
Blitzer w/3 - Wrestle?

Thanks for your thoughts.

My last league game is against the unbeaten Human team. I will make the play-offs and most likely opponent is the same Human team. If I win the play-off then there’d be a match against Div 1 winner ( likely between Undead, who seems to have no problem rolling doubles as he got 2 6+6 after today’s match and a Skaven team that seems to concentrate on fouls)

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

Athanatos wrote: The D3 random dice selected:
Lino w/1. - Kick?
WE w/14 - Side Step?
Blitzer w/15 - ?? SS again?
Blitzer w/3 - Wrestle?
Lino: Dodge
WE: If the human team has dodge (or if you're keeping for another season) I'd go tackle over sidestep
Blitzer w/15: SS or Strip Ball (probably not tackle as I'd rather it on the WE and you've a couple of tackle already). If you don't carry the ball with the Runner as standard though, the best would probably be Sure Hands for a blodge/SH ball carrier.
Blitzer w/3: Dodge

I'm a fan of at least one Wrestle witch (rather than taking block), with frenzy as well it gives good opportunity to get a player (especially a ball carrier) on the floor.

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

I think all of the above from both of you are reasonable with one difference.
WE take SS. Already have Tackle on team, I never add Frenzy/Tackle on same player.
I do a lot of crowd surfs with my Frenzy. SS helps the Frenzy not get surfed in return.

On Lino, Kick and Dodge are both good, but I would add Wrestle to the consideration.

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

Why aren't you a fan of tackle on a frenzy player?

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Tackle all menz, if you ask me. But SS first on a Block Witch. Tackle is a good #3, with an eye to Diving Tackle and Fend. Mighty Blow, then Juggernaut, if you get doubles.

Wrestle witch is similar, but Tackle is even more important because it makes her better at what she's best at.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

My initial response was diminishing returns. I think of them both in terms of anti-Dodge. "If one succeeds, the other was a waste of TV."
I calculated the probabilities and decided I was wrong. The chance of knocking down with Tackle on the second hit outweighs the "waste" of not needing Frenzy on a first defender stumbles.

I will still say I am not a huge Tackle fan and that two Tackle on the team already is enough for me. But, in the future, my Frenzy players may also be my Tackle players.

Athanatos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Athanatos »

I’ll go with kick on the Lino (in part to try and learn its use) and side-step on the WE( as I do try and surf with her)

Considering Diving Tackle on the blitzer w/15

Athanatos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Athanatos »

Now played my last league game, against the previously unbeaten Human team, and won 2-0 after a tight game. Took Kick, DT and 2*SS

Using Kick was good, though tempered by him now MNG due to a random sponsor roll. Effective use of Sidestep is obviously a skill that I need a bit of work on, not that I did anything particularly stupid but sometimes realised a better option. And I need to use the SS witch to surf if there’s any choice.
Diving tackle saved an equaliser TD in turn 8. I’d scored on defence after he’d left his ball carrier exposed then on my turn 7 sandwiched his only possible TD player between the Assassin and the DT Blitzer. He passed the shadow roll but failed the DT dodge having already used a reroll with a GFI to get an assist on the block to free up his Blitzer.
On my second half drive I nearly lost the Ball when the Assassin quad skulled a block (and knocked himself out) exposing my Runner who managed the Dump Off to a surprised LE who was promptly surrounded but managed to get the ball away with an inaccurate long throw that was missed by the WE in the end zone but luckily the throw in wasn’t too bad and I recovered when his player couldn’t pick up but I could and protect him with a cage 7 squares out and we both forgot he had an unused wizard which might have prevented the TD.

Blitzer (Blodgestep) with 20 SPP
Blitzer (+Tackle) with 15 (both TD)
Blitzer (+Tackle) with 11
Blitzer (Diving Tackle) with 8
WE (+Block and Sidetep) with 19
WE (+Block) with 6
Runner (+Pass) with 11
Assassin (+ Multiple Block) with 8
LE with 3 (MNG Injury)
LE (Kick) with 6 (MNG Sponsor)
3 LE with none (one MNG Injury)
370k in the treasury (=+220k to TV) total TV 1720 plus new skill.

One of the Tackle Blitzers got the MVP and rolled a normal skill, What do you suggest?

Also how many more LineElves should I buy? I have 2 (plus Journey Elf if no purchase) for the next game, which is the end of league play-off and last game if I lose (winner plays upper league winner). This play-off game is likely to be the same Human team, who has a 14man team but not entirely sure.

I could get a Star player (and even keep him if there is a final final game)