NAFC Norse

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

NAFC Norse

Post by Jip »

Hi folks, so the NAFC twitching has begun with regards to team selection!

I'm taking Norse this year, having played them for most of the last year. I'm pretty comfortable with what I'm doing, but the two-day split for skills has me thinking about what I might take.

Until recently, I've avoided the Yhetee. I know that's sacrilege in some parts, but just don't trust myself to resist the urge to blitz/block with him every turn and risk a turnover.

More controversy - I usually take the thrower. This is my ball carrier and he usually gets Sure Hands as one of the tournament skills.

Really like Blodge Runners and don't often get the chance to take Guard on anything, so haven't had a load of experience there.

Finally, I've not been playing long enough to be comfortable with less than 3 re-rolls and, due to AV7, Leader on a Thrower is a bit of a risk.

So, here's my thinking, so far.

Option A

Ulf (Block day 1)
Ulf (Block day 1)
Berserker (Mighty Blow/Tackle day 2)
Runner (Dodge day 2)
Runner (Dodge day 2)
7 Linemen (one Sure Hands day 1)
3 RR
Apo
FF 3

Option B

Ulf (Block day 1)
Ulf (Block day 1)
Berserker (Mighty Blow/Tackle/Guard day 2)
Berserker (Mighty Blow/Tackle/Guard day 2)
Runner (Dodge day 2)
7 Linemen (one Sure Hands day 1)
3 RR
Apo
FF 3

Option C

Yhetee (Mighty Blow day 1)
Ulf (Block day 1)
Ulf (Block day 1)
Runner (Dodge day 2)
8 Linemen (one Sure Hands day 2, one something else [Kick, Dirty Player?] day 2)
3 RR
Apo
FF 2

Option D

Ulf (Block day 1)
Ulf (Block day 1)
Runner (Dodge day 2)
Thrower (Sure Hands day 2)
7 Linemen (one something else [Kick, Dirty Player?] day 2)
3 RR
Apo

Any one with more experience at the helm of the Glass Cannon care to offer their input? 3 RR and an apo is a minimum and I'd like to have at least twelve players.

Reason: ''
Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Re: NAFC Norse

Post by mawph »

I'd go option B. It would be a temptation to (as you put in your preamble) upgrade a lineman to a thrower (with sure hands), for the option of a pass reroll if you need a quick score at the end of a half.

One thing to think about for the ulfs: the rest of your team have block already, there will come a point you roll a both down and regret taking block on both ulfs. I'd go at least one wrestle ulf as sweeper/sacker material. Berserker skills I'd lean to are Tackle and Guard. Tackle for taking players down (similar rationale to taking wrestle ulfs) and guard, as its always helpful.

Edit: Final thought of the day, all players have block/wrestle on day 1. Three rerolls on a Norse team is plenty and your aversion to an AV7 chap with leader - he comes with block and you've an apoth, so he's really not that much of a liability. He's already much better protected than his wood elf and skaven kin (who regularly work as leader caddies in tournaments), so 2 plus leader isn't that much of an issue (if you've taken blocking assisting skills)

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
nightwing
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nightwing »

I'd be tempted by a 'middle ground' option not listed- Yhetee, 1 Ulf, 2 Beserkers, Runner, 7 linemen. If my maths right with Apo and 3 RR should be 1.1 on the nose.

MB Yhetee, Tackle Beserker, Block Ulf Day 1.
Guard Beserker, Dodge Runner, Kick/Dirty Player Lineman Day 2

Only 1 Ulf but lets you still have the Yhetee and both of the Beserkers (Jump Up, Frenzy means these guys tend to be the stars of your team)

Scrumpy Scramble (2017), Foul Bowl 2016, SAWBBowl 2017- International Glowworm Award
Auld World Masters 2017- Most Casualties
Chimera Cup 2017- Most Touchdowns
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Hi Jip. I like Options C and D.

I'm not a big fan of the Berzerkers (blitzers?) as I don't think they add much more than a lineman already does, at almost half the price. Skill your Ulfs (check!), MB the troll (check! - indiscriminate damage dealer) and get a useful ball carrier (dodge runner).

-So MB and block ulfs day 1 I think
-leader thrower, dodge runner, tackle lineman day 2

Sure Hands is a nice crutch, but in general dodge (and MA7) is a more flexible ball carrier to cope with a range of situations. To mitigate for a possible failed pickup in turn 1 of a drive you can set up very cautiously with lots of players deep in your backfield in case the defence tries to rush in and pressure you.

Ideally you'd have some guard. Unfortunately I don't think that fits, especially when there's no double. Other positionals and skills are more important.

Good luck with it! Wish I could be there... :( 8)

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by straume »

There is also option E, where you get 13 players, Apo and the 3rd reroll in leader:

Option E

Ulf (Block day 1)
Ulf (Block/Guard day 2)
Runner (Dodge day 2)
Thrower (leader day 1)
8 Linemen (Tackle day2)
2 RR
Apo
1FF

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

straume wrote:There is also option E, where you get 13 players, Apo and the 3rd reroll in leader
That was what I was attempting to get at with my edit above (without having done the numbers).

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
Pipey

Post by Pipey »

straume wrote:There is also option E, where you get 13 players, Apo and the 3rd reroll in leader:

Option E

Ulf (Block day 1)
Ulf (Block/Guard day 2)
Runner (Dodge day 2)
Thrower (leader day 1)
8 Linemen (Tackle day2)
2 RR
Apo
1FF
Yes this is exactly what roster I would pick. Think the block ulfs might be worth getting early though.

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Pipey wrote:Yes this is exactly what roster I would pick. Think the block ulfs might be worth getting early though.
What do you sacrifice for the second Block Ulf on day one though?

Having discussed this with you in person, I'm guessing it'd be the Leader thrower instead of the Mighty Blow Yhetee!

Pipey

Post by Pipey »

Pipey wrote: MB [Yeti] and block ulfs day 1...
Think I'd try that

Arioso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Arioso »

How did you feel with that roster ? Just asking because i have been playing them by myself and are looking into other options.
@pipey is this the roster you would suggest in a 1100 tournament? Why no berserkers?

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Here’s the roster I took:

Ulf (Block day 1)
Ulf (Block day 2)
Runner (Dodge day 2)
Thrower (Leader day 1)
8 Linemen (one with Tackle day 2)
2 RR
Apothecary
1 FF

Finished 3-0-3, in the top 100 - just!

Had three really tough losses against Chaos (with four Guard Warriors and a Block Minotaur), Necromantic (just diced myself to death in that one!) and the Karla/Zara combo ‘fling team.

Would take this roster in future. Actually made me a bit more likely to take just one Runner if I play Norse again.

Definitely didn’t miss the Berserkers. Ulfs are good enough with Block to be your go-to Frenzy pieces. Jump Up is good, but only if you stay on the pitch to subsequently jump up and, in my experience, AV7 doesn’t often leave you with that option!

Pipey

Post by Pipey »

Arioso wrote:How did you feel with that roster ? Just asking because i have been playing them by myself and are looking into other options.
@pipey is this the roster you would suggest in a 1100 tournament? Why no berserkers?
Hey Andreas. Berserkers - I don't think they add much more than a lineman already does, at almost half the price. With finite resources I'd spend funds elsewhere (big bench, apo, ulfs and runner).

RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

(reminds me of that Hungarian guy who spoke 7 languages fluently and told me German was easy because it was exactly like French)

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
Arioso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Arioso »

Pipey wrote:
Arioso wrote:How did you feel with that roster ? Just asking because i have been playing them by myself and are looking into other options.
Hey Andreas. Berserkers - I don't think they add much more than a lineman already does, at almost half the price. With finite resources I'd spend funds elsewhere (big bench, apo, ulfs and runner).
Still they offer Frenzy, Jump Up and the possibility of Guard and Mighty Blow, which i do value a lot by now. I haven't played as many Norse tournament games than you did, i neither have your rating but i switched from no berserkers to actually field both berserkers in 1100k tournaments and at least for me it works quite good. What players do you actually need an APO for if you have a large bench? I know there is a large fraction who plays only one ulfwerener with success which i find interesting to actually disturbing as i see both ulfs mandatory in the Norse Roster