Team Development - Rookie Amazon Coach

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Doc Holiday
Rookie
Rookie

Team Development - Rookie Amazon Coach

Post by Doc Holiday »

Greetings,

I am about halfway through my first season and having a great time with league style play as opposed to tourney one offs.

I've been lucky sharing the spp around and have a pretty good foundation going so I'm wondering where to take the development now - particularly with my most recently leveled up line woman!

I have 9 games left before playoffs so MVPs are already reserved for positionals to guarantee 2nd skill level up (baring lucky TD/CAS/COMP)

The league is INCREDIBLY middle of the road with minimal bash or swish (1 skaven - no elf - no chaos - no orc - 2 khemri).

My team is:

Blitz - guard
Blitz - guard
Blitz - guard
Blitz - 3spp
(Planning on giving all 4 guard/standfirm)

Catch - block
Catch - 4spp
(Planning on giving both block/sidestep)

Throw - block
Throw - block
(Planning giving both sure hands)

LW - wrestle
LW - wrestle
LW - wrestle
LW - CAN'T DECIDE! (Block/kick/DirtyGirl)
LW

4 RR
APO
70K in the bank

Pfffeewwww ok still with me?

So I am appealing to greater and more experienced minds for advice on where to take the team now?

I have a chance to make that LW a specialty piece and go kick or Dirty Player (with cash to buy a backup LW), which seems reasonable since it is likely the only chance to secure these skills - but is either truly needed/critical/useful at this TV?

Kick is great in theory but not as consistently useful as block.
I like the idea of Dirty Player but am not an experienced fouler.

So I'm more inclined just to go block as it's safer and simpler strategy wise - plus with super Stand firm cage I could use an extra Blitzer AND this means I could spend money on an extra reroll instead of banking against Blitzer death - but this feels like missing an opportunity to dip into the specialized skill pool.

What do you folks think?

Also critique of the overall build would be appreciated!

Reason: ''
CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Team Development - Rookie Amazon Coach

Post by CyberedElf »

Kick is a GREAT second skill on any LW. I would probably take Block on the LW currently skilling up.
I'm not generally a fan of DP, YMMV. Tackle and Strip Ball pair very well for second skills after Wrestle.
Blitzers guard, standfirm is great. Some people make one a killer, but I would go with your plan. On doubles, I love Diving Tackle.
Plan for catchers is good. I love Frenzy. On a LW it is okay, but on a side stepper is much better. Third skill might be a long way off though.
I would only plan on one Sure Hands for now. Give the other Leader and drop to 3 RR. 30k less TV is better than a second Sure Hands.
I would save the money unless you are facing dwarf/chorf, in which case more warm bodies might be needed. 4 RR (or 3 and Leader) should be enough.

Doc Holiday
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Doc Holiday »

Thanks for the input!

Ya many builds I see include that killer Blitzer but I'm glad you are in favor of the 'stand firm cage' with one at each corner - assuming I can even field all four!

Frenzy is definitely the endgame for one if not both of those catchers; I just hope they live that long!

I already have 4 rerolls so maybe I should look to a different build altogether for the backup thrower.

Ultimately I think block (or wrestle) is just the safer choice for that line woman. I want dirty player for the novelty but keeping her in the game on her feet will serve me better/more consistently.

CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

"stand firm cage" is great, but I would rather have my guards in the scrum. Two and two is a good, safe split. If playing conservatively, I might put stand firm on opposite corners of cage and have two guards in the scrum.
When I play , I usually start with all four guard near the front line. They only get added to the cage if the cage moves through them and they are needed.

Doc Holiday
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Doc Holiday »

^^^ good point that you don't need to specifically use blitzers - even standfirmers - for the cage since the guard could be better used elsewhere.

Of course the first Blitzer to get a second skill rolled doubles :orc:

So I am thinking of getting sidestep and using that one as a more mobile piece. Not sure what else is worth it, maybe jump up.

Ended up giving that line woman wrestle so I have a larger bank of that skill and more potential to get wracklers and/Or fendlers.

Got two skilless LW's now who I'll reserve for specialty kick/dirty player if they skill up by some miracle before the end of the season.

CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

Save kick for a second skill on a LW. On defense I would rather have one more Wrestle than just kick. Wait till you can get both.

I gave my doubles blitzers Diving Tackle. It pairs great with stand firm that you are going to. I just looked back at your season length/opposition. If you are going to keep this team for multiple seasons I would still take Diving Tackle. If this will be their only season, skip the doubles and take stand firm. I love side step, but it isn't worth 10k TV more than stand firm IMO. They both serve similar functions in my mind. Jump Up is the only other consideration and I wouldn't take it unless it will be a killer using the old Piling On rules.

Doc Holiday
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Doc Holiday »

Oh ya diving tackle totally combos with stand firm, never thought of that!

My only problem with diving tackle is I'm not a very good player :oops: and it actually requires strategy to put it to use. This is why I like stand firm as it's 'always working '.

I'm just suffering classic 'I hafta use the doubles' syndrome, so thought sidestep since it's 'always working' albeit not necessarily in a useful way.

Probably won't make it to 30 spp though, so securing standfirm now might be the way to go.

Would u ever go dirty player for first skill linewomen, say the 15th player? Or just stick to wrestle?

CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

I only take DP on teams that get free linemen from kills. Even then it's more of a thematic thing.
Generally fouling is just not worth it. To foul effectively you need to have a lot of assists, otherwise you are much more likely to lose your fouler than have the opponent leave the pitch.
It is very hard to have a lot of assists and still have good area control on the pitch.
I only know one coach that can use fouling effectively and it's not me.
YMMV

Assuming no DP, if you break armor the fouler leaves the pitch 11/36 and the target leaves the pitch 15/36.
If you don't break armor, the fouler leaves the pitch 1/6 and the target never leaves the pitch.
The target might just be KOed the fouler is gone for the game.
Yes, you may be fouling expensive target with cheap player, but the math just doesn't work out until you have a lot of assists in which case you are probably letting your opponent control the board.

Doc Holiday
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Doc Holiday »

Those odds are worse than I thought.

Read an article saying DP was consistent - when u can assist the armour down to a 6....

Didn't really think about how over commited that would be.

Think the zons have a lot of better choices - even just tackle for my play group.

Thanks again!

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

I'd mix up some MB with the SF for the blitzers, helps you gain spps and removes opos from the pitch.

Zon blitzers don't need doubles, SF does pretty much the same as SS. Later on you might want DT, but guard SF and MB are better to start with.

For catchers I'd get SS and DT, I'm wary of frenzy on ST3 players, moreso if they are quite slow.

You are right to choose block on the positionals and wrestle on the linos. I'd give one of the throwers accurate, you don't want to play the passing game, but sometimes you'll need to.

Tackle on the linos next, after giving one kick.

Take any stat increases you roll apart from maybe a 5 and 5 where you might wanna go guard instead for the linos and catchers, possibly Strong Arm on a thrower, MA >>>> AV.