Humans starting roster, please help

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Hegel
Experienced
Experienced

Humans starting roster, please help

Post by Hegel »

I have a developed humans team since years but now I want to start a new one for a new rookie season. All teams start at 1000k and there will be a good mix of teams. I had some pretty bad starts already, with player losses or permanent damage in the first or second round, and thus having to recover for a longer period. This brought me to a somewhat different approach. What do you think about

Ogre
4 Blitzer
6 Linemen
Apo
3 Rerolls

The idea behind is all the rerolls I need, AV8 on all players, all blitzers and an apo to deal with early kills/injuries. Next buy would be a thrower, then a catcher... do you think this is a good approach ?

Reason: ''
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Re: Humans starting roster, please help

Post by nazgob »

It's a really healthy start.

Personally, i think it's pretty much the best. I do love the thrower though, so that guy is essential as your next player.

Catchers can be better than most people think, so a couple are worth having.

The only real choice is whether to drop the ogre for positionals and a bonus player.

1 ogre = 1 thrower and a catcher (12 players)

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

This is my second favorite roster for Humans.

My favorite is one that drops the Ogre for a 12th man and 2 positionals.
4 Blitzers
6 Linemen
1 Thrower
1 Thrower or Catcher
1 Apothecary
3 Re-Rolls

Well, really, my favorite favorite one is this one. But I only recommend that one if you're a bit of a masochist.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Jorgen_CAB
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

Humans are my favourite team...

I usually favour skilled players over the Ogre in my starting team but the Ogre is a good choice to... I would still want 12 players on any starting team as the Humans even if I start with the Ogre.

My strategy is to have a total of 8 important key players on my team, that usually are (4 Blitzers, 2 Catchers and 2 Throwers) or (3 Blitzers, 3 Catchers and 2 Throwers) . The rest should basically be Linemen and possibly the Ogre. You need 13-14 players in total in a league settings, you need spares. You will often have at least some players injured between games, so you are down to 12-13 players per game quite regularly.

I would never skill any one but the eight players with more than one possibly two skills. You need to have allot of sacrificial players in your team who is as cheap as possible. These should be used to protect your more valuable players on the field and do the fouling. The Ogre is a sacrificial player and should never be regarded as important, sack him between seasons if he becomes too expensive and concentrate on your key players.

Skills on the linemen should be Kick, Wrestle or Dirty Player they really don't need anything else and I usually ignore any doubles or stat increases no matter what it is.

Never keep more than 6 or possibly 7 key players on the field at any time if you can. Human teams should have a few players heavily geared for offensive and defensive play and only field them when you are either attacking or defending, usually this is your catchers and throwers jobs.

Only use the apothecary on your key players unless there is a REALLY good reason not to.

dirt mcgirt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dirt mcgirt »

If you want to bash more then take the ogre. But it may be a slow skill up process. I would take the team with more skilled players/no ogre and get skills on them, then add an ogre once you have collected funds after a few games. if that helps.

El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

I think that Matt's roster is a good suggestion. I believe that the Ogre is less important on the starting roster as the new MVP rules make it easier to skill the guy up.

Sure Hands is far to useful to save TRR and I do like a catcher to help vs speed teams.
12 Men are good to have because AV8 does tend to break frequently enough.

The big downside is that vs strength teams you don't have an easy way to answer being out strengthened.