The Jackass Offense: Pinning Down the 303 Line

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

The Jackass Offense: Pinning Down the 303 Line

Post by mattgslater »

In a recent thread, I posted about how to use one Frenzy player to surf a defender off a 303 defensive line (one where the defenders are placed two squares apart, one in the middle of the line and one on each wide zone). But what if you don't have a Frenzy player, or don't care to expose him?

On offense, your job is threefold:
1) Make a good screen that prevents defenders from getting past scrimmage (or forces them to go way around the backside of the play, at a minimum).
2) Knock down as many defenders as possible (usually meaning the D-line and one extra hit from the blitz).
3) Secure the ball.

To that effect, here's one offense you might consider, when faced with what I call the "303 Boat" defense.

The boat (AKA "rule of five") defense uses a screen of three players in the backfield, in the L3, 0, and R3 columns, to protect five players in a row behind them, in the L2, L1, 0, R1, and R2 columns. The "303" part refers to the line, which is spread out in a similar pattern.

Code: Select all

The 303 Boat Defense
- - - -|X - - X - - X|- - - -
- - - -|- - - - - - -|- - - -
- - - -|X - - X - - X|- - - -
- - - -|- X X X X X -|- - - -
So here's how to set up to thwart it. A-K are your players, N-Z are enemy players.

- - - A|B - C D E - F|G - - -
- - - -|X - - Y - - Z|- - - -
- - - -|U - - V - - W|- - - -
- - - -|- N N N N N -|- - - -
This is a 7-player line. A, C, E, and G will be making the first hits, so you want to use Block players there if possible (alternately, say if you run Undead, you might put ST5 players in at C or E. You have a few options with the remaining 4 players. You could put two more on the outside of the line to thwart Blitz! results, or you could make a 303 screen behind the line if you're concerned about Leapers. Obviously, somebody needs to be back to get the ball, and you might want to keep a man free in the 0 column not far behind scrimmage, either to blitz with, or to run up an assist. If B, C, E, or F has Guard, it's even better.

First, A blocks X, pushing laterally (aim for pows, of course). Follow on a pow, or if you push and B needs an assist, but not if B can get 2d on a secondary block. Then do the same thing with G blocking Z.

Then either C or E blocks Y. Which one depends on the way the situation lies. Push laterally, so you pin down the defenders.

Then if necessary, make the secondary block with B and/or F. You can do this earlier in the turn (before C/E) if they have Block; B and F's blocks can be very revealing.

So, now, the pitch should look something like this, with lowercase characters indicating downed defenders:

- - - -|B - - D E - F|- - - -
- - - -|A x - C y z G|- - - -
or maybe like this

- - - -|- - - D E - -|- - - -
- - - -|A B - C y F G|- - - -
- - - -|- x - - - z -|- - - -
or this

- - - -|B - - D - - -|- - - -
- - - -|A x - C E F G|- - - -
- - - -|- - - - y z -|- - - -
or something similar.

At best, the defensive line is knocked down and locked in place, and you still have the manpower to blitz and screen off the pitch. (In fact, your blockers are part of that screen, positioned neatly in the L3, 0, and R3 columns after following up). If that doesn't work, you get a second bite at each defender, increasing your knockdown odds considerably. If you get a push on the second block, just push 'em away and don't follow. Feel free to sigh as you do so.

Won't win you the game on turn 1, unless you roll a bunch of Casualties. But it will give you maximum advantage against one of the more common defensive lines.

WDYT? Anyone got a better play they wanna put up? Keep in mind this only uses 7 players, so you have plenty of manpower that's not depicted.

Reason: ''
What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Re: The Jackass Offense: Pinning Down the 303 Line

Post by dode74 »

Is 303 that common even with a Ro5 defence? 101 and sometimes 202 I see, but hardly ever a 303, possibly because of the very vulnerabilities you are mentioning here.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

It's pretty common on FUMBBL. Elves and other speed teams really like it, 'cuz if you screw up and block inside-out rather than outside-in (many coaches do), it allows the defense more pitch control.

Next column is going to be on beating the 101.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

The reason you can rather easily get secondary blocks is why I don't opt for 303. As the offence can also easily lock these players in and restrict their access to the sideline.

What I have experienced vs good Bashy coaches, who play against my DE, is that they will lock in the defensive line, which effectively locks three of my players down and they don't really suffer because they can use those 7-ish players as the front of their cage.

So typically you don't even want to put this linemen on their feet as they will only receive more punishment as they are unable to dodge away. At the end of your turn you might try a desperate dodge.

So yeah, I don't see how you can do more harm to this 303 defensive line that you already showed here. Only that you should follow up with a blitz on the screen downfield. This blitz should be aimed so that the linemen can't escape without a difficult dodge.

**OFF TOPIC**
I believe that the best way to put a defensive line, if you have more speed and agility than your opponent is to go with a asymmetric set-up. This forces the offence to either expose itself on a flank or to forgo some blocks on the defensive line.

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I used to run a lot of 321 boat defense. Sometimes I'd shift the boat one or two squares to the right, so the backfield 303 screen becomes a L1,R2,R5. Now I only do it against slow teams, to get the big heavies all loaded to one side and ensure that my D-line finds itself on the play-side. Especially if I have kick.

I'd really like to hear from an elf expert on this, though. Joemanji, PeteW, kfoged. What works for Humans might not work well for elves.

For all its faults, I think the 101 is the way to go unless you're playing an amateur. Yes, if the opponent blocks from the wrong angle it can free up a player, but a smart opponent will drive the line either into the midfield, or onto the backside, to be locked out of the play.

Should I have included the blitz in the diagram?