The Jackass Offense: Turn 1 Surf on a 303 Line

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

The Jackass Offense: Turn 1 Surf on a 303 Line

Post by mattgslater »

I developed this on FUMBBL.

Quick Terminological Note: for notating the width of the pitch, I designate each column (row on the FUMBBL pitch, which is sideways from this perspective) from L7 to R7, with 0 in the center. The Wide Zone Marker is between columns 3 and 4 on either side.

Generally, most opponents set up one of four three-man defensive lines: 101, 303, 202, and 123/321.

Code: Select all

101 line
- - - -|- - X X X - -|- - - -

202 line
- - - -|- X - X - X -|- - - -

303 line
- - - -|X - - X - - X|- - - -

321 line
- - - -|X X X - - - -|- - - -
I'm going to show you how to punish your opponent for playing a 303 line, using one player with Frenzy.

So the enemy sets up a 303 "boat" or "rule of 5" defense.

- - - -|- - - - - - -|- - - -
- - - -|- X X X X X -|- - - -
You've seen that lots of times, right? Nice and conservative, gives you some control on both sides of the pitch, makes the opponent commit a lot of men to the line. Common defense, and not a bad one.

So you set up like this: #7 is your Frenzy player. It helps if #1, #3, #5, and/or #9 is ST4, so you can blitz without an assist, 'cuz this tactic eats manpower. Mighty Blow on #2 and #4 is nice to have too. But that's all not necessary. Just the one Frenzy and equal ST on the line.

- - - -|- - - - - - -|- - 9 -
- - 1 2|3 - 4 5 - 6 7|- 8 - -
- - - -|- X X X X X -|- - - -
leaving you 2 players to play the ball (not pictured). If your opponent has no Frenzy, you can move #1 one square outside (to the offense's right, the reader's left on the diagram).

First, block with #2 and #4, going for pow like normal. If #2 pushes, he follows so 3 gets a bite at the apple (unless 3 is ST4 or 4 has Guard). If #4 pushes, ditto, with 5 getting the follow-up block. #2 blocks should do it. If not, c'est la vie, just push 'em away. Likewise if the ball is on the reader's left (offense's right), you might take a push and push away so #3 and/or #5 can reposition. But usually go for the second block.

Then, block with #6, using #7's assist. Push sideways and don't follow. If you get a pow so be it, take it or don't. Pushes are at least as good, though, as they let you put your plan into action.

If you push with #6, block with #7, taking pushes over pows if you feel nasty. Frenzy block him laterally, then upfield with the second block (into your half).

#1 can move at any time from here out, either blitzing the backside (the reader's left) or moving to cover #6. Likewise, you can move one guy up from the backfield to cover #6, and prevent a hole from opening. Or he can stay where he is to cover the back side of the play.

From here, if #10 (let's call him 0) moves up and #1 doesn't move, the LOS looks like this.

- - - -|- - - - - - -|- - 9 -
- - 1 -|3 - - 5 - 6 -|- 8 X -
- - - -|2 X - 4 X - 0|- 7 - -
#8 then blocks, aiming for the push, pushing him so that #9 can make the surf. Follow if #9 needs the assist.

I've done this a few times successfully, and I don't play a lot of Frenzy. Here are two that I could easily find. When it "doesn't work" it still levels the defensive line and presents a solid line of scrimmage.

Humans vs Amazons
Orcs vs Pro Elves.

Oh, and don't get cute. If you have to RR, take the Pow.

Reason: ''
What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: The Jackass Offense: Turn 1 Surf on a 303 Line

Post by El_Jairo »

Nicely spotted Matt.
Sadly I don't face that many 303 LoS when I have Frenzy on my team. And it does leave your Frenzy player a little 'in the open' unless you choose to blitz with him. Which I would prefer, so he can mover behind the screen of #1 or #0.

Most of the time when I do see 303 is when they put ST4 BoB or the likes on the LoS Vs elves and other teams lacking strength.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Agility teams like to do 303 boat defenses on FUMBBL all the time.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

Good to know that :)
That makes the extra argument for Frenzy and it makes me wonder if I should opt for the 303 defence myself with my DE... :roll:

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

El_Jairo wrote:Good to know that :)
That makes the extra argument for Frenzy and it makes me wonder if I should opt for the 303 defence myself with my DE... :roll:
Just 'cuz everybody does it on FUMBBL, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

What do you all do with your defensive line? Any 303 coaches out there? I'm not one, so I can't rightly say why they do it.

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

As far as I can recall, I lined up 303 on one occasion (and very recently, but before this article, at that).
On that occasion, I had a player surfed with the use of frenzy. I could see it was going to occur after the first block, but it hadn't even crossed my mind as I made my defensive placements...

I'd usually go 101, for the fact of tying up as many players in one spot as possible.

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

I tried this with my 10 frenzy Norse team on Cyanide. I wanted to get both sides off at once.

Sadly, I kept rolling pows...