Do I keep fouling the vampire lord?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Do I keep fouling the vampire lord?

Post by martynq »

I'm in the middle of a PBEM game and a tactic has just crossed my mind which I thought I'd check out with experts. I'm coaching a dark elf team against a vampire side (featuring Cervidal's version of OFAB).

I've managed to knock over the vampire lord, so decided to foul him since he is by far the most powerful player on the opposing team. Unfortunately I only rolled a stun result, so he'll be back. The question is whether I should keep fouling him in subsequent turns until I get him off the pitch (ideally permanently) - while the ref's eye will be on me. On the one hand he has Regenerate, so could easily be back anyway, while on the other at least if he is gone for a while then the opposing coach will have to rely more on the other vampires, who then have a decent chance of taking out the thralls. (COFAB means that if they fail a 2+ die roll then they injure one of the thralls on the pitch.)

The other point is that I only have 11 elves to call on since the Lord has already SI'd one elf... plus he is wielding a stiletto (counts as RSC).

Any thoughts?

Martyn

Reason: ''
Dark Elf Blitzer 8/3/4/8 Block, Dodge, MA+1, Shadowing, Side Step, Tackle
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Sounds like it could be him or you. ST 5, AG 4, RSC, HGaze. I'd probably risk the 50% boot a turn.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Don't forget to argue the call, if ejected ... speed button ... top right.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Never, ever foul a vamp lord. In fact keep sticking your weakest players in front of him for him to munch on :lol:

OK, I admit it, I've a vamp team to!

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
los_locos
Veteran
Veteran

Post by los_locos »

Just foul him get him out of the game or lett him stay on the ground for like the entire drive :D :D !!!!!!!!! hope you're lucky with the ref!!!

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

I was hoping to see more comments, but I guess Galak's was enough. I guess my concern is that whenever I have fouled I tend to roll really badly on the INJ roll (usually always result in stun) and worse on the ref roll (sent off far more often than 1 in 6 on the first roll in my experience).

Assuming I do foul in my next turn, who shall I use? My team has the following players on the pitch at the moment:

Blitzer (NoS + Dodge)
Blitzer (Leap)
Thower
Kicker (like a Thrower, but has Kick instead of Pass)
Lineman (Block/Dodge)
Lineman (Leader)
Lineman (Block)
Lineman (Dodge)
Lineman (Guard)
Witch Elf (Block)

I guess the question is which player is most expendable? My guess is it's probably the lineman with Dodge - though if I were to fail to take out the Lord I may never need to kick off again, so perhaps the Kicker should take the ref's rap.

Martyn

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Foul him, he'd do the same to you.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Use the kicker first.

Galak

Sputnik
Loretta

Post by Sputnik »

use the thrower after your kicker is finished off, pass won't help you without the ball, dodge is more valuable! :o

Good luck putting the boot in! :-? :pissed: :evil:

Sputnik

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Well, I would be less keen to stick the boot in than some. You don't have the bench strength. I would only do it if you have a very good chance of breaking armour... otherwise the chance of getting the Lord off the pitch are much less than being sent off.

Now if you had lots of cheap skeletons......

Dave

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

Ow, Dave you've gone and confused the issue. You have, of course, pointed out exactly the problem. Even if I break armour, it's much more likely that I'll get a player sent off than the vampire lord will be removed. It's one of these annoying situations (that PBEM seems to accentuate) where you'd love to know the dice roll before you attempt it.

Now if only the other vampires would fail some Bloodthirst rolls!

Martyn

Mr. Sanity
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mr. Sanity »

Who the hell let a Lord have acccess to a Stiletto??? That's one of the sickest things I've heard in a while. Give him the boot every turn until he's off the pitch. If your guys get sent off, at least they can't get stabbed by the SOB. Really, which is worse, being sent off, or recieving a niggled player?

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

You don't have a Dirty Player, the odds just aren't in it. I'd just roll with it; he's going to cause you trouble but it'll be worse if he ends up being responsible for 3 more players being sent off without even having to block them.

Take advantage of the turn he's down to screen him off from the rest of the play. His Hyp Gaze isn't all that against AG4.

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

It all became academic anyway - I managed to roll a 1, and then re-roll a 1 with a Leap attempt in the next turn, so never got the chance to foul again.

The Lord then stood up and BH my Leader elf. :(

Martyn