Simyin/Apes Team Guide

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Shushnik
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Simyin/Apes Team Guide

Post by Shushnik »

pauli42 wrote:
Shushnik wrote:Amazons have 0 players with more than 7AV. Norse have 3.

Apes potentially have 7.
Absolut right, but all Amazons have at least dodge and the AV7 Norse have block.

But i think you are right and 13-14 Apes are fine!

I definitely agree that 14 is a good idea before you get some skills. But when your chimps get their first skill it's pretty much going to be dodge, and the gorillas too. Although a bit less automatic for them. At that point, I think your need for the extra bonobos decreases to the point that cutting one to limit your TV is a good idea. Particularly if you get some block on the bonobos and throrangutans.

Reason: ''
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Played my first tabletop game with apes this morning, having done a league season with them on fumbbl. Absolutely loved using the figures, there's a real planet of the apes swarming feel to them, brilliant stuff.

No idea if I'll win any games for a while though...

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Thanks to everyone trying out the Simyin! :)

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
TheAzman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TheAzman »

SunDevil wrote:Thanks to everyone trying out the Simyin! :)

A leagu-mate of mine is running a Simyin team in our league (BABBL). After a rough season one, (bad dice, unlucky casualties/deaths, you name it ) he's had a pretty decent run in season two and is in second place. I may fancy a try at them once I obtain a team from Impact! Miniatures. :D

Winning... it beats losing.
pauli42
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pauli42 »

TheAzman wrote:
SunDevil wrote:Thanks to everyone trying out the Simyin! :)

A leagu-mate of mine is running a Simyin team in our league (BABBL). After a rough season one, (bad dice, unlucky casualties/deaths, you name it ) he's had a pretty decent run in season two and is in second place. I may fancy a try at them once I obtain a team from Impact! Miniatures. :D
Nice..maybe you can drag him here to share his experience!

pauli42
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pauli42 »

*update*

After an unlucky and horrible 0-3 loss against Chaos Dwarfs (lots of early turnovers, interceptions with his bulls, ball throw-ins directly to my end zone, a dead runner etc.) i managed a 1-0 win against Slaan. This time i got lucky in some situations but in the end my stronger apes overcomes his frogs in a nice brawl.

In both games the ST4 Blodge Gorillas works fine and everyone wants to kill Koko (ST4 Block) and i use him as a decoy atm to move 2-3 players to the other side of the pitch.

I faced a problem with the missing tackle on my team and i am not sure what is the best way to fix it!?
Tackle is the second skill on my runners and line apes but it takes a lot of games to get it and playing Orge, Slann, Goblins without any Tackle is not fun at all. But an ape with AV7 needs Block or Dodge (on the runner) more...

So what is a good solution for the missing Tackle problem? And on the runner i am still not sure, if i want wrestle, dodge, tackle or wrestle, dodge, frenzy??

fromherashes
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fromherashes »

I've just started a Simyin team in our format, a perpetual series of progression monthly events, and have two games under my belt.

The results were:

2-1 loss to Zons. Really struggled against spammed Blodge. I nearly scraped a draw but lack of a re-roll due to some typically unnecessary re-rolling of push backs (something I need to get over) meant I crapped out on a risky play.

1-0 win over Dwarfs. Feel I'd learnt from the first game and managed to stop the Dwarfs from scoring by minimising their already minimal movement down the pitch and jamming up their cage. Second half I stalled long enough to score turn 6 leaving them no time to reply.

Annoyed that I still haven't skilled anyone up (I have about 4 players close to a first skill) but I think I can see the benefit of the Simyin style of play and mass extra arms and grab on the Gorillas really adds a nice different dimension to gameplay. Love the fact that Gorillas can be legit ball carriers. The chimps were pretty useful as ball hunters but I can see them having a fairly short lifespan (like Witch Elves) due to AV7.

Definitely got a bit of a Lizardman vibe going on here and they have a good chance of being fairly competitive around the 1400TV area once there's some dodge and block through the team.

Enjoyed so far, my usual game switches between Dark Elves and Necro (with the odd foray as Orcs), so it was nice to play something a bit different.

Shushnik
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Shushnik »

One of the beautiful things about extra arms all over the place is SPP farming isn't that hard. Any player that gets an MVP should immediately receive the kickoff in the next game and make a pass. Throw garbage passes near every turn you can so that you can get 1 SPP on everybody and then if they get the MVP they skill up immediately.

pauli42
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pauli42 »

I faced a problem with the missing tackle on my team and i am not sure what is the best way to fix it!?
Tackle is the second skill on my runners and line apes but it takes a lot of games to get it and playing Orge, Slann, Goblins without any Tackle is not fun at all. But an ape with AV7 needs Block or Dodge (on the runner) more...

So what is a good solution for the missing Tackle problem?
And on the runner i am still not sure, if i want take wrestle, dodge, tackle or wrestle, dodge, frenzy??

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Loving the reports, keep 'em coming!

In my opinion, you are prioritizing Tackle correctly. Both Chimps get it and probably a Bonobo as well. For me, Chimps get Dodge, then Tackle. I save Frenzy for a Bonobo after some Gorillas get Guard. Occasionally (or often) Chimps need to grab the ball and run. Frenzy makes it harder for them to escape defenses through blitzing, when Wrestle already makes it tricky. Third skills for them could include -

- Jump Up (pairs with Wrestle and helps them cover the entire pitch in their 'safety' or 'sweeper' role)
- Sure Feet (really helps them cover the pitch)
- Side Step/Diving Tackle as a combo (I prefer SS first, you may not)
- Strip Ball (I do not like this skill, some do)

- and don't forget, BLOCK is an option. Some coaches think it redundant but I say OPTIONS are good!

Something to keep in mind for anyone checking this for Simyin tips - getting Block easily on your gorillas is not normally a thing that happens. You will likely need to rethink how you play these 4ST players with their SA access. :)

Carry on!

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
fromherashes
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fromherashes »

SunDevil wrote:Loving the reports, keep 'em coming!

In my opinion, you are prioritizing Tackle correctly. Both Chimps get it and probably a Bonobo as well. For me, Chimps get Dodge, then Tackle. I save Frenzy for a Bonobo after some Gorillas get Guard. Occasionally (or often) Chimps need to grab the ball and run. Frenzy makes it harder for them to escape defenses through blitzing, when Wrestle already makes it tricky. Third skills for them could include -

- Jump Up (pairs with Wrestle and helps them cover the entire pitch in their 'safety' or 'sweeper' role)
- Sure Feet (really helps them cover the pitch)
- Side Step/Diving Tackle as a combo (I prefer SS first, you may not)
- Strip Ball (I do not like this skill, some do)

- and don't forget, BLOCK is an option. Some coaches think it redundant but I say OPTIONS are good!

Something to keep in mind for anyone checking this for Simyin tips - getting Block easily on your gorillas is not normally a thing that happens. You will likely need to rethink how you play these 4ST players with their SA access. :)

Carry on!
Yeah, the Gorilla skill access is a cool quirk. I'd assume first skill should be dodge to help keep them on their feet? Then I'd go guard, probably mighty blow after that.

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

fromherashes wrote:Yeah, the Gorilla skill access is a cool quirk. I'd assume first skill should be dodge to help keep them on their feet? Then I'd go guard, probably mighty blow after that.
That sounds right for the Gorillas. Dodge, Guard, Mighty Blow is a fine progression but I'd say keep Break Tackle in mind for skill #3. Then your 4ST players are dodging out of contact for 2+ with a reroll to move their Guard where you want it. Then, when they do throw blocks, you have mass Grab to shift opponents around. You get this feeling of getting to move where you want while also getting to move your opponents where you want. :)

Dodge, Guard, Side Step is also fun. :)

For those thinking of the obvious Pile On/Jump Up access, I'd avoid the temptation. I tried it and the 2AG hurt. But the real problem is the Simyin are a positional team and you need your Gorillas standing, not lying around in the sun. :)

pauli42
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pauli42 »

Thank you SunDevil, fromherashes and Shushnik for the awesome input..i added your skills ideas!

And yes i think wrestle, tackle and strip ball is a overkill..so wrestle + tackle should do the trick getting the ball free. And there is Furios George for 170k (7,3,3,7 Catch, Dodge, Extra Arms, Pass Block, Strip Ball, Wrestle)

pauli42
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pauli42 »

So..tomorrow is a tough match for my apes against this goblin team Crusty Crabs and everything can happend..the coach and his team are unpredictable and his fanatic is a monster.. I have 190k inducements and i need a win to have a small chance for the playoffs. I think i will hire Furios George 170k (7,3,3,7 Catch, Dodge, Extra Arms, Pass Block, Strip Ball, Wrestle) or do your have any other idea?

I'll miss tackle so much :roll: :|

Shushnik
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Shushnik »

Yup. If you can afford George always take him. Might be particularly important against a bombardier.