double 6's on a dwarf runner

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Re: double 6's on a dwarf runner

Post by Aliboon »

Rolo, how often are dwarf Runners isolated with a marker behind them? Any player behind them would generally be dealt with by the cage they were in. If the worst came to the worst in the imaginary scenario you are describing it would generally just be a 3+ dodge to get away rather than having to blitz...

Of course it can happen, but if a dwarf Runner has to go out on his own to get the score, then the drive has gone drastically wrong.

Play styles do vary, but there aren't many successful dwarf teams who play anything but the cage and grind!

Reason: ''
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Even with Cage and Grind, ball carriers get tagged all the time. "Black Orc blitzes the back cage corner", follows up, he's in contact. Rest of the cage gets tagged up. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with Dwarves, but I see that kind of situation a lot, especially on turn 8 or turn 16. "Ball carrier blitzes off his marker, runs in the score" is a high percentage play. "Someone else could blitz the ball carrier free!", well, someone else isn't always available and mobile. Its a specific scenario but not an uncommon one. Frenzy can get you in trouble there, "Literally any skill you could take other than Frenzy" does not.

So if we're choosing between Frenzy and Tackle, we're talking about defense. Yeah, you have both skills on the starting roster. But the Frenzy players are MA5 and often free to move. The Tackle players are MA4 and very often start in Tackle zones. "But you have so many Tacklers!". Just personal experience here, again maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've rarely had trouble freeing up a slayer when I needed one, and often had trouble getting a Blocker in the right place at the right time. It's the same reason why Tackle is a popular skill for Dwarf Blitzers. Coaches who haven't played Dwarves much laugh at that, coaches who have just nod. Because the extra movement really does make a difference, as well as the extra agility.

Maybe it depends on the rest of the team ... Do the Blitzers already have Tackle? That might be enough. What else would help on Defense? Strip Ball? Kick?

But even if you're all set with mobile Tacklers (and a ST4, MA6 mobile tackler is so much better), I'd be wary of getting Frenzy. I like Frenzy, just not on my ball carrier. Fend is underrated and saves you dodges (You're right, Dwarf ball carriers tend to not get hit all that much, but it does happen). Pass opens up options for when things break down, as does Hail Mary Pass (which is definitely not the optimal choice, but you'll laugh so hard when it works).

Anyway, let us know what you take and how it works out! If you take Frenzy and it ends up being awesome, make sure to post about me being wrong! Won't be the first time and surely won't be the last :lol:

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

I'd agree that Tackle is a good skill for a Blitzer, after MB and maybe Guard, there isn't much else to go for, but whilst your cage situation may well come up a fair bit and it is better to blitz off the BOB, it would still most likely be a 3+ dodge if you didn't want to risk the Frenzy blocks, with a reroll that's pretty reliable.

If the opo plays a 2-man deep defense circling the cage then Frenzy is a great skill to have as you'll likely only need to dodge once after the two blocks - otherwise it is likely to be at least one 4+ dodge followed by a 3+.

Depends on how your opos defend I suppose.

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Surely you have 2 runners? This one is on it's way to become a glorified blitzer :).

Frenzy gives you options.

CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

In general, I love Frenzy, but putting it on your ball carrier is questionable. Another consideration, is the 4 ST runner the ball carrier?
As an example. I have a 5 ST Blodge Chaos Warrior. I have hard times against a particular Wood Elf coach. Getting ready for a playoff match, I gave that CW Sure Hands. I always regret him carrying the ball because that is so much scrum power that I am trying to keep out of the scrum. +ST is great on your ball carrier, but is it worth the TV to put it in the cage? For me there is temptation to suggest Frenzy on the Runner and say he just isn't the primary ball carrier. If you are tied to your 4 ST ball carrier, then enhance his ball carrier abilities and give him Kick-off Return.