Leap - Counting Squares

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Robotorz
Star Player
Star Player

Leap - Counting Squares

Post by Robotorz »

My english is not that good and I dont seem to get it Right. I searched with the Engine and could not find a Topic fiting so I ask you (and apologise if I over looked something)

Leap costs 2 Squares. Do you add the squares he moves? If he leaps 1 Square is it 3 or 2 Points of MA being used? And if he leaps 2 Squares how many MA used then?
Thank you in Advance

Reason: ''
I hope you all enjoyed the crispy version of me.
Gattolardo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gattolardo »

XXBX
XXAX
XX1X

Suppose player 1 wants to leap over square A to square B, the total MA used after he made the agility roll to land in B would be 2 :)

Please note that the cost refers to NORMAL movement, so no Go For It to leap

Cheers
Rob

Agentrock
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Agentrock »

LRB, p35:
A player with the Leap skill is allowed to jump over an
adjacent square, even if it is occupied by a knocked over or
standing player from either team. Making a leap costs the
player two squares of his normal movement.
Note that a player can only leap once per turn...and the leap only 'goes over' 1 square...and that square can be empty, have a prone player, or a standing player. Think of Leap allowing the player to move 2 squares without having to make a dodge basically.

So, if your leaping player has 6 MA and he moves two squares, then leaps...he has used 4 of his MA leaving him with 2 MA after the leap.

Does that make sense?

The end-zone “line of death” does not discriminate when one tempts fate by using a “go for it” to pass over it.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Gattolardo wrote:Please note that the cost refers to NORMAL movement, so no Go For It to leap
In the LRB 2.0 list of clarifications
Q: Can you go for it to Leap?

A: Yes. Place the player in the square targeted by the Leap and then make the go for it roll (or "rolls," if you need two of them to perform the leap). If you fail a go for it roll, knock the player down in the new square, just like you would on any normal go for it roll. The opposing coach may make an armour roll as usual.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Robotorz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Robotorz »

Ok So if a player leaps the squares he can move are not changed.

For Example:

Code: Select all

A player running from Square A to C uses 5 Points of Movement Allowance
and A player Leaping From A to B and then Continious to run to C uses 5 too?
X is a empty Square
A is Starting Square
B is Square that Player would jump too
C is the Square he should arrive

0 1 2 3 4 5
A X B X X C
is this Right[/b][/code]

The Problem is that we counted jumping as 2 Points of MA used + the Squares you actualy travel, and I think thats wrong and thats why I asked. But if you only Jump 1 Square then you "loose" 1 Point of movment, thats righ then too?

I hope you all enjoyed the crispy version of me.
Redfang
Legend
Legend
Location: With the wife, watching Zara and the Hasslefree chick from behind their bedroom curtain...

Post by Redfang »

Indeed both ways of moving use the same amount of squares!

R

Ik wou dat ik twee blondjes was,
Dan kon ik samen spelen.

[size=67][url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334]Bragging[/url][/size]

What keeps me busy nowadays: [url=http://www.bruchius.com/]Fun with violence.[/url]
Gattolardo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gattolardo »

ianwilliams wrote:
Gattolardo wrote:Please note that the cost refers to NORMAL movement, so no Go For It to leap
In the LRB 2.0 list of clarifications
Q: Can you go for it to Leap?

A: Yes. Place the player in the square targeted by the Leap and then make the go for it roll (or "rolls," if you need two of them to perform the leap). If you fail a go for it roll, knock the player down in the new square, just like you would on any normal go for it roll. The opposing coach may make an armour roll as usual.

ops.. :o
didn't remember that one :cry:

Must be getting old and senile..... :cry:

Archamedius
Rookie
Rookie

On a related note with leap...

Post by Archamedius »

What square must you land in when you leap? I.E. must you leap in a straight line, or can you treat it like moving?

Example:

A B C
X Y X
X Z X

A player starting at Z wishes to leap over square Y. Must he land in square B or can you treat it as moving (because if you had moved to square Y your would be allowed to move to any square A, B or C) thus allowing you to land in any adjacent square? The reason I ask is because a wood elf player in my league is doing it and I don't think it's right, but cannot find anything to dispute it. Thanks for the advice!

Arch

- Pain is temporary, Knowledge is forever.
Agentrock
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Agentrock »

In the LRB, pg 35: "In order to make the leap, move the player to any empty square adjacent to the square that they are jumping over, and then make an Agility roll for the player."

I see what you mean and how it could be interpretted that way. In our league we play it that you leap into the square directly across from the square you are leaping from (so in your example Z would leap only to B).

The rules treat adjacent squares as any square (including diagonals). So with that rationale, would one be allowed to leap from Z to D or Z to E?
A B C
X Y D
X Z E
Both of those options are adjacent to the square you are leaping over. Maybe the rules for leap need to be cleaned up a bit? :?:

The end-zone “line of death” does not discriminate when one tempts fate by using a “go for it” to pass over it.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I think the rules are sufficently vague that you can leap to any square adjacent to the square you lept over.

ABC
DXE
FGI
So leaping from any of A-I over X would allow you to land at any of A-I. You can even leap back into your own square (if show boating).

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Agentrock
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Agentrock »

In Ian's example, I can see a player leaping from A to B or D due to not wanting to make a dodge roll to those spots for some reason...but it still sounds weird to me.

Archamedius
Rookie
Rookie

More Leaping....

Post by Archamedius »

See to me at that point it makes that Wood Elf Catcher with Leap broken. Gee let me think I can afford to take an extra movement point hit to leap down a line or through a group of players rather than having to dodge! So basically you can negate a group of players around you by leaping instead of dodging! What fun!

Arch

- Pain is temporary, Knowledge is forever.
Agentrock
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Agentrock »

True...it is straight AG roll (no +1 that a dodge would grant). But keep in mind that you can only Leap once per turn...

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

..X..
Just to make this perfectly clear as to the rules. A player X using leap can land in ANY of the squares with a . provided no player is in it.

This doesn't make Leap broken at all and I have yet to see any reason why this skill is abusive.

Galak

Agentrock
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Agentrock »

That makes sense...thanks for the clarification!