Foul Appearance and Dump Off

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Re: Foul Appearance and Dump Off

Post by dode74 »

Answer the question please.

Reason: ''
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Within the Black and White rules you cannot disengage the declaration from the want.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

No, I didn't decide only when I said it, does that help you?

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Are you going to accuse me of cheating again, which rule did I break?

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

The decision *must* come before the sound leaves your mouth - at the very least there must be time for the impulses from your brain to reach the mouth muscles in order to make the statement. Even that much delay between wanting to do it and declaring that you "will" means the want comes before the declaration.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

I mean, anyone can see what is happening here: you're desperately trying to find a semantic argument which supports your interpretation while at the same time saying I'm making a semantic argument and trying to dismiss it as one! Even if you do find one (and there may well be one) all it does is establish doubt rather than clarity as to the intent of the interaction - at best you could argue it is one or the other through such a position, since if your semantic argument is valid through equivocation then so is mine.

Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

dode74 wrote:Either meaning of the word "will" works: you establish the want to do something before you declare you will (either meaning) do it.
It is the Player, not the Coach that 'Wants' in the skill description of Foul Appearance. That very coach has declared his future intention to Block, the Will, before the player gets involved.

Are you honestly telling me that the Player Wants to throw a block, he rolls FA, and then if successful the PLAYER declares to the defending player that he now Will make the block?

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Thought you only cared about the rules? sounds like you are delving into any manner of sciences now; physiology, neurology, psychology.

In the context of the rules you cannot disengage the Declaration from the Want. As I said before I can see your point and can 100% see how GW could FAQ FA before DO but as the rules stand you don't have the leverage to say FA must be done before DO, maybe agree with your opponent beforehand if you come to this situation in the real world.

I think we have happily pushed this as far as it will go. As you point out any external observer can read and digest our points at leisure.

Fair warning - I'm going to lock this before someone says anything they will regret. If you want to leave a final comment Dode do it in the next hour or so

BillyDee
Star Player
Star Player
Location: Sitting in front of a mountain of lead, that ain't gonna paint itself...

Post by BillyDee »

*Picks up big wooden spoon*
Your FA guy is stood one square from the end zone on turn 16, the game is 1-1. None of my guys are within blitz range. I "want" to block him, but I can't. Am I still rolling dice for FA..?

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, and everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

BillyDee wrote:*Picks up big wooden spoon*
Your FA guy is stood one square from the end zone on turn 16, the game is 1-1. None of my guys are within blitz range. I "want" to block him, but I can't. Am I still rolling dice for FA..?
You're too late Itchen said something like this about 3 pages ago

BillyDee
Star Player
Star Player
Location: Sitting in front of a mountain of lead, that ain't gonna paint itself...

Post by BillyDee »

*Puts big wooden spoon away*

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, and everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Itchen Masack wrote:It is the Player, not the Coach that 'Wants' in the skill description of Foul Appearance. That very coach has declared his future intention to Block, the Will, before the player gets involved.

Are you honestly telling me that the Player Wants to throw a block, he rolls FA, and then if successful the PLAYER declares to the defending player that he now Will make the block?
I think it is also the player who is referenced in DO, despite your incredulity.
This skill allows the player to make a Quick Pass when an opponent declares that he will throw a block at him...
The target is the player, not the coach, since it is the player being blocked. That means the subject of the sentence is the player, and since we know it is not the coach throwing the block but an opposing player then "opponent" references that player.
Loki wrote:Thought you only cared about the rules? sounds like you are delving into any manner of sciences now; physiology, neurology, psychology.
I don't think I said I *only* care about what the rulebook says. And if it is necessary to utilise other disciplines to determine what is actually going on then that is sound practice.
In the context of the rules you cannot disengage the Declaration from the Want.
And yet I have, because your "want" happens before your declaration. Because science.
As I said before I can see your point and can 100% see how GW could FAQ FA before DO but as the rules stand you don't have the leverage to say FA must be done before DO, maybe agree with your opponent beforehand if you come to this situation in the real world.
And you have no leverage to say DO before FA. Sure, I'd discuss it beforehand if anyone ever takes FA and DO on the same player, but I think we've established that *at best* it is ambiguous.
BillyDee wrote:*Picks up big wooden spoon*
If you want, assuming you've declared a Block Action or a Blitz Action first. Seems like a waste of time, though, as it will change nothing since you can't actually block whether you pass or fail.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Anyway, thank you for indulging me. No hard feelings I hope and I think it stayed fairly calm throughout. Not sure why you're locking, but ok.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

No reason for it to be locked, so unlocked.

You could ask someone that still has access to the PBeM tool to try it out, as Tom did all the programming for that - I would try it, but I don't seem to have the tool anymore (not sure why!).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

dode74 wrote:
This skill allows the player to make a Quick Pass when an opponent declares that he will throw a block at him...
The target is the player, not the coach, since it is the player being blocked. That means the subject of the sentence is the player, and since we know it is not the coach throwing the block but an opposing player then "opponent" references that player.
Loki wrote: In the context of the rules you cannot disengage the Declaration from the Want.
And yet I have, because your "want" happens before your declaration. Because science.
I like this :) As Coach my input into the game is a lot less than i thought.

1. As Coach I declare a Block Action for Player A
2. Time to sit back, my work here is done.
3. Player A decides that he Wants to block player X (skilled with FA & DO) so rolls his 2+ FA check
4. Player A then quite politely, and somewhat surprisingly, tells player X that he Will now block him triggering Dump Off choice.