Gaining a Sponsor, One-Time, Ongoing & Major Sponsorships

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

ssb

Gaining a Sponsor, One-Time, Ongoing & Major Sponsorships

Post by ssb »

Hello,

Some question arose around these subjects...

First, the rules...
GAINING A SPONSOR wrote:Teams can attempt to find a Sponsor during the Post-match sequence at the end of Phase 3: Record Fortune and Fame. If the coach wishes to seek a Sponsor, they roll a D16, then add their Fan Factor and any of the following modifiers that apply:

+2 if the team owns a stadium (see page 37)

+2 if they won the game, or +3 if they scored at least two more touchdowns than their opponent.

+2 if the other team suffered at least three casualties (however they were inflicted) or +3 if they suffered at least five casualties.

+3 if the game was part of the play-offs, or +5 if it was the final.

If the result is 20 or more, the coach can accept either a One-time Sponsorship or an Ongoing Sponsorship. If the result is 25 or more, they can instead accept a Major Sponsorship.
1) When you roll a 20+ or 25+ can you refuse to take a Minor Sponsorship ? Or a Major Sponsoship ? Or Any Sponsorship (in the 25+ case) ? (Just roll out of curiosity...)

2) When you roll 25+ : Can you take a One-time Sponsorshop or Ongoing Sponsorship instead ?
ONE-TIME SPONSORSHIPS wrote:The team lends its image to a well-known brand, appearing in some Cabalvision ads or making personal appearances at high-profile product launches, in exchange for a one-off payment. All the players have to do is behave themselves. Easy, right?

The team receives D6 x 10,000 gold pieces. Then, roll a second D6. If the result is a 1, a random player on the team (not a rostered Star Player) must miss the next match, either because they get in trouble with the Sponsor and have to go into hiding, or because they get a little carried away with the free drinks at an event and have to spend some time recovering
ONGOING SPONSORSHIPS wrote:The team becomes official ambassadors for the brand, receiving a sum of gold each time they make a public appearance. Of course, this burdens the team with all sorts of new responsibilities and is even riskier than a One-time Sponsorship deal.

If a team takes an Ongoing Sponsorship, make a note of this on their roster. In the Post-match sequence of each game, when calculating the team’s winnings at Phase 3: Record Fortune and Fame, a team with an Ongoing Sponsor gains an additional D3 x 10,000 gold pieces. Then roll a D6. On a roll of 1, pick a random player on the team – that player has upset the sponsors somehow and must miss the next match following a visit from a pair of ‘intermediaries’. (If they are already missing the next match, there is no further effect.)

Teams can have any number of Ongoing Sponsorships – however, the roll to see whether the Sponsors are happy must be made for each one, with a random player missing the next match for each unhappy Sponsor!

Immediately after rolling to see whether the Sponsors aren’t happy, a coach can choose to end any of their Ongoing Sponsorships, deleting them from their roster.
One-time & Ongoing Sponsorships can be found and gained at the end of Phase 3 (Calculate Fortune and Fame)

One-time sponsorship does not specify the moment where money is earned.
Ongoing Sponsorship sepcifies that you earn money when calculating earnings for a match.

3) So we deduced that with the One-Time Sponsorship, you earned 1D6x10 000gp immediately after finding and gaining the One-time Sponsor.
4) And that with the Ongoing Sponsorship, when you first found and gained your ongoing sponsor, you didn't earn money, you had to wait for the next macht's post-match sequence's phase 3 to earn the 1D3x10 000gp.

5) But some people are bothered by the lack of coherency. Why not just make the "find a Sponsor" BEFORE generating the winnnings for the match and then just specify in the Ongoing Sponsoship that you have to wait until the next match to get your first earnings. So all earnings just happen at the same time for the sake of simplicity. Is there a game mechanic we didn't perceive ?

Another matter has arisen.

It is specified on the One Time Sponsorship that Rostered Star Players CANNOT miss the next game for a roll of 1 for the Sponsorship. So the Rostered Star Players are NOT included in the random selection of players for the Sponsorship D6 roll of 1.
It is specified on the Ongoing sponsorship that a Miss Next Game player CAN miss the next game for a roll of 1 for the Sponsorship (having then no effect). So the injured players ARE included in the random selection of players for the Sponsorship D6 roll of 1.

6) So for a One Time Sponsorship Deal, the Miss Next Game Players CANNOT be in the random selection for the Sponsorship D6 roll of 1 ?

7) So for a Ongoing Sponsorship Deal, a Rostered Star Player CAN be in the random selection for the Sponsorship D6 roll of 1 ? So a Rostered Star Player CAN miss the next game ?

Thanks for your feedback ! :)

Reason: ''
Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Gaining a Sponsor, One-Time, Ongoing & Major Sponsorship

Post by Baxx »

1) Yes of course.
2) Yes you can choose.
3) Yes.
4) Hmm never thought about it, guess I just grabbed the money when getting the ongoing sponsorship. Guess you're right about gaining the money after the subsequent games instead.
5) Yeah should be simpler. I don't think it matters much when you get the money or even if you get money from ongoing sponsorship starting with the time you gain the sponsorship.
6) Not sure, the player probably should not be one of those already missing next game. Either or probably don't matter, as long as everyone do the same thing.
7) Guess you're right here, the rules are not that coherent.

If you're confused by these minor inconsistencies found here, you should check out the status of the new Necromunda rules.

petitgars
Experienced
Experienced

Post by petitgars »

Baxx wrote: you should check out the status of the new Necromunda rules.
:lol:
Do you feel pain? Think about death, madam' !

ssb

Post by ssb »

Thanks for the feedback Baxx !

Anybody else has an opinion on the matter ?

Glamdryn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Glamdryn »

We felt that the rules were a bit ambiguous as well. Here is how we are handling it:

1 & 2) Anyone who wants to roll, rolls. They then decide what they want to take or nothing at all. No limits except for dice roll.

3 & 4 & 5) The timing was inconsistent in the rules, but it is clear from the rules what to do here, so we followed the rules. One Time is immediately payed out and On-Going occurs during Post Match of next match. Check out the Post-Match Sequence in the BBA on pgs. 134-135.

5 cont & 6 & 7) We clarified the MNG as anyone rostered on your team is a potential for the MNG. We don't play with rostered stars however. Thematically it makes sense that any player who is rostered no matter their status could get in trouble with the sponsor in between matches or during a match.

Hope this helps see what another league does.

petitgars
Experienced
Experienced

Post by petitgars »

8) If at point 7, the answer is "a Rostered Star Player" can miss a match, do you have to pay him at the end of the match to keep him?

JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

These questions were asked via the BB Facebook page. I know that because they were forwarded to me today. I'm not in the office until Thursday, I'll answer them then.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
ssb

Post by ssb »

JT-Y wrote:These questions were asked via the BB Facebook page. I know that because they were forwarded to me today. I'm not in the office until Thursday, I'll answer them then.
Yep, I saw your answer to the Spike! 3 questions and reoriented my post on Facebook... :)

Glamdryn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Glamdryn »

ssb wrote:
JT-Y wrote:These questions were asked via the BB Facebook page. I know that because they were forwarded to me today. I'm not in the office until Thursday, I'll answer them then.
Yep, I saw your answer to the Spike! 3 questions and reoriented my post on Facebook... :)
I missed the answers. It looks like they were deleted?

ssb

Post by ssb »

No, both posts have not been answered yet... :)