When do you annouce Disturbing Presence?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Marlow
Super Star
Super Star

When do you annouce Disturbing Presence?

Post by Marlow »

Salutations Readers,

I am not trying to be "that annoying guy" but since I mostly play online where it is automated I wanted to clear up when I have to tell my oponent they get -1, or more, to their throw/catch attempts? Do I have to tell them before they roll the dice? If so can they then move the thrower extra squares to try and get out of range? Does the word "must" is DP mean I have to use the skill?

Page 14 - Skills
Unless stated otherwise in the skill description you never have to use a skill just because the player’s got it, and you can choose to use a skill that affects a dice roll after rolling the dice. Some skills are also used in the opponent’s turn. In this case you may choose to use the skill after an opposing player carries out an Action or moves a square.

Disturbing Presence (page 41)
any player must subtract 1 from the D6 when they pass, intercept or catch for each opposing player with Disturbing Presence that is within three squares of them, even if the Disturbing Presence player is Prone or Stunned

Reason: ''
Ne cede melia, Marlow.
Trophies: MBBL Dungeon Bowl Season Nine; Boudica Bowl IV Stunty Cup
Leicester Blood Bowl League - http://www.leicesterbbleague.com/
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: When do you annouce Disturbing Presence?

Post by lunchmoney »

Marlow wrote: Do I have to tell them before they roll the dice? If so can they then move the thrower extra squares to try and get out of range? Does the word "must" is DP mean I have to use the skill?
At the start of the match you should highlight all your player's skills to your opponent, especially uncommon skills like DP. They should be aware of the presence of DP. That said, as soon as my opponent declares a Pass or Hand-off I would remind them of the skill, as a courtesy.
Marlow wrote:Does the word "must" is DP mean I have to use the skill?
Yep.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Marlow
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Marlow »

lunchmoney wrote:At the start of the match you should highlight all your player's skills to your opponent, especially uncommon skills like DP. They should be aware of the presence of DP. That said, as soon as my opponent declares a Pass or Hand-off I would remind them of the skill, as a courtesy.
That is what I do when I am playing a casual game; I just wondered what the actual rules were when playing a League game?

Ne cede melia, Marlow.
Trophies: MBBL Dungeon Bowl Season Nine; Boudica Bowl IV Stunty Cup
Leicester Blood Bowl League - http://www.leicesterbbleague.com/
gregory_n_white
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gregory_n_white »

I dont believe you have to tell the coach at all - its their responsibility to take into account any factors they consider important, before they decide a move.
Example - you dont have to tell them there is a tackle zone when they move/dodge - they should know this. So for DP I think its the same - they should be aware and factor it into their decision making.

Having said that - to be courteous, I try to put rings on my figures to identify skills and O normally remind my opponent the first time they do something and let them rethink/take back the move if they want. Then after that its up to them.

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

gregory_n_white wrote:its their responsibility to take into account any factors they consider important
I'm not sure it's in the rulebook but I think that is why you have to show your teamroster to your opponent when he wants to see it in most tournaments.

Since I play for fun and not for winning, it's a no-brainer for me to indicate such things even during a match.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I agree with Lunchmoney and Regesh.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

lunchmoney wrote:At the start of the match you should highlight all your player's skills to your opponent, especially uncommon skills like DP. They should be aware of the presence of DP.
+1
we don't face so many nurgle teams around (in our local league or on tourney)

Sainthropee
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Sainthropee »

In our league, we had 2 seasons with nurgle team on it. When a pass is coming, we (I and the other nurgle coach) remember before the roll: do you remember there is DP's player right? and the other coach may pass or gfi or not pass.

it's courtesy, but it's fair remark that (i think)

"Vice is a miscalculation in the pursuit of happiness"
(J. Bentham)
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Marlow wrote:That is what I do when I am playing a casual game; I just wondered what the actual rules were when playing a League game?
No difference.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

Another problem about Disturbing Presence: a lot of people are so keen on doing what they are doing that they will have thrown dice already sometimes. Same with Diving Tackle, same with Foul Appearance. Knowing the dice roll changes things dramatically and to my oppinion there is no way back from there. However, Foul Appearance is a little more tricky than the other two even then. What do you do with this nasty little skill if your opponent rolled pows without checking for FA before? What if he rolled a turnover?

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

When the game starts, you need to show your roster and be transparent about who has what skill. I wouldn't expect DP to be marked with skill rings or anything, Nurgle Warriors and the Best start with DP and at least in our league, skill rings are for extra earned skills.

It's courteous to remind your opponent of DP when you think he's about to pass or hand off. But I don't think it's required. Technically you're not even required to decide whether you use the skill or not until after your opponent throws the dice, although I can't think of a reason you wouldn't.

The downside is that not mentioning DP until the pass can come across as pretty rude.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
hissa-lives
Veteran
Veteran

Post by hissa-lives »

I ran a norse team in a tabletop league, i usually found that I'd remind the player about disturbing presence about 10 minutes after he'd made the throw then catch and run away. :roll: Nurgle team may be easier to remember though.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

rolo wrote: Technically you're not even required to decide whether you use the skill or not until after your opponent throws the dice, although I can't think of a reason you wouldn't.
Technically you are right in that you don't have to decide whether to use the skill or not - you have to use it.
As already quoted, but repeated for clarity (my highlight):
Disturbing Presence (Mutation)
This player's presence is very disturbing, whether it is caused by a
massive cloud of flies, sprays of soporific musk, an aura of random
chaos or intense cold, or a pheromone that causes fear and panic.
Regardless of the nature of this mutation, any player must subtract 1
from the D6 when they pass, intercept or catch for each opposing player
with Disturbing Presence that is within three squares of them, even if the
Disturbing Presence player is Prone or Stunned.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

:oops: well ... guess it really is always better to actually read the rules :D

Which is sad, because in the meantime, I'd thought of a situation where you'd possibly want to choose NOT to use DP!

A High Elf thrower (with Safe Throw) is throwing a Long Pass. It's normally accurate on 4+, inaccurate on a 3, and fumbled on a 1-2, but he's standing in range of DP.
The pass comes up 1, and he uses Pass (just so, in this situation, he's stuck with the second roll).
The second roll comes up 3. This would be an inaccurate pass and very likely a turnover. BUT with the -1 penalty to passing in DP, it's a fumble - and with Safe Throw, he just holds on to the ball and it's not a turnover.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

I completely forgot about Snow Trolls having DP when using Norse until an opponent reminded me lol

All the tournaments I've been to and any of the distant league games I've played in we have always shown which players have which skill either with a skill ring or identified with numbers and the team roster.
Saying that in any instance that I have made a mistake, unless I have rolled the dice I will move the player back to the original square. I think this is the normal thing to do.
During the game you will talk to opponents and say move-dodge on a 3+ yeah? Yes, pass 3+? No DP oh ok 4+ then yeah ok. Then roll the dice. This is how my games go mostly in my math is rubbish I often check.

It's not like Warhammer closed lists. It's more like open lists if that makes sense but you will be talking about all your actions before rolling dice anyway. As that is in the rules to declare your actions.

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.