Hailmary Goblin Bombardier

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

daNNux
Rookie
Rookie

Post by daNNux »

After first listening on the goblin orca-cola podcast with this great gobbo player i checken out his blogg.

On it he posted that a hailmary passed bomb could not be thrown back at him.

Din i just misread the whole thing or have i missed something critical?

Quote:

And then of course there's Combustaball. Normally bombadiers are a pretty marginal inclusion on a goblin squad, as their range is limited, their accuracy is atrocious, and they're just as likely to blow up your own team (or himself) as the opposition. But a HMP bomber is a completely different question; unlimited range, can't be intercepted (or thrown back!), and almost impossible to fumble if you've a reroll in hand. He's sooooo much fun to use, even if he misses as often as he hits.

Link, 3 post
http://bbtactics.com/forums/snotballz-r ... ion-t1896/

Reason: ''
fanglord13
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fanglord13 »

The ball can be caught by your own player or an opposition player if it lands in their square (or adjacent if they have Diving Catch) and thrown back that way but certainly not intercepted.

daNNux
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Hailmary Goblin Bombardier

Post by daNNux »

I know it cant be intercepted. It was the "not throw" back thingie that made me really confused :?: :?: :?:

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

He's incorrect in that post, but I wont be reading the full 129 page thread to see if anyone corrected him. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

It was probably ment in terms of the HMP Bomber being lined up right at the back of his own half so if he throws a HMP bomb onto mid-field or the other players half, for the bomb to be thrown back AT THE BOMBER then the bomb has to scatter onto a player, be caught and then thrown back at long-bomb range. I would guess.

Bottom line, if someone is in a square where a bomb is to land, if they catchit they can throw it, HMP doesn't affect that.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

IIRC, if they catch it, they must throw it. If they don't want to throw, just decline catching and enjoy the boom. Probably the rules are so to avoid wasting time with purposeless rolls.

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

Could it also be a glitch in the Cyanide version? As I understand, Dalryk is only playing the online version.

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Saebelsultan wrote:Could it also be a glitch in the Cyanide version? As I understand, Dalryk is only playing the online version.
Many "glitches" in Cyanide's version about the HMP. The fact you can use it in a blizzard is one. It wouldnt surprise me that you can intercept a HMP as well.

But as far the rules are concerned, you cant intercept a HMP, but if the ball/bomb happens to land on player they can catch it. And if it's a bomb you have to throw it back if you catch it.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
daNNux
Rookie
Rookie

Post by daNNux »

Thats what i thought. Thanks.

CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

Steam Ball wrote:IIRC, if they catch it, they must throw it. If they don't want to throw, just decline catching and enjoy the boom. Probably the rules are so to avoid wasting time with purposeless rolls.
Rolling to catch is never optional.
p. 63 wrote:A bomb may be intercepted or caught using the same rules for catching the ball
p. 13 wrote:If the ball lands in a square occupied by a standing player, then the player must attempt to catch the ball.
Emphasis was not added by me.
I know p. 63 says "may," but having read several of Galak's post on this forum I can confidently say that the possibility of not catching the bomb is determined by the dice not the coach.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

CyberedElf wrote:
Steam Ball wrote:IIRC, if they catch it, they must throw it. If they don't want to throw, just decline catching and enjoy the boom. Probably the rules are so to avoid wasting time with purposeless rolls.
Rolling to catch is never optional.
Well, then why the bombardier rule says "or is declined"?
page 63 wrote:The bomb explodes when it lands in an empty square or an opportunity to catch the bomb fails or is declined (i.e., bombs don’t ‘bounce’).

Mhorr
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mhorr »

Maybe a dumb question but just to be sure: if a bomb is thrown at a big guy who need activation he don't need to do the activation roll, right?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Correct.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Mhorr wrote:Maybe a dumb question but just to be sure: if a bomb is thrown at a big guy who need activation he don't need to do the activation roll, right?
Darkson wrote:Correct.
To expand, Big Guys (and vampires) only need to roll for their nega-trait if they declare an action. Them catching a ball/bomb is not a declared action. However, if a Bone Head or Really Stupid player currently has no tackle zone due to failing their roll, they cannot attempt the catch (this is great fun, tossing a bomb in the chest of a stupid troll :) )

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

I would had say all that too...
A bomb may be intercepted or caught using the same rules for catching the ball, in which case the player catching it must throw it again immediately. This is a special bonus Action that takes place out of the normal sequence of play.
but it says "bonus action". Maybe that is why Mhorr asked? Maybe it should not say action? :-?