Chef Timing

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Chef Timing

Post by sann0638 »

Search fail. When exactly is the Chef used? Before the kick-off of each half, but after the teams have set up?

This is how it is implemented on Fumbbl, and how I've always played it, but a famour rules lawyer* said something different at the weekend.

*Initials LM.

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
duttydave
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Chef Timing

Post by duttydave »

The rules are not that specific. Under the inducement description for the Master Chef it says "Roll 3D6 at the start of each half to see what effect the chef's cooking has on the team".

After set up but before the kick sounds reasonable. Does it really matter?

What was his issue?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

We always play it before set up. It may dictate where you want to put your players if you end up with no rerolls (for example, do you risk the unskilled BOB or the Blitzer).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

duttydave wrote:What was his issue?
No issue, just an interesting debate. I would play before set up, but it's one of those things that is inaccurate. Might for example affect whether you put your Ag4 chap back or Ag3 with sure hands.

Rules nerding, mostly.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

It was an issue this weekend on more than one match that I happened to be sat next to.
duttydave wrote: Does it really matter?
Here's the example (names and races changed to protect the innocent) where it makes a difference:

Team Underworld has 2 RRs.
Team Halfling has no RRs but a chef.
Team underworld set up to kick, Team Halfling set up to receive.
The ball is placed and scattered. The kick off table is rolled. Cheering Fans. Team Underworld win a RR.
Chef is rolled and 3 4+'s appear.
Team Underworld now have zero RRs.

And the other way around:
Team Underworld has 2 RRs.
Team Halfling has no RRs but a chef.
Team underworld set up to kick, Team Halfling set up to receive.
The ball is placed and scattered. Chef is rolled and 3 4+'s appear.
The kick off table is rolled. Cheering Fans. Team Underworld win a RR.
Team Underworld now have one RR.

So it can make a difference.
sann0638 wrote:Search fail..
I also cant find a post that I thought I saw. It appears I was making shit up :wink:

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
duttydave
Star Player
Star Player

Post by duttydave »

Al, I can see that it would affect play in that example but I understood Mike was saying that the Chef roll was before the kick so that the above scenario of stealing a cheering fans re-roll shouldn't arise.

I can see how it may affect how you may wish to set up though.

I suppose if anyone is concerned then it may be best to roll before set up or agree with your opponent when the chef will be rolled.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

duttydave wrote:Al, I can see that it would affect play in that example but I understood Mike was saying that the Chef roll was before the kick so that the above scenario of stealing a cheering fans re-roll shouldn't arise.
The example I gave is from a match I was sat next to on Sunday.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
duttydave
Star Player
Star Player

Post by duttydave »

lunchmoney wrote:The example I gave is from a match I was sat next to on Sunday.
I guess in that instance the Halfling player was being a bit crafty or genuinely didn't know and it was a happy accident for him.

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

duttydave wrote:Al, I can see that it would affect play in that example but I understood Mike was saying that the Chef roll was before the kick so that the above scenario of stealing a cheering fans re-roll shouldn't arise.
The rule says "at the start of each half", it doesn't even say before or after the kick-off.

Another example: if you say it's before kick-off table is it before or after you decide to kick/receive (in 1st half) i.e. if you know you have trouble picking up the ball and the halflings steal all your re-rolls can you choose to kick and hope they don't steall all your re-rolls in the second half?

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Fumbbl plays it just after set up but before the kick. I quote them as when programming they hammered out a lot of minutiae (sp?)

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

sann0638 wrote:Fumbbl plays it just after set up but before the kick. I quote them as when programming they hammered out a lot of minutiae (sp?)
Don't, as they still have things wrong (not as many as Cyanide though).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Such as?

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Such as the link.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

What?

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

The link in my post.