Chef Timing

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: Chef Timing

Post by sann0638 »

Righty-ho. Back on topic now...

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Pug
Legend
Legend

Post by Pug »

I play the Chef before setup. This gives the opponent a chance to change tactics due to re-rolls remaining....after 100+ games with Flings had no complaints.

"In Dodge We Trust"
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I always thought before setup but after weather / FAME / toss.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Back to this, what happens if both players have a chef? Can gained rerolls be lost? I would assume not, anyone got a definitive answer?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

I found this in the rules:
Blood Bowl is split into two halves of sixteen turns each (i.e., eight turns per coach).
So maybe a half starts with the first action of a turn, which should be moving the turn marker...
Just a guess... :orc:

RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

I would believe so since a chef dies not only steal rerolls, he also produces them when none are legt with the opponent

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

I think the chef should be done before setting anyone up, though after determining who plays first etc. It doesn't affect leader rolls, so I take that to mean it is rolled at a point where leader rolls have not yet been added.

Also it means extra rolls from cheerleaders can't be nicked.

This way everybody wins! (Sort of).

In terms of both having a chef, the way I've seen it done is you do them at the same time, and chef rolls can't steal chef rolls. So basically you each get a roll of a 4+, and after that's all been done you remove x rerolls from your opponents team reroll pile, where x is the amount you gained.

Regash

Post by Regash »

sann0638 wrote:Back to this, what happens if both players have a chef? Can gained rerolls be lost? I would assume not, anyone got a definitive answer?
I'd say that a chef works at the exact same time as the other. So I'd say, rerolls that are won by your chef can't be stolen by the other chef, as they didn't exist when they started cooking.

Gnuccerzi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gnuccerzi »

sann0638 wrote:Back to this, what happens if both players have a chef? Can gained rerolls be lost? I would assume not, anyone got a definitive answer?
Since both chefs create and remove the team re-rolls at the exact same time, discussing whether or not the created re-rolls should be negated by the opposing chef would be a philosophical question. Can the created team re-rolls be negated in the very same instant they are created? They may or may exist at the moment of creation depending on how you look at it. One can call them Schrödinger's re-rolls.

Instead of bothering oneself with such a discussion, I suggest that you look at the purpose of the rule. I believe that if I pay 100-300k for the chance to get team re-rolls and remove the opponent's team re-rolls, you should get what you paid for i.e. the chef should negate the opponent team re-rolls regardless of whether the opposing chef has just created the re-rolls or if the team had them beforehand. Removing the function would go against the purpose of the rule according to me.

The second argument is that if the re-rolls created by a chef can't be negated by the opposing chef, that may give an unfair advantage to the team that started with fewer re-rolls. Especially in the case where both teams roll 3x 4+ on their chef rolls. A team that started with 3 re-rolls (worth 180k) would in that case have all three negated while a team starting with zero re-rolls would not. That is unbalanced and I don't believe it is the intended use of the rule.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

My view would be on-roster rerolls only and rolled after rolling to kick but before set-up begins.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Same as Darkson here.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Regash wrote:
I'd say that a chef works at the exact same time as the other. So I'd say, rerolls that are won by your chef can't be stolen by the other chef, as they didn't exist when they started cooking.
Halfling Chefs only take on-roster re-rolls. Not re-rolls earned by the Kickoff table or other Halfling Chefs. The rolls take place before Kickoff table and the Chefs roll at technically the same time so the Chef stolen/created re-rolls are not available yet to take.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

Sorry everyone. Just to clarify would "on roster re-rolls" include inducement (extra training) re-rolls or not?

Cheers,
Michael

If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
Regash

Post by Regash »

CRP, Inducement description, page 69 wrote:0-4 Extra Team Training:
Each extra team training session costs 100,000 gold pieces and allows the team to take one extra Team re-roll that may be used for this match only.
CRP, INducement description, page 69 wrote:0-1 Halfling Master Chef:
Halfling teams may hire a Halfling Master Chef for 100,000 gold pieces; any other team can hire the Chef for 300,000 gold pieces. Roll 3D6 at the start of each half to see what effect the chef’s cooking has on the team. For each dice that rolls 4 or more, the team is so inspired that they gain a Team Re-roll, and in addition, the opposing team is so distracted by the fantastic cooking smells emanating from their opponent’s dug-out that they lose a Team Re-roll (but only if they have any left to lose).
Since inducemt re-rolls are declared as "Team re-rolls" and the Chef steals Team re-rolls, I'd say yes, he does steal them as well.
There is nothing about on-roster rerolls in the rules.
He can't steal re-rolls the other teams Chef has stolen, because both Chefs do their work at the same time, so these re-rolls are non-existent when stealin occurs.
Extra Training Team re-rolls are created before the game even starts.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

yes the Chef can steal inducement re-rolls ... those are considered Team Re-rolls.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers