Catch roll vs roll to catch vs attempt to catch

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Gimli
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Catch roll vs roll to catch vs attempt to catch

Post by Gimli »

I agree on interceptions. And I'd like to agree on Handoffs, but read the description of Hand-offs at p. 20 - it doesn't actually treat a Hand-Off as an accurate pass. Rather, it "automatically hits the targeted player", who then gets a +1 for "catching a hand-off". The new DC description reads "...add 1 to any catch roll from an accurate pass targeted to his square." Is a hand-off "an accurate pass targeted to his square"? Galak, could we get your views on this point?

Reason: ''
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

Gimli wrote:I agree on interceptions. And I'd like to agree on Handoffs, but read the description of Hand-offs at p. 20 - it doesn't actually treat a Hand-Off as an accurate pass. Rather, it "automatically hits the targeted player", who then gets a +1 for "catching a hand-off". The new DC description reads "...add 1 to any catch roll from an accurate pass targeted to his square." Is a hand-off "an accurate pass targeted to his square"? Galak, could we get your views on this point?
maybe it was 5th ed that treated it as an accurate pass (hence the normal +1)

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
JPS
Experienced
Experienced

Post by JPS »

daloonieshaman wrote:
Gimli wrote:I agree on interceptions. And I'd like to agree on Handoffs, but read the description of Hand-offs at p. 20 - it doesn't actually treat a Hand-Off as an accurate pass. Rather, it "automatically hits the targeted player", who then gets a +1 for "catching a hand-off". The new DC description reads "...add 1 to any catch roll from an accurate pass targeted to his square." Is a hand-off "an accurate pass targeted to his square"? Galak, could we get your views on this point?
maybe it was 5th ed that treated it as an accurate pass (hence the normal +1)
I believe you have to go all the way back to pre-LRB days. I would guess that the rules were reworded at some point specifically to clarify that Handoffs and Passes are two entirely different things. There is nothing in the rules since LRB 5.0 that would indicate that Handoffs have anything to do with Passes.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Gimli wrote:Galak, could we get your views on this point?
LRB 5.0 (maybe even LRB 4.0 (not sure) ... but definitely 5.0 removed any reference to passing for the Hand-off. So no a Hand-off is not an accurate pass or a pass of any type so no Passing skills work on it and Diving Catch does not work.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

daloonieshaman wrote:interceptions NO
Handoff yes as it is an accurate pass
Hand offs are NOT accurate passes and you cannot use DC to get a +1 to catch.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

+1 to catch a hand off RAWp20

Looks like DC will give the AG3 players the ball handling abilities of an Elf!

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Smurf wrote:+1 to catch a hand off RAWp20

Looks like DC will give the AG3 players the ball handling abilities of an Elf!
Uh .. no Smurf.

Diving Catch requires a pass so all the text on page 20 pretty much clearly says that Diving Catch does not work on a Hand-off. Look at the text on page 20 ... no text at all about accurate or inaccurate passes.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers