Ball and Chain question

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

fire olli
Super Star
Super Star

Ball and Chain question

Post by fire olli »

Hi all,

In the rules for ball and chain it says if you get a push back you must follow up. I am not sure if you have to follow up if you knock down the player you are hitting. :?:

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

The Pow and Pow! are both "pushed back and down", so yes, you have to follow.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
khudzlin
Experienced
Experienced

Post by khudzlin »

just thought of something: Ball & Chain states the player "must follow up", while Frenzy states the player "must follow up if they can" (emphasis mine) -- does that mean Ball & Chain overrides Fend?

styphon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by styphon »

khudzlin wrote:just thought of something: Ball & Chain states the player "must follow up", while Frenzy states the player "must follow up if they can" (emphasis mine) -- does that mean Ball & Chain overrides Fend?
Yes, you can't fend against Ball & Chain.

Proud member of the Herts & Essex Blood Bowl League - http://www.hebbl.co.uk
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Intuitively, I can see how B&C should override Fend... but... fend is specifically designed NOT to allow followups UNLESS overriden by Juggernaut.... Still... B&C will even push prone and stunned players... while Juggernaut will not....

A real conundrum....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Read this earlier, but decided to mull over my answer over lunch

I'm in the B&C overrides fend camp

how do you realistically fend off someone whirling a big ball and chain around

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I agree, though technically it is a grey area.

The only "out" I can see is that the Fend skill states that "Opposing players may not follow-up blocks" - may seems to be used (mostly) for voluntary actions (small a), so it could be read as "Opposing players may not voluntarily follow-up blocks", which would allow B&C to override fend with no problem.

Stretching, I know. :wink:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Stout Youngblood
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Stout Youngblood »

I would say Fend does prevent the follow up of the Ball & Chain.

Fend: "Opposing players may not follow-up blocks made against this player even if the Fend player is Knocked Down."

The Ball & Chain "If during his Move Action he would move into an occupied square then the player will throw a block following normal blocking rules against whoever is in that square"

Nowhere in the description of Ball & Chain does it state Fend can't be used as in the Juggernaut skill.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

deffo one that needs clarification

lerchey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by lerchey »

Hm. So, assuming that Fend prevents follow-up by the B&C goblin, if the goblin rolls to move, moves into a Fend players space, blocks and gets a Pow!, since the B&C can't follow-up, does that end his move, or does he start the process over (assuming he still has MA) in the space that he was in when he hit the Fend player?

duckwing
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by duckwing »

lerchey wrote:Hm. So, assuming that Fend prevents follow-up by the B&C goblin, if the goblin rolls to move, moves into a Fend players space, blocks and gets a Pow!, since the B&C can't follow-up, does that end his move, or does he start the process over (assuming he still has MA) in the space that he was in when he hit the Fend player?
I don't see any reason why this would stop the movement. The rules state he has to use his whole ma, and there's nothing to normally prevent a blitzing player to continue moving after having blocked a player with fend.

Praise Nuffle!
Fat_Emrys
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Fat_Emrys »

Moving into the square the Fend player was standing in when hit by the b&c as the goblin's next move isn't the same as following up - when the goblin next moves that square will be empty anyway as the Fender will have been pushed back but the B&C won't have been able to follow up.

BBoing! is NOT bback! - see here for details
SChWiNG - The Society of Chainsaw Wielding Naughty Goblins - needs you!
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

normal skills work against B&C
Fend, SS so on as The Fanatic is throwing a Block (actually several, lol) and subject to all the standard rules of Block (for each one)
He has to move the 3 squares of MA but does not have to GFI (unless he wants to) (I think Fungus has a MA 4??)

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
Xeterog
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Xeterog »

even tho the fanatic is blocking, he his not taking a Block Action..he's moving into the square of the target player and as a side effect of that is throwing the block...I don't think fend should work.

-Xeterog
khudzlin
Experienced
Experienced

Post by khudzlin »

fanatics already ignore foul appearance, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to have them ignore fend as well -- we're talking about insane gobbos drugged to the gills and lugging balls and chains, after all