3 questions in one post

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

3 questions in one post

Post by stashman »

Something come up in todays gam.

Three questions.

1. If you blitz with chainsaw, do you need to take a move square to use the chainsaw (like a block on a blitz) or do you just have to be in adjent squrae to use chainsaw? Like if you reach to be in adjent square but do you have to GFI to roll chainsaw block.

2. If you use Stab in above question, is it the same, you need to take an extra square?

3. When fouling, is it the same, need to use an extra move to foul or just be in adjent square?

Thanks alot for any help.

/// Stashman

Reason: ''
tenwit
Star Player
Star Player

Post by tenwit »

From Chainsaw rule:
instead of making a block as part of a Block or Blitz Action.
From Stab rule:
instead of throwing a block
So in these cases, you have to follow the normal rules for the Blitz Action, which means spending a point of movement before throwing the block.

For the Foul Action:
his allows the player to move a number of squares equal to his MA and then make a foul against an opposing player who is Prone or Stunned and in an adjacent square.
Nothing about spending a point of movement. Which is fair enough, since you can't follow up a foul.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

I would say no in all 3 cases as you are not looking to follow up....

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
s031720
Veteran
Veteran

Post by s031720 »

Interesting question, and important to sort out.

From the blitz rule:
"Blitz: The player may move a number of squares equal to their
MA. He may make one block during the move. The block may be
made at any point during the move, and ‘costs’ one square of
movement"

From follow up rule:
"Players that are blitzing are allowed to make
follow up moves, and the move does not cost them any of their
movement (as they paid a square in order to make the block,
they have effectively already paid for the move)."

This is how I might argue, had this come up:
To make a block during blitz costs one extra movement. The return is that you may follow up for "free" if you choose.
When using any of the above mentioned skills instead of block, block is not used, so rules specifically mentioning block shouldnt apply to them. Instead their individual ruleexplanations should be used. Had this cost of one extra movement been meant to apply to other skills usable during blitz aswell, it would have been mentioned under the blitz-rule. Its circumstancial support to this view that there is no follow up move to either of the above mentioned skills.

I admit this to be an ad hoc argument, since in our league we do not charge one movement for other skills than block. :) But im sure it could easily be argued that we should.

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."

Thus there is a point in time when you shouldnt.
tenwit
Star Player
Star Player

Post by tenwit »

The intention is that during a Blitz Action you may do anything that it equivalent to throwing a block, at the cost of one point of movement. In the blitz rules, this is called "making a block". The options for "making a block" are:

# Throwing the block dice, as per LRB pp.9,10.
# Using the Chainsaw skill
# Using the Stab skill
# Using the Frenzy skill
# ..probably a few others that I've forgotten.

stashman

Post by stashman »

Is there a FAQ on this?

Vigfus
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Vigfus »

Quite simple if you ask me.

No in all three cases. The reasoning:

1) Chainsaw:
Rulebook wrote:Blitz: The player may move a number of squares equal to their
MA. He may make one block during the move. The block may be
made at any point during the move, and ‘costs’ one square of
movement

Chainsaw: A player armed with a chainsaw must attack with it instead of making a block as part of a Block or Blitz Action.
In other words, if you make do a blitz with a chainsaw, you move and instead of a block, you use the chainsaw. As you do not use the block part of the blitz, you do not have to pay the cost of one square movement. Note the rules forbid moving the chainsaw after you've blocked with it.

2) Stab
Rulebook wrote:Stab: This player may attack an opponent with their stabbing attack instead of throwing a block at them.
Same reasoning as for the chainsaw, the no move after block is also specifically mentioned.

3) Foul
Rulebook wrote:Fouling action: However, when you use this rule, one player per turn is allowed to take a Foul Action. This allows the player to move a number of squares equal to his MA and then make a foul against an opposing player who is Prone or Stunned and in an adjacent square.
The rule clearly states that you only need to move to an adjacent square, so you don't need to spend movement to actually foul, just enough to get into an adjacent square. Note that on the Javabloodbowlclient, this rule is misprogrammed and you actually need to spend that movement.

I am De Duvel, but you can call me Sjapie
stashman

Post by stashman »

Ian and Galak give us something that you as BBRC think is right in this questions.

PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

stashman wrote:Ian and Galak give us something that you as BBRC think is right in this questions.
It has been 28hrs since you posted your question.

I think bolding and sizing up might be a little bit over the top.

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

I'm 100% with tenwit here. Chainsaw attacks and stabs are the equivalent of blocks, so you need to expend a sq of MA, fouling isn't and the rulebook says you only need to go adjacent to the player.

bouncergriim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by bouncergriim »

I agree, if it replaces a block as part of a blitz then it takes a movement. Whereas fouls never specifically state they require a movement.

I would say the genral description of an action takes precident, even if the actual action is replaced by something else.

That would seem to be the most consistant. And rules should be as consistant as possible with exceptions spelt out specifically.

stashman

Post by stashman »

PubBowler wrote:
stashman wrote:Ian and Galak give us something that you as BBRC think is right in this questions.
It has been 28hrs since you posted your question.

I think bolding and sizing up might be a little bit over the top.
fixed and sorry :oops:

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: 3 questions in one post

Post by GalakStarscraper »

stashman wrote:Something come up in todays gam.

Three questions.

1. If you blitz with chainsaw, do you need to take a move square to use the chainsaw (like a block on a blitz) or do you just have to be in adjent squrae to use chainsaw? Like if you reach to be in adjent square but do you have to GFI to roll chainsaw block.
Chainsaw and Stab replace blocks which means you pay for the block (ie one point of movement during a blitz) and then replace the block with the Chainsaw or Stab attack. So yes you need to GFI if you use all your movement to get adjacent to the player and then want to Chainsaw or Stab.

Put another way ... if I tell you that you can replace a candy bar for a lollipop. You cannot run up to me and say give me a lollipop if you don't already have the candy bar. Similarly ... there is no block to replace until you pay for the point of movement that allows it to happen.
2. If you use Stab in above question, is it the same, you need to take an extra square?
See above answer
3. When fouling, is it the same, need to use an extra move to foul or just be in adjent square?
The fouling rules specifically state that you can foul from an adjacent square so no point of movement is needed to make the foul.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
stashman

Post by stashman »

Big thanks Galak.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

BTW if someone posts an answer to a rules question and neither Galak nor I respond with an day or so then its very likely the answer was right so we didn't bother commenting.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams